News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

05/27 - Bethel Center for the Arts - Bethel NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by whatapiper, May 27, 2011, 11:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on May 31, 2011, 02:25:05 PM
complaining about clapping is just plain silly.

People clapped during the quiet parts of Reba and Runaway Jim in 95 too ya know...

And it sounded good then, too, most of the time.  Kind of like the clapping is an integral part of the opening to YEM 12/31/95 and leads to a blistering trey solo.

And people bitched about it then too, just as Mattstick is doing now, which is dumb.  You can't stop other people from enjoying the show how they want to.  It's impossible.

mattstick

It's less annoying during Jim and Reba.

It all goes back to the lack of respect for the band at the shows, I feel like 2/3 of the people at the show aren't listening to the music - they seem more interested in cheering/clapping/throwing glowsticks, etc.

Each night someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to pickup and hand them a glowstick that was at my feet.  I think the look I gave them basically told them to fuck off, I wasn't going to pick up trash so they could throw it.

Hicks

At least the quiet parts of Jim and Reba have a drumbeat to clap along to, that makes a huge difference IMO.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on May 31, 2011, 02:32:17 PM
At least the quiet parts of Jim and Reba have a drumbeat to clap along to, that makes a huge difference IMO.

Page obviously needed a beat to play along with; he was just meandering there by himself.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Hicks on May 31, 2011, 02:32:17 PM

The solo had a definite steady beat at that point, and I think the clapping sounds great and makes it even cooler.

Matt, how is reacting to the music in an enthusiastic manner in any way "disrespectful"?  This is a rock concert at a summer shed.  This isn't a Symphonette at the Lincoln Center.

mattstick

McGrupp

Guys. Some people were clapping. Good or bad - get the fuck over it.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

mattstick

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: mattstick on May 31, 2011, 02:40:12 PM

Again with the semantics?

Maybe you do talk too much.

That's not semantics.  You are saying that it is disrespectful for them to clap.  I asked you how.  You compared Pages solo in a summer shed to a Keith Jarret performance.  I contrasted Page's solo with a Symphonette in the Lincoln Center.  How am I arguing semantics in this example?  I'm disagreeing with what you are saying and intending, not with how you are saying it.

Quote from: McGrupp on May 31, 2011, 02:40:34 PM
Guys. Some people were clapping. Good or bad - get the fuck over it.

BUT I LIKE THE CLAPPING!!!   :-D

McGrupp

Quote from: mattstick on May 31, 2011, 02:41:58 PM

Isn't that what we do here, discuss Phish concerts?

You guys have gone back and forth I don't even know how many times, splitting hairs on whether or not it was a bad thing that people clapped during a 60 second portion of 1 song in 1 show.

I know we're all about analyzing shows in the nerdiest way possible, but come on, tell me that's not ridiculous.

stfu and move on, dudes.

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

fauxpaxfauxreal

runawayjimbo

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 31, 2011, 02:16:10 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on May 31, 2011, 02:14:55 PM
I thought Page's Coil solo was extra beautiful.  I enjoyed how he brought in a few random chord progressions towards the end of the solo that brought him away from the Coil sound.  Akmost thought he was going to bring in Loving Cup....

I too thought his solo started to sound like he was going to play an Elton John song or a Stones song (such as Loving Cup) as the song ended.  I feel like (but I might be wrong) that the clapping brought this extra melodic component out in his solo.

I swear I hear Billy Joel for about 15 sec right before the clapping (~7:40 on the taylorc source). You know, "[riff] whoa [riff] whoa [riff] whoa-ohh-ohh-ohho-oa"
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mattstick

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 31, 2011, 02:43:58 PM

That's not semantics.  You are saying that it is disrespectful for them to clap.  I asked you how.  You compared Pages solo in a summer shed to a Keith Jarret performance.  I contrasted Page's solo with a Symphonette in the Lincoln Center.  How am I arguing semantics in this example?  I'm disagreeing with what you are saying and intending, not with how you are saying it.

I think the crowd is disrespectful, and certainly cheering isn't a disrespectful act - but the fact that people aren't listening, they send a text message every 20 seconds, they throw glowsticks, they just cheer for no reason.

Perhaps you disagree, again that's your opinion.  Why can't people be quiet and let Page solo like it's the Cologne Opera House?  Wouldn't that be respectful?  And since they aren't, couldn't it be the opposite?

Quote from: McGrupp on May 31, 2011, 02:45:17 PM
stfu and move on, dudes.

Feel free not to read it...

fauxpaxfauxreal

I'll have to relisten Runaway Jimbo, but that could be true.

I thought that whole segment sounded very "songy" and quite familiar, which was why I was pleased with the clapping.

If there was no discernible beat at this moment and page was being abstract, I'd agree.  But this solo was way more Billy Joel/Elton John-esque and much less Keith Jarret-esque.

McGrupp

Quote from: mattstick on May 31, 2011, 02:55:12 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on May 31, 2011, 02:45:17 PM
stfu and move on, dudes.

Feel free not to read it...

Just because I think its stupid, doesn't mean I won't read it and make fun of you.