News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/07 - Comcast Center - Mansfield, MA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by aphineday, June 07, 2011, 11:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoW

Quote from: thatfargone on June 08, 2011, 02:01:40 AM
So, are we ever going to seriously discuss the music of this band ever again????  Night after night, it's just "I had fun", "phish is fun", "I had a great time."  Aren't these review threads???....shouldn't we be discussing how the band performed, how the music was?, you know...actual discussion.  It's sad how much this band...and it's fan base has degraded. 

I remember how at one time a group of phish fans could talk about how Treys run in a certain song was considerably different than the last version....how you could sense the band getting better night after night, changing their sound tour, after tour.  Now it seems the people who want to seriously discuss things have to deal with endless "you're a hater" "why don't you stay at home then"...blah, blah, blah. 

Its so depressing to me that there is such a divide amongst two very different sets of fans.  It seems very clear that if you fell in love with this band in the 90's that by doing what we always have....holding this band to a higher standard, is just pissing off the fans that fell in love with them when they weren't even a band.  Maybe it is similar for the old Dead fans who just saw a flood of immature kids showing up on lot to buy drugs and rage with no idea how things were in the past.  It seems as though, expecting tickets for well under face, getting pissed off if you have something different to say, wandering around meeting as many people as you can, taking peoples seats, weasling down as close as possible and getting so fucked up you don't really remember the music is becoming the norm and for a fan like me that toured the country with a close friend or two, or in my case the majority of last year by myself in car no longer has a place in this community.  There is no sense of real family.  Its a "crew" of people going and spending the majority of their time together, with out any respect for other people.  Its all about the fun now.  And I'm telling you that have no clue...a lot of touring in the 90's wasn't fun.  No cell phones, no internet in your pocket....no google maps....no expedia.  Fans today seem lazy and selfish.  Theres no Pharmers Almanac handing out directions and traffic tips to us, no Green Crew that cleans up all our shit.  Hell, just looking at a venue after a show these days is appalling and to me disgusting.  No one hands out trash bags, no fans stay behind to help clean.  There is no sense of purpose or pride with fans these days.  No one wants to give back, it's just take , take, take.  And, if someone even remotely suggests things were better or could be better....it just pisses people off. 

I want to continue to love this band and all the fans....it's just getting really hard.
I honestly say this with all due respect, but why are you here then?
you don't need to love what the band is doing now.  I sure don't "love" what they are doing now.  but I'm not in the post discussion threads a couple hours after the show bashing them.

my comments are geared towards everyone, not just you.
I worked until 4 yesterday, sat in traffic, got to venue not much before doors, went inside set up, got to see some people I don't always see and now I am off to work after a few hours sleep and will most likely have a crappy day since that is par for the course lately.
music is my escape and phish is just a whole different animal than other bands.  playing like they used to or not, they still influence people, myself included.

it's the internet.  people are going to hate but honestly, I'd rather watch paint dry than waste my time hating on a band night after night.

it is why this is the one and only post discussion thread I am posting in.

I applaud everyone that hates on what phish is doing.  it means everything else in your life that you have time to waste on knocking a band down.
phish made my week better last night.  I appreciate what influence they can still have on me.
but then again I see a ton of other bands and listen to a lot of other music .  maybe you guys should try it more.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

DoW

Quote from: jasonsobel on June 08, 2011, 01:50:53 AM
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=545514
and yeah, and thanks.
good to see you as always.  wish I could have gotten to the lot early to relax a bit with you guys before the show.
hope you get to relax some today.

jasonsobel

Quote from: bvaz on June 08, 2011, 06:42:12 AM
Quote from: jasonsobel on June 08, 2011, 01:50:53 AM
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=545514
and yeah, and thanks.
good to see you as always.  wish I could have gotten to the lot early to relax a bit with you guys before the show.
hope you get to relax some today.

great to see you as well, Brian.  good luck at work today.  my biggest goal for my day off is to get the lawn mowed.  but I do have a work conference call at 9am, hopefully it won't last too long :)
sing me back home before I die

mattstick

Quote from: bvaz on June 08, 2011, 06:24:12 AM
I applaud everyone that hates on what phish is doing.  it means everything else in your life that you have time to waste on knocking a band down.
phish made my week better last night.  I appreciate what influence they can still have on me.
but then again I see a ton of other bands and listen to a lot of other music .  maybe you guys should try it more.

