News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Final 4 - 1-Phish v 1-The Beatles

Started by UncleEbinezer, April 05, 2011, 10:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoW

I haven't partaken in this tiurney to this point so I won't start now.
it would have been interesting to see the views if it was gd vs. the beatles.  we know the big dead heads here but we also know there are way too many confused phish fans here too  :wink:
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Hicks

Quote from: Superfreakie on April 05, 2011, 06:44:08 PM
Quote from: Hicks on April 05, 2011, 06:41:46 PM
Doesn't everyone start off with The Beatles and Weird Al (who got screwed by not being included) when they are kids?

Raffi>Michael Jackson>Def Leppard>Zeppelin>Floyd>GD...............

No Beatles.

I knew there was something wrong with you.   :wink:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Hicks on April 05, 2011, 07:04:01 PM
Doesn't everyone start off with The Beatles and Weird Al (who got screwed by not being included) when they are kids?

No Beatles.

I knew there was something wrong with you.   :wink:

that I have never contested.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mistercharlie

Quote from: slslbs on April 05, 2011, 06:49:32 PM

No Beatles.
that's......un - American

:clap:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Multibeast12

:clap: If Phish beat out Miles i sure as hell hope they would beat out the Beatles. I personally just don't like them. Sure they may have started the whole  psychedelic thing, i guess, But i think the Mothers were way more psychedelic at the time,  and if your going on Influence then fucking Sabbath should win  :-D, IMO way more influential then the Beatles.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Multibeast12 on April 05, 2011, 09:47:46 PM
:clap: If Phish beat out Miles i sure as hell hope they would beat out the Beatles. I personally just don't like them. Sure they may have started the whole  psychedelic thing, i guess, But i think the Mothers were way more psychedelic at the time,  and if your going on Influence then fucking Sabbath should win  :-D, IMO way more influential then the Beatles.

Nothing you said computes at all.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

MeltMe

:phish:

no other band has gotten more of my time, attention and money.  I never take breaks from listening to them and I never get bored with them. 

:phish:

nothing i see can be taken from me...

barnesy305

phish started it all??? Where have I been and who the Fuck is the Grateful Dead?

redrum

and if your going on Influence then fucking Sabbath should win  :-D, IMO way more influential then the Beatles.

the funny thing about that is the beatles influenced sabbath!!
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

mistercharlie

Quote from: redrum on April 05, 2011, 10:27:53 PM
and if your going on Influence then fucking Sabbath should win  :-D, IMO way more influential then the Beatles.

Ozzy LOVES The Beatles and yes they did influence Sabbath.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 05, 2011, 02:56:45 PM
Quote from: Hicks on April 05, 2011, 02:16:11 PM
Sgt. Pepper was most definitely instrumental in forwarding the idea that an album can be more than a collection of songs.

right - RJ seems to think he refuted that point because there are better albums before Pepper... but I already made the point there there are, perhaps, better examples of music before and after Beethoven and before and after the Beatles, but they are the cornerstones. Sgt. Pepper stands alone as a cornerstone that made the Album a singular work of art for generations. It's not even the Beatles' best album. I'd argue that Revolver came before it and is almost as cohesive... but again, it's the cornerstone. It's the one that made the difference.

Cornerstone of your building but not everyones.

I haven't voted.

Mostly cos I'm annoyed at the discussion.

sls.stormyrider

The thing with the Beatles, is that everything was an event. Every single release was huge. Did you hear the new Beatles song? And then, the B sides were better than everyone else's A sides
There would be debates over which was better, the A or B side - starting with A Hard Day's Night/I should have known better.
We Can Work it Out  / Day Tripper
Paperback Writer / Rain
Hey Jude / Revolution
the list goes on

Every album was huge
When Sgt Pepper came out, the world stopped. Everywhere, everyday, people were talking about it.
Never saw that before, never saw it again -
that is, until the White album came out. Not quite the same fervor as Sgt Pepper, but almost.

John was right. They were bigger than Jesus. That's the real reason all the bible thumpers got pissed - they were bigger

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Multibeast12

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 05, 2011, 10:31:21 PM

I know.....But Sabbath Kicked way more ass. Master of Reality is IMO one of the greatest albums of all time,

Superfreakie

Quote from: rowjimmy on April 05, 2011, 10:36:41 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 05, 2011, 02:56:45 PM
Quote from: Hicks on April 05, 2011, 02:16:11 PM
Sgt. Pepper was most definitely instrumental in forwarding the idea that an album can be more than a collection of songs.

right - RJ seems to think he refuted that point because there are better albums before Pepper... but I already made the point there there are, perhaps, better examples of music before and after Beethoven and before and after the Beatles, but they are the cornerstones. Sgt. Pepper stands alone as a cornerstone that made the Album a singular work of art for generations. It's not even the Beatles' best album. I'd argue that Revolver came before it and is almost as cohesive... but again, it's the cornerstone. It's the one that made the difference.

Cornerstone of your building but not everyones.

I haven't voted.

Mostly cos I'm annoyed at the discussion.

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

barnesy305

Quote from: Multibeast12 on April 05, 2011, 10:42:33 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on April 05, 2011, 10:31:21 PM

I know.....But Sabbath Kicked way more ass. Master of Reality is IMO one of the greatest albums of all time,
The first five are the shit, Masters being a personal favorite