News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Final 4 - 1-Phish v 1-The Beatles

Started by UncleEbinezer, April 05, 2011, 10:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

PIE-GUY

This is a tough one. I've been thinking about it for a week already because I knew it was coming. I still don't know.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mbw

i voted for, "The Phish, from Vermont!"

iamhydroJen

I ask myself this question a lot.... super tough.  Will report back later.....
"Years later, I found out they'd signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.  The head of Decca, Dick Rowe, made a canny prediction: 'Guitar groups are on the way out, Mr. Epstein.'" - George Harrison

fauxpaxfauxreal

Compared to Miles Davis, this was easy for me.  Phish!

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

mbw

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on April 05, 2011, 10:53:03 AM

correct!

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 05, 2011, 10:54:45 AM
:phish:

winner!

Quote from: iamhydroJen on April 05, 2011, 10:43:45 AM

very disappointed.   :shakehead:

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 05, 2011, 10:15:24 AM
This is a tough one. I've been thinking about it for a week already because I knew it was coming. I still don't know.
This.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Superfreakie

I don't like the Beatles that much anyway. I would say 20% of all the music my ears have heard has been Phish. Beatles don't even get .01%. Pretty easy decision.

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

iamhydroJen

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on April 05, 2011, 11:00:26 AM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on April 05, 2011, 10:53:03 AM

correct!

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 05, 2011, 10:54:45 AM

winner!

Quote from: iamhydroJen on April 05, 2011, 10:43:45 AM

very disappointed.   :shakehead:

:-P  I know, I know.... ::insert fail truck from AKRON/FAMILY thread::
"Years later, I found out they'd signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.  The head of Decca, Dick Rowe, made a canny prediction: 'Guitar groups are on the way out, Mr. Epstein.'" - George Harrison

gah

Let me help you:

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 26, 2011, 02:39:12 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on March 26, 2011, 02:02:45 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 26, 2011, 01:34:20 AM
RJ, I get why you're all Dylan on this one, but I can't agree with you... Sgt. Pepper is the reason you collect vinyl. Yes, there were albums before it, but it is the reason the Album (yes it is capitalized on purpose) is more than just a formatting option. It's the reason the Album can be considered a work of art that stands on its own.

Really, it comes down to Beethoven and the Beatles. Those are the cornerstones of Western Music. Everything else is just everything else.

Jazz?

Baroque? Romantic? Modern? Jazz? Blues? Folk? Rock? Who cares?

I'm talking about cornerstones... the music that stands alone atop all around it and will for hundreds of years.

Pre-electricity it's Beethoven. Post-electricity it's the Beatles.

You can argue all you want. This is how I see it. One can argue that there is better music from any era than these two. But they are the cornerstones. They stand alone.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

fauxpaxfauxreal

The way I thought about it is that I would have voted Miles Davis over the Beatles.  Phish eliminated Miles Davis and therefore Phish is better than the Beatles.

Simple logic, really.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: goodabouthood on April 05, 2011, 11:12:04 AM

Let me help you:

RJ, I get why you're all Dylan on this one, but I can't agree with you... Sgt. Pepper is the reason you collect vinyl. Yes, there were albums before it, but it is the reason the Album (yes it is capitalized on purpose) is more than just a formatting option. It's the reason the Album can be considered a work of art that stands on its own.

Really, it comes down to Beethoven and the Beatles. Those are the cornerstones of Western Music. Everything else is just everything else.

Jazz?

I'm talking about cornerstones... the music that stands alone atop all around it and will for hundreds of years.

You can argue all you want. This is how I see it. One can argue that there is better music from any era than these two. But they are the cornerstones. They stand alone.

i know. I know. But Phish! It's a really hard decision. I mean, how do I vote against a band that I have given thousands of dollars to? I have seen Phish 108 times... Would I trade those shows for one night seeing the Beatles play? I might! I just don't know.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

khalpin

Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 05, 2011, 11:17:03 AM
Quote from: goodabouthood on April 05, 2011, 11:12:04 AM

Let me help you:

Jazz?

i know. I know. But Phish! It's a really hard decision. I mean, how do I vote against a band that I have given thousands of dollars to? I have seen Phish 108 times... Would I trade those shows for one night seeing the Beatles play? I might! I just don't know.
Well, in all fairness, The Beatles' strength wasn't in live performance, it was songwriting and in the studio.  In that sense they're the opposite of Phish.

Superfreakie

Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 05, 2011, 11:17:03 AM
I have seen Phish 108 times... Would I trade those shows for one night seeing the Beatles play? I might! I just don't know.

that's just crazy talk right there.  :wtu:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.