News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Something to think about...

Started by fauxpaxfauxreal, May 02, 2011, 02:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

"Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu - chapter 31

Good weapons are instruments of fear; all creatures hate them.
Therefore followers of the Tao never used them.
The wise man prefers the left.
The man of war prefers the right.

Weapons are instruments of fear; they are not a wise man's tools.
He uses them only when he has no choice.
Peace and quiet are dear to his heart.
And victory no cause for rejoicing.
If you rejoice in victory, then you delight in killing;
If you delight in killing, you cannot fulfill yourself.

On happy occasions precedence is given to the left,
On sad occasions to the right.
In the army the general stands on the left,
The commander-in-chief on the right.
This means that war is conducted like a funeral.
When many people are being killed,
They should be mourned in heartfelt sorrow.
That is why a victory must be observed like a funeral."

Just something to think about as we collectively "celebrate" the death of Bin Laden.

phil

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 02, 2011, 02:17:32 AM
"Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu - chapter 31

Good weapons are instruments of fear; all creatures hate them.
Therefore followers of the Tao never used them.
The wise man prefers the left.
The man of war prefers the right.

Weapons are instruments of fear; they are not a wise man's tools.
He uses them only when he has no choice.
Peace and quiet are dear to his heart.
And victory no cause for rejoicing.
If you rejoice in victory, then you delight in killing;
If you delight in killing, you cannot fulfill yourself.

On happy occasions precedence is given to the left,
On sad occasions to the right.
In the army the general stands on the left,
The commander-in-chief on the right.
This means that war is conducted like a funeral.
When many people are being killed,
They should be mourned in heartfelt sorrow.
That is why a victory must be observed like a funeral."

Just something to think about as we collectively "celebrate" the death of Bin Laden.

I dig that. Glad we got the son of a bitch but it's largely a hollow victory, imo. The loss of life involved is simply too great.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

fauxpaxfauxreal

I definitely agree.  I think now is a good time for quiet reflection on all of the deaths of the past 10 years.  I almost think the celebrations are borderline disrespectful of the Americans that have died in this conflict.

cleech74

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 02, 2011, 10:23:28 AM
I definitely agree.  I think now is a good time for quiet reflection on all of the deaths of the past 10 years.  I almost think the celebrations are borderline disrespectful of the Americans that have died in this conflict.

This. :-P
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

gah

Quote from: cleech74 on May 02, 2011, 11:05:25 AM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 02, 2011, 10:23:28 AM

This. :-P

agreed.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

cleech74

The Baltimore City Paper has a running tally of US lives lost in both Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts.  It's sad to see both numbers continue to climb week to week.
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

gah

Quote from: cleech74 on May 02, 2011, 11:16:24 AM
The Baltimore City Paper has a running tally of US lives lost in both Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts.  It's sad to see both numbers continue to climb week to week.

What are the most recent numbers, if you remember?

Superfreakie

While US lives are important, please do not forget the hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi and Afghan civilians who have lost their lives in the crossfire.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Superfreakie on May 02, 2011, 01:11:57 PM
While US lives are important, please do not forget the hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi and Afghan civilians who have lost their lives in the crossfire.

This. 

cleech74

Quote from: goodabouthood on May 02, 2011, 11:32:45 AM

As of last Wednesday, it was 4,452 in Iraq, and 1,495 in Afghanistan.  Pretty sure that is just American military, not including the number of innocent civilians casualties for both countries.

gah

Quote from: cleech74 on May 02, 2011, 02:13:33 PM

As of last Wednesday, it was 4,452 in Iraq, and 1,495 in Afghanistan.  Pretty sure that is just American military, not including the number of innocent civilians casualties for both countries.

Yeah, I'd be curious to know those numbers, but I know they are going to vary in estimates based on source...

WhatstheUse?

Quote‎"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
--Martin Luther King, Jr.

seems like an appropriate thread for this quote...

Bring in the dude!

mbw

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on May 02, 2011, 05:53:16 PM
Quote‎"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

most excellent.

Hicks

Quote from: goodabouthood on May 02, 2011, 02:26:28 PM
Quote from: cleech74 on May 02, 2011, 02:13:33 PM

Yeah, I'd be curious to know those numbers, but I know they are going to vary in estimates based on source...

It's well into six figures for Iraqi civilian casualties alone. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on May 02, 2011, 06:06:16 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on May 02, 2011, 05:53:16 PM

most excellent.

:wtu: Just gave me a facebook status.