News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/15 - VWA at Encore Park - Alpharetta, GA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, June 15, 2011, 11:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poster Nutbag

I've come to notice that the first set has become a much more important part of making or breaking a show... I think the band is playing much better technically speaking, and the second sets being absent of improve and jams, that the song selections of the first set, make them more interesting and energetic than most of the second sets, especially considering how plagued the shows have been with an over abundance of repeats. At least if they play a great first set, you might find yourself being a little more acceptable to what you get in the second.

And last night's show was off to a pretty solid start, with a Paul & Silas, Foam, a nice Timber, and a mound. I really wonder what was going to follow Mound... But having been forced to abort that set really put the dampers on the whole show. This show took a huge shot, that the band really had no control over, so to even compare to other shows from this year is sort of unfair.

Also I think the time allotment for Tweezer was taken up by the finishing of Mound in the second set, I know it's total speculation, but if Alpharetta was putting the horns to them, based on policy, the fact that it was raining, and half the place cleared out,they just decided to cut out the Tweezer jam and play the rest of the set as pre-written.   
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

rowjimmy

Quote from: JPhishman on June 16, 2011, 01:01:59 PM
My theory is that the webcast makes them (Trey) feel like it's a festival audience. Hence opening with Dinner and a Movie a la Brooklyn '04. That's the kind of set I would expect at Bonnaroo or something..... Big tunes played super safe.

That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

Well... It's not like that haven't been "playing it safe" through a lot of this tour.

McGrupp

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 16, 2011, 11:18:50 AM
Quote from: mistercharlie on June 16, 2011, 10:52:41 AM
Last night it seemed like everyone was ready to open up a Suzy jam and then Trey tried his damnedest to quash it. Leading to some humorous Pages House banter.

After watching the band up close for two nights in a row it is apparent that they are still in fine form and capable of doing extraordinary things, Trey just plain doesn't want to.

I think it has to do with patience. Trey has none right now. I hate to chalk his patient years up to drugs, but it makes some sense to me. He is a manic genius type. His mind is going a mile a minute. You can see it happen right before your eyes. You can hear it in the rants about critics in Bittersweet Motel. You know his brain is off on the next idea before he's even finished the current idea.

It is really pretty common for someone with that type of mind to get into a cycle of addiction. Drugs and alcohol can slow that type of mind down and make it easier to manage the information processing.

These days, Trey is in manic mode. At least that's what I see. He is hyped on stage. His brain is all over the place. He has no patience to let something develop. Even the Slave and Hood last night showed a lack of patience. I think the idea of us watching the webcast at home only made it worse.

The most patient playing I've seen in the 3.0 came in those small shows in the Northeast last fall. The Hood and Reba from the Augusta show I saw were good because Trey was patient... he let the jam unfold slowly and naturally. He didn't rush to the next thought.

Aborting a Tweezer just as the jam gets interesting is no different from peaking a hood way too soon, imo. It's about patience, or a lack thereof.

Smartest and most insightful post of the year.

Thanks, PG.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

McGrupp

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on June 16, 2011, 12:44:27 PM
Quote from: G. Augusto on June 16, 2011, 05:25:59 AM
For a split second, I honestly thought that they might attempt a 45 minute Tweezer to make it up to the fans...

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on June 16, 2011, 12:21:51 AM
this is hardly their worst show in a while.

What are some that are worse?

maybe worse is the wrong word.  i'd say 05/29 and 6/10 are no better

I think 6/10 might be a little better, but 6/1 = definitely just as bad.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

barnesy305

This is a little off topic for this particular show but, with all the repeats do you think they will have a green crew setlist this tour? Fuck, is green crew still around?

mattstick

Trey did say they can't play Harpua because they don't know it, and that they would play it soon.

Do I believe him?

sophist

Quote from: mattstick on June 16, 2011, 01:28:43 PM
Trey did say they can't play Harpua because they don't know it, and that they would play it soon.

Do I believe him?
where did he say that? 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

mistercharlie

Quote from: sophist on June 16, 2011, 01:30:57 PM

Do I believe him?
where did he say that?

During the first Mound.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

sophist

Quote from: mistercharlie on June 16, 2011, 01:34:53 PM

Do I believe him?
where did he say that?

During the first Mound.
I didn't make that out.  I couldn't hear him well because of the thunder as they stopped mound. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

UncleEbinezer

Do I believe him?
where did he say that?

During the first Mound.

:hopes its this weekend:
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

mattstick

guyforget

all harpua means anymore is that you get to hear fishman butcher a pop song that ive never heard of

harpua = the new hyhu
-AD_

VDB

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 16, 2011, 12:57:43 PM
Even Mr. Miner is hating on this show...

http://phishthoughts.com/2011/06/16/energy-without-an-edge/

He's been much less the reflexive fluffer these past few shows. Maybe he's finally sick of predicting absolute barn-burner shows that don't materialize.
Is this still Wombat?

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: guyforget on June 16, 2011, 01:45:48 PM
all harpua means anymore is that you get to hear fishman butcher a pop song that ive never heard of

harpua = the new hyhu

I know, but I still have yet to see one.   I know its still lame to "chase" songs, but its on the list.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

runawayjimbo

Do I believe him?
where did he say that?

During the first Mound.

I thought he was making a joke about having to stop playing Mound because they didn't know it. He said something like "That's the real reason."
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.