News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/15 - VWA at Encore Park - Alpharetta, GA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, June 15, 2011, 11:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

It Trey wants to fucking wail over every tune he should go play for Widespread Panic since he's bad enough to now play for them. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: sophist on June 16, 2011, 04:00:56 PM
It Trey wants to fucking wail over every tune he should go play for Widespread Panic since he's bad enough to now play for them.

Oh snap! Trey's so bad these days he could play with Widespread Panic! BURN!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

McGrupp

Quote from: G. Augusto on June 16, 2011, 03:51:47 PM
It's funny how all the new-school fans get so defensive over Phish these days.
How many of the old-school members here, that used to do a ton of Tour are still going out of our way to see shows?
Not many, if any at all.
I wonder if that's purely coincidence.... :roll:

The band has been stagnant since their comeback.
Trey is the leader of this band and he doesn't want to open things up anymore.
Look at TAB, they used to roll out HUGE jams night after night during the "drug years" and now have the same formula as Phish or vice-versa.
The only time you'll get a big "jam" is on another band member's birthday, albeit a sub-par smattering of all their 3.0 jam tricks.

Well, to be fair, a lot of you old school cats have already gotten your fill...

And it's a lot harder, for me at least, to get my fill on sub-par 3.0 shows, which is what keeps me coming back (ironically...)

It's the phish gambling addiction syndrome of 3.0. "Maybe the next show will be the one!"

And we keep rolling the dice.

A lot of the people who get really defensive about shows are the ones who think people are trying to attack their good time. I know that in 09, I was in a place that, if I had driven 6 hours out of the way to go see this band, and someone said it was a shitty show, I'd try my hardest to rationalize it and defend my decision. No way in hell someone was going to tell me after $200 spent and 12 hours in a car that my show, the one I went to was a shitty show...

Now, I've come to realize that I just love this band a lot, and I'm going to see them when I can/when I want to. Things would most definitely be different for me if I wasn't 22 and had better things to do with my time...

We need to stop taking this band so seriously. I, for one, am not going to get all worked up about a show with no jams anymore. I don't expect jams. When I go to a phish show, I expect to have a good time with my friends seeing live music. Any other sort of expectation might be holding them to an appropriately high standard given what they were capable of in the 90s, but it would also be very unrealistic given everything this band has shown us in the last 3 years.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

DoW

Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mattstick

Quote from: McGrupp on June 16, 2011, 04:08:09 PM
A lot of the people who get really defensive about shows are the ones who think people are trying to attack their good time. I know that in 09, I was in a place that, if I had driven 6 hours out of the way to go see this band, and someone said it was a shitty show, I'd try my hardest to rationalize it and defend my decision. No way in hell someone was going to tell me after $200 spent and 12 hours in a car that my show, the one I went to was a shitty show...

Now, I've come to realize that I just love this band a lot, and I'm going to see them when I can/when I want to. Things would most definitely be different for me if I wasn't 22 and had better things to do with my time...

It's almost impossible to go to a show and not have a good time.
On the other hand, it's almost impossible to sit and re-listen to a 3.0 show from start to finish.

DoW

How many of the old-school members here, that used to do a ton of Tour are still going out of our way to see shows?
Not many, if any at all.

Look at TAB, they used to roll out HUGE jams night after night during the "drug years" and now have the same formula as Phish or vice-versa.
The only time you'll get a big "jam" is on another band member's birthday, albeit a sub-par smattering of all their 3.0 jam tricks.

And it's a lot harder, for me at least, to get my fill on sub-par 3.0 shows, which is what keeps me coming back (ironically...)

It's the phish gambling addiction syndrome of 3.0. "Maybe the next show will be the one!"

just for the record, I've seen as much music in the past year and a half as I ever have, or at least pretty close.

as far as your defensive comment, I am not sure why people get defensive.  I talk about a certain band on here all the time that I know no one else likes and most people think they suck.  doesn't ruin my good time.

I'll use WTU as an example.  he doesn't care about any negativity on here.  he just goes from shwo to show and tells us what he loved about the previous show.

McGrupp

Quote from: mattstick on June 16, 2011, 04:11:35 PM

On the other hand, it's almost impossible to sit and re-listen to a 3.0 show from start to finish.

If that's what you want from this band, right now, it might be time to hang that jacket up...

Or keep rolling the dice...

CHOO CHOO!
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Hicks

Quote from: bvaz on June 16, 2011, 04:12:23 PM
Not many, if any at all.

just for the record, I've seen as much music in the past year and a half as I ever have, or at least pretty close.

as far as your defensive comment, I am not sure why people get defensive.  I talk about a certain band on here all the time that I know no one else likes and most people think they suck.  doesn't ruin my good time.

I'll use WTU as an example.  he doesn't care about any negativity on here.  he just goes from shwo to show and tells us what he loved about the previous show.

Except that his comments usually don't make much do with the actual musical content of the shows.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 16, 2011, 03:45:38 PM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on June 16, 2011, 03:43:28 PM
Quote from: mattstick on June 16, 2011, 03:06:56 PM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on June 16, 2011, 03:04:11 PM
Well, this comes back to whether you compare Phish to Phish or Phish to everything else. A Phish show without jams can still be an awesome show, just not an awesome Phish show.

Awesome! You just lowered the bar a little bit!

It's about managing my expectations and finding the right context and perspective within which to consider and criticize the show. I'm reasonably at peace with where I've come down on all of this for now. Last night, I saw a sub-par Phish show that had some decent moments combined with plenty of blue-balling and song selections I would not have lobbied for. On balance, I still enjoyed myself enough not to be ruing the experience.

These days, you have no choice but to lower the bar a little unless you want to walk out of every show seething mad.

You do have another choice...

Yes, of course, you could choose not to go to shows -- either not as many or none at all. For many people, including myself, the radius within which you're willing to travel to a show may be shrinking at this point. I'm OK with that. If I reach the point where I can't take enough positives away from a show experience to outweigh the negatives, I'll have no problem shutting it down.
Is this still Wombat?

DoW

Quote from: Hicks on June 16, 2011, 04:13:56 PM
Quote from: bvaz on June 16, 2011, 04:12:23 PM
Not many, if any at all.

Except that his comments usually don't make much do with the actual musical content of the shows.
you're right.  I forgot to mention that he is smart too.  even he can't fluff this music.

Hicks

I wonder if a poorly attended SBIX (should that end up happening) will affect the band. . .
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mattstick

Quote from: McGrupp on June 16, 2011, 04:12:48 PM
Quote from: mattstick on June 16, 2011, 04:11:35 PM

If that's what you want from this band, right now, it might be time to hang that jacket up...

Or keep rolling the dice...

CHOO CHOO!

If Phish is playing somewhere cool, a bunch of my crew wants to go, we can rent a nice house, I'm up for that good time.

I also reserve the right to point out that they're not playing very well when that's how I feel.  Defensive n00bs be damned.

danje

Not many, if any at all.

We need to stop taking this band so seriously. I, for one, am not going to get all worked up about a show with no jams anymore. I don't expect jams. When I go to a phish show, I expect to have a good time with my friends seeing live music. Any other sort of expectation might be holding them to an appropriately high standard given what they were capable of in the 90s, but it would also be very unrealistic given everything this band has shown us in the last 3 years.

Totally agreed on the gambling addiction analogy.  Dropped a fair amount of my income over the past few years chasing 'that show'.