News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/04 - Blossom Music Ctr - Cuyahoga Falls, OH - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Undermind, June 04, 2011, 11:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Multibeast12

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on June 05, 2011, 01:41:40 PM
Quote from: aphineday on June 05, 2011, 01:40:42 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on June 05, 2011, 01:36:50 PM
It sounds like he was running from the cops when he was arrested.  We can't really see enough from this vid to know what exactly happened.
That's true, and there are good cops out there. I just get pissed because the majority seem to be out to get anyone they can. I just assumed that because it happened in front of his kid, this was the case. Also, you can hear a guy say, "he was just picking up the beer" or something in the background.

Regardless of what he was doing, the second you run away from cops is the second you ask for trouble.
Yup, if your not doing anything wrong why would someone have to run away from the cops

rowjimmy

Having no first hand knowledge about the guy's alleged offense, I can't comment on it.

But when the cop says, "If you don't give two shits about your kid then I don't either" I feel obligated to point out that the kid is the officer's primary responsibility as soon as the suspect is in custody. That officer immediately fails the good cop test right there and his superiors should review his actions and reprimand and retrain him.

He makes all cops look bad and, despite the good or bad influences of the child's father, that cop has just gone out of his way to leave a terrible impression of "peace officers" on that kid.

aphineday

Quote from: Multibeast12 on June 05, 2011, 01:49:51 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on June 05, 2011, 01:41:40 PM
Quote from: aphineday on June 05, 2011, 01:40:42 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on June 05, 2011, 01:36:50 PM
It sounds like he was running from the cops when he was arrested.  We can't really see enough from this vid to know what exactly happened.
That's true, and there are good cops out there. I just get pissed because the majority seem to be out to get anyone they can. I just assumed that because it happened in front of his kid, this was the case. Also, you can hear a guy say, "he was just picking up the beer" or something in the background.

Regardless of what he was doing, the second you run away from cops is the second you ask for trouble.
Yup, if your not doing anything wrong why would someone have to run away from the cops

The deeper issue is what fucking business of the cops is it what you are doing unless you're endangering someone else or being reckless.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

aphineday

Good Lord. I didn't even hear him say that about not giving a shit about the kid. Mind blown.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 05, 2011, 01:59:27 PM
Having no first hand knowledge about the guy's alleged offense, I can't comment on it.

But when the cop says, "If you don't give two shits about your kid then I don't either" I feel obligated to point out that the kid is the officer's primary responsibility as soon as the suspect is in custody. That officer immediately fails the good cop test right there and his superiors should review his actions and reprimand and retrain him.

He makes all cops look bad and, despite the good or bad influences of the child's father, that cop has just gone out of his way to leave a terrible impression of "peace officers" on that kid.

This is definitely true.  Sadly, it seems as though it is common practice for officers to partake in hyperbole such as this when dealing with suspects that they think are "hostile".

Additionally, I'd say that any time an officer uses foul language when wearing the uniform of an officer it is at the very least disrespectful to the position and the laws they serve.

whatapiper

Petty sad right there.   Feel horrible for the kid, hard to tell how old he is but a situation like that will not be lost easily.   No idea what the dad was up to but he must have done something other than reach for some beer on the ground.   Hopefully the video circulates merely for the verbal abuse of the officer, but as far as discrimination or misconduct that is impossible to tell really.   I would be devastated if my son was put through that...
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: whatapiper on June 05, 2011, 02:24:09 PM
Petty sad right there.   Feel horrible for the kid, hard to tell how old he is but a situation like that will not be lost easily.   No idea what the dad was up to but he must have done something other than reach for some beer on the ground.   Hopefully the video circulates merely for the verbal abuse of the officer, but as far as discrimination or misconduct that is impossible to tell really.   I would be devastated if my son was put through that...

I agree 100% with this statement, but it really has me wondering what exactly went down, really does sound like he was probably selling beers on the lot at most, because there is nothing mentioned in all that dialogue about anything to do with drugs...

Pretty harsh to do that to the kid if he was only selling beers on the lot, and if he was just drinking, then it's absolutely despicable, but either way, it should very much be the police officers responsibility to find out if that kid was going to be all alone after his father was arrested, and if the kid was going to be all alone, he should be taken into child protected services. 
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

fauxpaxfauxreal

Have you all lost your minds?

