News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

05/27 - Bethel Center for the Arts - Bethel NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by whatapiper, May 27, 2011, 11:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil

Relistening to Funky Bitch for the third time today. It appears someone gave Trey some old recordings to listen to, he certainly seems like he (at least partially) remembers how he used to rip it up on this song.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

roggae

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 28, 2011, 04:51:48 PM
Quote from: G. Augusto on May 28, 2011, 04:32:15 PM
Quote from: mattstick on May 28, 2011, 07:48:34 AM

Pretty much.
That Boogie On "jam" was not good.  :lol:

Interesting though... I was on the edge of my seat to hear who would totally stop playing first.

that's pretty much how i felt.  do you think they were thinking they were really "out there?"
Clearly it's all awful.

cactusfan

Tweezer sounds good until they get bored of it. oh well. it almost took off somewhere.

roggae

the wolfman's was pretty good too.  i think it was a solid show. 
Clearly it's all awful.

fauxpaxfauxreal

The soundboard sounds incredible for this show.  Waves is really good.

mbw

fauxpaxfauxreal

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

fauxpaxfauxreal

susep

although only 9 min +, I too like this Tweezer, great way to kick off a show and tour, not a bad version.  I liked FB also but more specifically I like Trey's guitar playing from this show.  I could hear him going back to his blues runs a little bit more, not staying locked in the box per se but little flourishes that set up his overall game/sound.  Mike solid as usual, really had some nice lines in Tweezer, almost '98 sounding.  The Wolfman's caught my ear, Page raging it hard.  KDF was good, not as exploratory as I was hoping but certainly better then straight ahead readings.  When Boogie On kicked in I was thinking "ugh" but this version jammed hard w/ a nice, spacey segue into Waves.  Waves was cool w/ nice interplay during the outro jam, this music reminded me of the 23Nov.1994 Tweezer.  The rest of the set was mostly meh, I liked that they chose C&P but overall it was a fairly un-eventful.

Overall I kinda like this show, certainly more then the last show I heard(1Jan.2011). 
My highlights:  Tweezer, KDF, Boogie On > Waves.   

mistercharlie

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 28, 2011, 06:45:37 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on May 28, 2011, 06:41:52 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on May 28, 2011, 06:35:52 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 28, 2011, 06:33:33 PM

qft.

I'd have to agree also.

but WTF to this Boogie On jam?!?!

It's effing sweet.

It was pretty awesome until it came crashing to a dragged-out halt.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: mistercharlie on May 28, 2011, 06:48:11 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 28, 2011, 06:45:37 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on May 28, 2011, 06:41:52 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on May 28, 2011, 06:35:52 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 28, 2011, 06:33:33 PM

qft.

I'd have to agree also.

but WTF to this Boogie On jam?!?!

It's effing sweet.

It was pretty awesome until it came crashing to a dragged-out halt.

Disagree.  The dragged-out halt is straight up psychedelic fun.

mistercharlie

fauxpaxfauxreal

Fishman forgets to sing "Facts or getting the best of them"  "Facts are nothing in the face of him"

F- fish.

aphineday

I listened to most of Set I on my run today. I'm only going to comment on the key stuffs for me here.

1. Tweezer: Ummmm, yes. It's not a '95 Tweezer, but that's not what I was looking for. A Set I Tweezer to start a run/show?!?! Yes. When Fishman hit those toms at the beginning, I was literally jumping while I was running. It is maybe the most jacked I've been to hear a show in 3.0. The playing was good, and it's very obvious to me that Trey has been practicing. With only one show to base this on, he is definitely winning the "most improved" award right now (not that he didn't have a huge deficit to make up). I was REALLY bummed they didn't take this out, almost a let down going into MFMF. It's been said that this was a "rock 'n roll" Tweezer. I completely agree, totally set a tone here.

2. Wolfman's Brother: Definitely good playing. Nothing ground breaking, but I really liked how Trey was starting to explore the band's sound again, even a little bit. It started with Tweezer, seeing glimpses that MAYBE Trey is starting to realize that Phish is not TAB, and it became even more obvious during the Wolfmans. I think his tone has changed for the better big time, and the sounds he was getting here really sounded good. This definitely sounds better than most Wolfmans of 3.0 IMHO. Keeping my interest high, if I was there, I would have been very happy.

3.>Walk Away: Really? People were happy with this segue? Man, that really says a lot about the quality of 3.0 segues in itself, because (and I need to listen to this again to be completely sure) I was specifically listening for this > because of the hype. Certainly didn't blow my skirt up, but at the same time I guess it wasn't horrible?

4. Stash: This is Phish. The first build/peak section here is "it", definitely. If they can get back to this with any type of regularity, I will be crawling out of my skin. Trey actually lets his guard down, and explores with the guys. They totally hit a stride, and allowed it to build, however briefly. I wish every song sounded like this. I like 3.0 for what it is, but I would never have expected to hear this. It was unforeseen, and I'm fucking stoked. Say what you will, this was hot.

That's as far as I've made it, but I'm excited to hear the 2nd set that I somewhat heard through the sharts last night. If I was at Bethel, I would be so incredibly excited for the next two nights. Actually, I'm at home and excited.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...