News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2011-07- 01 > 2011-07-03 Superball IX

Started by mattstick, March 31, 2011, 02:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunrisevt

Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

postjack

got someone to work July 2nd for me. in!
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

danje

I'm waiting to buy a ticket until after Bethel. My funds are super tight and if the band's still not jamming I just can't afford to make the trip.

McGrupp

Quote from: danje on April 28, 2011, 11:07:23 PM
I'm waiting to buy a ticket until after Bethel. My funds are super tight and if the band's still not jamming I just can't afford to make the trip.

I wouldn't hold your breath, d00. If the last two years are any indication (they are), the shows are merely a fun place to hang with your peeps. I'm not expecting to get my mind blown musically this summer.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: McGrupp on April 29, 2011, 12:03:40 PM

I wouldn't hold your breath, d00. If the last two years are any indication (they are), the shows are merely a fun place to hang with your peeps. I'm not expecting to get my mind blown musically this summer.

jaded n00bs alert!  :wink:
Bring in the dude!

McGrupp

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 29, 2011, 12:52:32 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on April 29, 2011, 12:03:40 PM

jaded n00bs alert!  :wink:
:lol:

But seriously scotty, we've talked about this before - are you expecting anything other than just "fun" this summer? I mean, fun is awesome! don't get me wrong, that's why i'll be at shows this summer. but along with a lot of other paugers, I feel like I'm done chasing the "epic show" because it's a constant set-up for disappointment. I mean 3 "good" shows per tour? Not trying to be a downer, but I can't afford to go to all the shows just to see a handful of good ones...

Sorry phish!

All of that said, I will still be raging the shit out of this festival. It's going to be "fun".

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

WhatstheUse?

As far as I'm concerned, Phish is still currently the greatest live act to see in the world.  I see a lot of live music, and I've yet to find anything that compares.  In a matter of fact, I've yet to find anything that even comes close.  I've seen many of the bands that some here consider to be some of the best current live acts out there (Animal Collective, MMJ, Akron/Family, Furthur) and not a single one of them has impressed me musically in the way Phish does.

I am consistently impressed with their level of musicianship and frequently find myself in awe of their incredible listening skills.

I don't need huge, epic jams to have my mind blown.  I can see some random 3.0 Limb x Limb jam and still be completely blown away by the interplay between Fishman and Trey.  The way they bounce ideas between each other and have the ability to mimic rhythms w/ in fractions of a second is absolutely phenomenal.

Yeah, it used to be way better.... but it still is extremely impressive.
Bring in the dude!

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 29, 2011, 01:40:49 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Phish is still currently the greatest live act to see in the world.  I see a lot of live music, and I've yet to find anything that compares.  In a matter of fact, I've yet to find anything that even comes close.  I've seen many of the bands that some here consider to be some of the best current live acts out there (Animal Collective, MMJ, Akron/Family, Furthur) and not a single one of them has impressed me musically in the way Phish does.

I am consistently impressed with their level of musicianship and frequently find myself in awe of their incredible listening skills.

I don't need huge, epic jams to have my mind blown.  I can see some random 3.0 Limb x Limb jam and still be completely blown away by the interplay between Fishman and Trey.  The way they bounce ideas between each other and have the ability to mimic rhythms w/ in fractions of a second is absolutely phenomenal.

:clap:
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

McGrupp

That's a really positive way of looking at it, and I definitely respect your optimism.

Phish is my favorite band in the world, too. I'm certainly not trying to come off as jaded, because I still REALLY enjoy seeing the boys play and I have a lot of fun at the shows. You will never see me *not* having fun at a show, as a matter of fact.

But after all of the 3.0 shows I've seen (I know you've seen more), and ALL the money I've spent, it's really hard for me to justify spending another summer following all the setlists and seeing this band every possible chance I get, chasing something that just isn't there for me. It's there for you, and that's great! I'm just really tired of being broke as a result of seeing the same Rock n Roll/Drowned/Tweezer/Hood jams every night. Sure, there are still "those shows". Utica is great, and the Augusta show is awesome as well. Definitely worthy of getting excited over, I'm not arguing against that!

I've just seen a ton of phish in the last two years and I am tired of waiting for something to happen. They simply haven't proven to me in that period of time that they're worth spending 2 or 3 grand on this summer. I just can't afford to do that to myself.

BUT, like I said, I will be at a handful of shows this summer (still more than the casual phish fan, probably), and I will have a blast at every single one.

Anyway, this wasn't meant to be a big explanation for myself about being let down about phish, at least originally. Danje suggested that he might not go to superball if they don't start jamming, and if that's all his decision is riding on, instead of going to hang out with friends, party, just see live music in general (all awesome things), then he probably shouldn't go. Superball will be FUN, but I really predict that it will be more of the same, and not mind-blowing (although if 3.0 LxL's are what you're into, I'm sure you'll be all  :-o :crazy:)

:wink:

postjack

wtu x2.

also 1/1/11 gives me hope for the future.

also fest8 was fucking magical. I am super stoked for superball.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

WhatstheUse?

Can't wait to rage w/ you again this summer 'Gruppster!  :smoke:
Bring in the dude!

McGrupp

Quote from: postjack on April 29, 2011, 02:15:48 PM
wtu x2.

fluffers  :roll:

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 29, 2011, 02:22:18 PM
Can't wait to rage w/ you again this summer 'Gruppster!  :smoke:

and you too sir!

postjack

Quote from: McGrupp on April 29, 2011, 02:23:36 PM
Quote from: postjack on April 29, 2011, 02:15:48 PM
wtu x2.

fluffers  :roll:

I prefer the term "acceptance fan". ;)

danje

Quote from: McGrupp on April 29, 2011, 02:11:19 PM

That's a really positive way of looking at it, and I definitely respect your optimism.

Phish is my favorite band in the world, too. I'm certainly not trying to come off as jaded, because I still REALLY enjoy seeing the boys play and I have a lot of fun at the shows. You will never see me *not* having fun at a show, as a matter of fact.

But after all of the 3.0 shows I've seen (I know you've seen more), and ALL the money I've spent, it's really hard for me to justify spending another summer following all the setlists and seeing this band every possible chance I get, chasing something that just isn't there for me. It's there for you, and that's great! I'm just really tired of being broke as a result of seeing the same Rock n Roll/Drowned/Tweezer/Hood jams every night. Sure, there are still "those shows". Utica is great, and the Augusta show is awesome as well. Definitely worthy of getting excited over, I'm not arguing against that!

I've just seen a ton of phish in the last two years and I am tired of waiting for something to happen. They simply haven't proven to me in that period of time that they're worth spending 2 or 3 grand on this summer. I just can't afford to do that to myself.

BUT, like I said, I will be at a handful of shows this summer (still more than the casual phish fan, probably), and I will have a blast at every single one.

Anyway, this wasn't meant to be a big explanation for myself about being let down about phish, at least originally. Danje suggested that he might not go to superball if they don't start jamming, and if that's all his decision is riding on, instead of going to hang out with friends, party, just see live music in general (all awesome things), then he probably shouldn't go. Superball will be FUN, but I really predict that it will be more of the same, and not mind-blowing (although if 3.0 LxL's are what you're into, I'm sure you'll be all  :-o :crazy:)

Yeah its really a tough decision for me right now. Basically the only the reason I see this band is for the music - of the 13 shows I hit last year 10 I did solo. Its almost like some sort of gambling addiction where I'm convinced the next show will be when they finally throw down a 30 minute jam. Honestly at this point I don't even care if the jam is any good, I just want them to fucking go for it. But who knows, I wouldn't be surprised if I cave in and end up going.