Holding Phish to a higher standard than they're currently playing at isn't as hateful as you're making it sound.

mehead

So, are we ever going to seriously discuss the music of this band ever again????  Night after night, it's just "I had fun", "phish is fun", "I had a great time."  Aren't these review threads???....shouldn't we be discussing how the band performed, how the music was?, you know...actual discussion.  It's sad how much this band...and it's fan base has degraded. 

I remember how at one time a group of phish fans could talk about how Treys run in a certain song was considerably different than the last version....how you could sense the band getting better night after night, changing their sound tour, after tour.  Now it seems the people who want to seriously discuss things have to deal with endless "you're a hater" "why don't you stay at home then"...blah, blah, blah. 

Its so depressing to me that there is such a divide amongst two very different sets of fans.  It seems very clear that if you fell in love with this band in the 90's that by doing what we always have....holding this band to a higher standard, is just pissing off the fans that fell in love with them when they weren't even a band.  Maybe it is similar for the old Dead fans who just saw a flood of immature kids showing up on lot to buy drugs and rage with no idea how things were in the past.  It seems as though, expecting tickets for well under face, getting pissed off if you have something different to say, wandering around meeting as many people as you can, taking peoples seats, weasling down as close as possible and getting so fucked up you don't really remember the music is becoming the norm and for a fan like me that toured the country with a close friend or two, or in my case the majority of last year by myself in car no longer has a place in this community.  There is no sense of real family.  Its a "crew" of people going and spending the majority of their time together, with out any respect for other people.  Its all about the fun now.  And I'm telling you that have no clue...a lot of touring in the 90's wasn't fun.  No cell phones, no internet in your pocket....no google maps....no expedia.  Fans today seem lazy and selfish.  Theres no Pharmers Almanac handing out directions and traffic tips to us, no Green Crew that cleans up all our shit.  Hell, just looking at a venue after a show these days is appalling and to me disgusting.  No one hands out trash bags, no fans stay behind to help clean.  There is no sense of purpose or pride with fans these days.  No one wants to give back, it's just take , take, take.  And, if someone even remotely suggests things were better or could be better....it just pisses people off. 

I want to continue to love this band and all the fans....it's just getting really hard.

Not even sure where to begin.  As far as your rant about cell phones, expedia, etc - it's called technology, get on board.  I did my extensive touring in the '90's - I'm now 37, married, kids, etc - I want my technology, I want my GPS to tell me how the hell I get from Mansfield to Camden when I'm traveling to shows solo.  So, yes, touring was very different back then but it doesn't mean that it was ay better or any worse - just different.  Times change mang.

Last year, I was handed trash bags by a bunch of folks in Mansfield, used them for GW > Camden 2 and gave out a couple in the lot in Camden.  So did I do my part?

People getting fucked up at shows, moving down front, snagging seats - that's been happening for years.  As long as they don't snag my seat and don't annoy the shit out of me, I couldn't care less.  There's not a lot I can do about it anyway so why worry about it?  Yes, I saw a bunch of Dead shows as well in the '90's and trust me, the crowds and lot then was no better.

What the hell is wrong w/ going to shows w/ a crew?  Really?  Really?  I'm not sure what "crew" or people you hang w/ at shows but the majority of peeps that I see and meet at shows are completely respectful.  You're always going to have your wooks at shows.  I have met a bunch of people, paugers and non-paugers , over the last couple of years while hitting shows and they have all been courteous, respectful, friendly, non-judgemental, etc. 

While I totally respect where you're coming from, it's this exact type of post that causes people to say, "why don't you stay home?"

That is all.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

DoW

Quote from: mattstick on June 08, 2011, 07:43:56 AM
Quote from: bvaz on June 08, 2011, 06:24:12 AM

Holding Phish to a higher standard than they're currently playing at isn't as hateful as you're making it sound.
agreed.  I just got sick of the hate.  I didn't have to read it but it does get old and really takes away from reading reviews on here.
it's all good though.  carry on.

shoreline99

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on June 08, 2011, 12:17:02 AM
I had a TON of fun. Phish shows are the best.

What he said. I want to give this show a listen before I blahg, but it was good to see Scotty, Birdman & Bro, Redrum & MBird, Aug's Bro and a bit of the Jauntee/Boombasnap acoustic lot set ;)

I stand by my statement last night that it felt like grad night at Disney World. LOTS of high schoolers who had no idea what some of the songs were.

