News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Elite 8 - Round 4 - Gamehenge Region - 1-Phish v 11-Miles Davis

Started by UncleEbinezer, March 30, 2011, 10:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

mbw

McGrupp

Phish beating Miles Davis. I realize that most of us aren't voting based on objectivity... but this is just silly to me.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: McGrupp on March 31, 2011, 09:39:49 AM
Phish beating Miles Davis. I realize that most of us aren't voting based on objectivity... but this is just silly to me.

Really? this is a Phish board. I mean, there are aspects of Miles that I love... there are aspects of Boston that I love. I grew a white suburban kid from New Jersey. I got my music from the mall. Is it so hard to understand that I voted for Phish?
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

McGrupp

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 31, 2011, 09:44:55 AM
Quote from: McGrupp on March 31, 2011, 09:39:49 AM

Really? this is a Phish board. I mean, there are aspects of Miles that I love... there are aspects of Boston that I love. I grew a white suburban kid from New Jersey. I got my music from the mall. Is it so hard to understand that I voted for Phish?

I didn't say I'm surprised. I said I think it's silly. However, as you were someone arguing about beethoven and the beatles being 'cornerstones' in music, "and then there's everything else", I do have to admit I almost called you out for your vote in this round/region, as Miles is arguably WAY more 'important' than Phish.

I know we've all seen this argument from a mile away (get it?) - but, Miles Davis IS jazz. He's one of the few artists that was around to see everything. He saw the evolution from swing to bop ALL the way to hip hop. He's played on just about every kind of album, and met pretty much everyone who matters in the music biz. The dude is a freaking legend. Without miles, Improvisational music wouldn't be what it is today. Anyone who hasn't seen the Miles Davis A&E Biography should check it out. Miles, to me, is king. I would vote for him over the beatles - no question.

I mean, Rock and Roll is cool and all. I grew up listening to Rock, too. I didn't get into jazz until I was in high school and even then I was into the more modern 'fusion' shit. Even though Phish is probably a "bigger part" of my life, Miles changed my life in ways I cannot even put into words. YEM, Tweezer, Ghost, etc are all GREAT songs, don't get me wrong. But sit down with some headphones and listen to Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, Miles Smiles, In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew... shit, even Live Evil, and tell me that's not some of the deepest and most important music you've ever heard.

Miles all day, baby.
8-)

edit to add: I just realized that you were paraphrasing Trey in Bittersweet Motel, PG...  :lol:

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

phuzzyfish12

Quote from: Hicks on March 31, 2011, 12:26:08 AM
The Talking Heads must be avenged!

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!

I am however voting  :phish: this round  :-D

susep

Quote from: McGrupp on March 31, 2011, 09:57:51 AM
But sit down with some headphones and listen to Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, Miles Smiles, In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew... shit, even Live Evil, and tell me that's not some of the deepest and most important music you've ever heard.

8-)

WhatstheUse?

I could sit down for years and listen to Miles.... but that's never going to make me like him more than the  :phish:
Bring in the dude!

McGrupp

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 31, 2011, 10:12:58 AM
I could sit down for years and listen to Miles.... but that's never going to make me like him more than the  :phish:

Quote from: McGrupp on March 31, 2011, 09:57:51 AM
I didn't say I'm surprised. I said I think it's silly.

Lifeboy

So I guess it's safe to say that many of you are voting based on who is more 'important' rather than who you like more? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Just making an observation...
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

McGrupp

Quote from: Lifeboy on March 31, 2011, 10:25:59 AM
So I guess it's safe to say that many of you are voting based on who is more 'important' rather than who you like more? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Just making an observation...

Well I only like 'important' music, so they're kind of the same thing...  :wink:

But seriously, I'd say it's a mix of both.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Are there rules that say we have to vote with who we "like" more?  I've voted for a band I don't "like" or listen to as much in a bunch of these polls.

I thought it was just "which band do you think is better".  Not "which band do you like more".

McGrupp

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on March 31, 2011, 10:32:14 AM
Are there rules that say we have to vote with who we "like" more?  I've voted for a band I don't "like" or listen to as much in a bunch of these polls.

I thought it was just "which band do you think is better".  Not "which band do you like more".

I think most people are just going with their gut. That's fair and reasonable to me.