News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Elite 8 - Terrapin Station Region - 1-Grateful Dead v 2-Led Zeppelin

Started by UncleEbinezer, March 30, 2011, 10:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: cactusfan on March 31, 2011, 04:17:09 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on March 31, 2011, 02:10:19 PM
Quote from: sophist on March 31, 2011, 09:47:12 AM
I'm sorry you guys think shitting out the same blues licks with flat fourths and string bending constitutes shredding.  At the end of the day, Jimmy Page relied too heavily on the pentatonic scale, where as Garcia was so well versed in music theory that it's not even close.  Playing faster doesn't mean he's better.
I would never argue the calibre of musicianship.   :syf: takes that category without a doubt.  But Zep are just so classic with their style and playing, I found this matchup a difficult decision.

john bonham is rolling over in his grave... drunkenly...
I'm sorry, which blues licks are you referring to that Bonham played?

and this.
Quote from: rowjimmy on April 01, 2011, 11:28:13 AM
Quote from: mehead on April 01, 2011, 10:02:33 AM

Best

Album

Ever
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Multibeast12

I'm sorry you guys think shitting out the same blues licks with flat fourths and string bending constitutes shredding.  At the end of the day, Jimmy Page relied too heavily on the pentatonic scale, where as Garcia was so well versed in music theory that it's not even close.  Playing faster doesn't mean he's better.
So much this, And Pages sloppiness after a while just fucking kills me. Seriously dude your considered one of the top guitarists and you play like utter slop shit. BUt don't get me wrong Zep was my favorite band for many many years. But now when i listen to them i listen to JPJ. He is just incredible. The things that man can do is just amazing. Such and incredible and well versed musician.

But i will vote dead. well because i just like them more.

I will pick this theard to say it. The lack of Sabbath in this greatly disappoints me. and they are the only band that i would vote over Phish. Just because It's fucking Sabbath. Fucking master of reality is a fucking musical master piece. Ever song just kicks so much ass.

MiamiPhish

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 01, 2011, 12:30:33 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on March 31, 2011, 04:17:09 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on March 31, 2011, 02:10:19 PM
I would never argue the calibre of musicianship.   :syf: takes that category without a doubt.  But Zep are just so classic with their style and playing, I found this matchup a difficult decision.

john bonham is rolling over in his grave... drunkenly...
I'm sorry, which blues licks are you referring to that Bonham played?

He was talking about Page...

qop24

I had no idea so many people hated page....

w/e , more for me  :rawk:

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

sophist

Quote from: MiamiPhish on April 01, 2011, 10:52:36 AM

Sorry I'm late to the party... but really... SHITTING out notes?  I'd say this is bordering on blasphemous.

I think it's ridiculous to point out that Page had a crutch to his playing and to turn a blind eye to Garcia's crutches on the instrument.

Let's face it, neither are/were the world's greatest technicians on the instrument.  And Garcia grew up in the 60s San Fran, whereas Page grew up in the 60s London.

So, basically, apples and oranges.  But to say it's not even close?  That's definitely a lol.

It's not even close.  One guy studied music theory, the other guy has little to no background in music.  That's not even close in my book.  Both were talented, I'm not arguing that.  I also can dig both, but in my eyes, Garcia was leaps and bounds above him in his approach to guitar.  That's all I'm saying. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

phil

Quote from: sophist on April 04, 2011, 09:33:41 AM

Sorry I'm late to the party... but really... SHITTING out notes?  I'd say this is bordering on blasphemous.

I think it's ridiculous to point out that Page had a crutch to his playing and to turn a blind eye to Garcia's crutches on the instrument.

Let's face it, neither are/were the world's greatest technicians on the instrument.  And Garcia grew up in the 60s San Fran, whereas Page grew up in the 60s London.

So, basically, apples and oranges.  But to say it's not even close?  That's definitely a lol.

It's not even close.  One guy studied music theory, the other guy has little to no background in music.  That's not even close in my book.  Both were talented, I'm not arguing that.  I also can dig both, but in my eyes, Garcia was leaps and bounds above him in his approach to guitar.  That's all I'm saying.

I love both page and garcia to death, but I gotta agree with sophist on this one. Garcia was so much more multi-faceted and prolific in his music-making endeavors (more to love!) which is one of the reasons that my vote went to GD despite the fact that Zep was the first music I fell in love with. I'd vote that way thousands of times over simply based on the virtue of Jerry's relentless pursuit of musical perfection.

And the Jone Paul Jones argument is really on point because, to me, he was the heart and soul behind led zeppelin. I might just be biased towards my fellow bass player on this one, but without JPJ, led zeppelin would be terribly uninteresting.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

Pholy M. Pia

Quote from: phil on April 04, 2011, 10:08:29 AM
Quote from: sophist on April 04, 2011, 09:33:41 AM

I love both page and garcia to death, but I gotta agree with sophist on this one. Garcia was so much more multi-faceted and prolific in his music-making endeavors (more to love!) which is one of the reasons that my vote went to GD despite the fact that Zep was the first music I fell in love with. I'd vote that way thousands of times over simply based on the virtue of Jerry's relentless pursuit of musical perfection.

And the Jone Paul Jones argument is really on point because, to me, he was the heart and soul behind led zeppelin. I might just be biased towards my fellow bass player on this one, but without JPJ, led zeppelin would be terribly uninteresting.

Well put, Phil. Same here. Jimmy was the beginning, but Jerry takes me to far more and different places. Similarly, JPJ and Phil. Love em both.
:syf: to win.
"Be in your own movie." - Ken Kesey

khalpin

I'm curious what the results of this poll would be at various other band's message boards

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: khalpin on April 04, 2011, 01:58:43 PM
I'm curious what the results of this poll would be at various other band's message boards

Me too.

they would undoubtably be drastically different.
Bring in the dude!

khalpin

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 04, 2011, 02:07:40 PM

Me too.

Yeah, definitely.  But I'd be more curious to where the crossover is.  Where would this be a 50/50 vote, etc.  Although, I guess that question exists for every matchup. 

phil

Quote from: khalpin on April 04, 2011, 02:38:47 PM

Me too.

Yeah, definitely.  But I'd be more curious to where the crossover is.  Where would this be a 50/50 vote, etc.  Although, I guess that question exists for every matchup.

I think the vast majority of boards for non-improvisation-oriented music would have Zep blowing GD out of the water. A lot of people love to blindly hate on the dead. It's a shame, and maybe not universal but it's what I've observed.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

gah

Quote from: phil on April 04, 2011, 02:45:00 PM

Me too.

I think the vast majority of boards for non-improvisation-oriented music would have Zep blowing GD out of the water. A lot of people love to blindly hate on the dead. It's a shame, and maybe not universal but it's what I've observed.

I don't think it would just be the "blind hate" on the dead that would have Led Zep winning on other boards.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

phil

Quote from: goodabouthood on April 04, 2011, 03:21:17 PM
Quote from: phil on April 04, 2011, 02:45:00 PM

Me too.

I don't think it would just be the "blind hate" on the dead that would have Led Zep winning on other boards.

Led Zeppelin are certainly deserving of all the praise they receive but I think that a lot of votes would be cast against the dead as much as they would be cast in favor of led zeppelin. In contrast, many of the votes on this board are prefaced with "this is certainly not a vote against X, but simply a vote for Y" followed by the acknowledgement that both are deserving of recognition.