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

jasonsobel

Quote from: shoreline99 on June 08, 2011, 08:22:52 AM
I stand by my statement last night that it felt like grad night at Disney World. LOTS of high schoolers who had no idea what some of the songs were.

there were a couple of kids right next to me.  I was talking to them before the show, asking them if they didn't mind sliding over a few seats, so that we could have the center of the row to tape from.  they were nice about it, and let us have the center, but they really had no idea.  first they asked if I was video taping from the section, and I explained that Phish doesn't allow video recording, but with a tapers ticket, Phish graciously lets us audio tape.  I then told them that they could download the show for free from bt.etree.org, and their first question was "why don't you sell the recording?"  :roll:  these kids clearly had no idea what taping/trading was all about, so I explained a bit more about the non-commercial nature of taping and trading, and why we couldn't and shouldn't sell the audience tapes.

mehead

Quote from: jasonsobel on June 08, 2011, 08:28:23 AM

there were a couple of kids right next to me.  I was talking to them before the show, asking them if they didn't mind sliding over a few seats, so that we could have the center of the row to tape from.  they were nice about it, and let us have the center, but they really had no idea.  first they asked if I was video taping from the section, and I explained that Phish doesn't allow video recording, but with a tapers ticket, Phish graciously lets us audio tape.  I then told them that they could download the show for free from bt.etree.org, and their first question was "why don't you sell the recording?"  :roll:  these kids clearly had no idea what taping/trading was all about, so I explained a bit more about the non-commercial nature of taping and trading, and why we couldn't and shouldn't sell the audience tapes.

good work out of you   :clap:
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

DoW

I have similar conversations at and leaving every show.
I think 4 different people at the show last night asked me who I work for.  when I answered "I work for you.", I got the same general confused look each time and they left me alone the rest of the night.

it was a win/win as far as I am concerned.  :)

bacchist

Rebuilding...

sunrisevt

^ :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

That reminds me of a college friend who got out of jury duty by quoting Marx to the DA during selection.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

jasonsobel

Quote from: bvaz on June 08, 2011, 08:34:03 AM

I think 4 different people at the show last night asked me who I work for.  when I answered "I work for you.", I got the same general confused look each time and they left me alone the rest of the night.

ha!  before the show, out in the lots, someone asked me if I worked for the New York Times.  (do reporters for the new york times carry around a gear bag and a large mic stand?)  the way they said it, made me think that it was actually a serious questions.

on the plus side, on my way out of the venue, I had several random people tap me on my shoulder and thanked me for taping.  and the 5 people in our row that had to shift a couple of seats over so that me and Lenny could be in the center were all very cool about it.  on the whole, though, it's no wonder that non-tapers end up with tapers tickets, if they don't even know what taping/trading is all about, then it's a good chance that they have no idea what a "taper ticket" is.

DoW

Quote from: jasonsobel on June 08, 2011, 08:39:52 AM
Quote from: bvaz on June 08, 2011, 08:34:03 AM

ha!  before the show, out in the lots, someone asked me if I worked for the New York Times.  (do reporters for the new york times carry around a gear bag and a large mic stand?)  the way they said it, made me think that it was actually a serious questions.

on the plus side, on my way out of the venue, I had several random people tap me on my shoulder and thanked me for taping.  and the 5 people in our row that had to shift a couple of seats over so that me and Lenny could be in the center were all very cool about it.  on the whole, though, it's no wonder that non-tapers end up with tapers tickets, if they don't even know what taping/trading is all about, then it's a good chance that they have no idea what a "taper ticket" is.
the NY Times comment is funny. 
we should get uniforms for next summer for the whole team.

I got thanked by a few people on the way out last night.  I'm just happy people still appreciate an AUD.

was also surrounded by good people last night.  the 2 people to my left didn't come back to their seats for the 2nd set so I had a little extra room.

all in all, it was a great night.  not much to complain about, except beers were $9.50

Alumni

That's a good point. I'm just getting back to the board after a(nother) hiatus. ll stay out of these threads from now on. I don't mean that sarcastically or passive aggressively. I'm just not interested in analyzing or reviewing, so there's no point getting in the way of others who do.

To answer your other question: sure, it's sad. I'm not exactly happy about abandoning hope that Phish will ever have the same effect on me that they used to. But it's not all or nothing. I still get something out of it, so I'll live in the moment.

And . . . AUDs rule.
Cause I got a degree