It's pretty much completely irresponsible to do flagrantly illegal actions with a child under your supervision.

If he was selling beers while watching his child, that is COMPLETELY REPREHENSIBLE.

If he was drinking in public (and presumably drunk chaperoning his child) that too is UNACCEPTABLE.

Perhaps the cop could have worded what he was saying better, but he is kind of right.  It is pretty hard for the dad to claim at that point that he wanted to take responsibility for his child, because if he cared about his son, he wouldn't have been in that position to begin with.

MiamiPhish

There is also a Divided Sky tease in Harry Hood (pt 2) at 1:37 on the LP track.  It is repeated, then leads straight to The Lizards tease.

Correction: wishful thinking.

Declan

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 05, 2011, 01:59:27 PM

exactly my thoughts.

Would he say that about someone who locked their kids in a basement?

It was prime time for him to take a jab at the "leftist hippy type".

Asshole.
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

aphineday

Yeah, back to the music. I'm definitely not a "fluffer", at least I don't think I am. Many shows of 3.0 leave me really upset. Certainly nearly every 3.0 Possum makes me want to pull my hair (what's left of it) out. The Possum from Cuyahoga was pretty awesome in my book. It might not be as crazy as some 1.0 stuff, but IMO the slowing it down, messing with it shows a willingness to try, and it sounded WAY cool. I really dug it. I also really dig "Steam", I think that song can go places. On the re-listen I think it's crazy to assume this isn't some of the best writing hands-down from 3.0.

I WISH THEY WOULD SLOW DOWN THAT PIPER INTRO, and take it out. If that would have happened, this shit would be straight up fire. Instead, it totally lags for the Piper, and then starts to come back.

Undermind

Quote from: aphineday on June 05, 2011, 04:10:18 PM
Yeah, back to the music. I'm definitely not a "fluffer", at least I don't think I am. Many shows of 3.0 leave me really upset. Certainly nearly every 3.0 Possum makes me want to pull my hair (what's left of it) out. The Possum from Cuyahoga was pretty awesome in my book. It might not be as crazy as some 1.0 stuff, but IMO the slowing it down, messing with it shows a willingness to try, and it sounded WAY cool. I really dug it. I also really dig "Steam", I think that song can go places. On the re-listen I think it's crazy to assume this isn't some of the best writing hands-down from 3.0.

I WISH THEY WOULD SLOW DOWN THAT PIPER INTRO, and take it out. If that would have happened, this shit would be straight up fire. Instead, it totally lags for the Piper, and then starts to come back.
I agree with just about everything you said here.  There are other 3.0 songs that I may rank up there with Steam, especially if they never jam on it more though.
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

roggae

Quote from: aphineday on June 05, 2011, 01:32:08 PM
Quote from: sophist on June 05, 2011, 01:04:09 PM
Steam = meh. 
Seriously?  You guys like the cheese dick rock? 

The rest of the show is pretty meh to me.  Slave is solid.  I like the Hood sammy.  I don't care for LF at all, so that does nothing for me.  I do think it's cool that they've already played several cuts from Waiting For Columbus.  Despite Possum going in a new "direction," it is still kind of sloppy.  This confirms to me that Detroit, like Albany and Camden, were one time deals just to appease the no-jam haters.  I'm not sold that they've turned the corner. 

IMO, Steam is probably the best new song I've heard them pull out in 3.0. I'm not counting anything that's on Joy or played a ton, I'm referring to songs like Show Of Life, Pigtail, Halfway To The Moon, etc. I guess I can just see the potential in the song, and have some hopes.
As for Detroit, Albany, and Camden. First off, no Bethel love at all? I think there was some cool moments of those shows for damn sure. Maybe night 3 was pretty meh, but 6/27, and 6/28 both do some cool stuff. While I agree with you that they may not have turned the corner, right now what I'm very much hoping is that PNC was actually the "off" here, and they are working on building. I'm definitely not sold on this, but it seems logical thus far.

i love steam
Clearly it's all awful.

fauxpaxfauxreal

bacchist

In about a month, I can't see myself saying, "Hey, maybe I'll throw on 2011-06-04."
Rebuilding...