News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/15 - VWA at Encore Park - Alpharetta, GA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, June 15, 2011, 11:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoW

I must admit I am gettign sick of posting hate and agree with pie guy on that point.
I just keep drawing myself back in.
there is no need to bash a band we love.

I know I've crossed the line on being critical of a show (which we should do if it is deserved) and continuing to bash.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

rowjimmy

Quote from: cactusfan on June 17, 2011, 02:49:58 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on June 17, 2011, 02:41:30 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on June 17, 2011, 02:35:59 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on June 17, 2011, 01:52:30 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on June 17, 2011, 01:12:54 PM
Quote from: guyforget on June 17, 2011, 12:39:49 PM
maybe they dont need to retire, but most bands dont do 3 greatest hits tours a year, every year.

phish has a lot of 'greatest hits.' in the 15 shows played so far this summer, they've played 160 unique songs.

in, for example, summer '95, a total of 23 shows, 119 unique songs were played.

food for thought.

carry on...
They also released most of their albums (7) since 1995 so... yeah.

yes... not sure what your point is. they have more songs to choose from?
That's partially my point.
More than half of their catalog originates from AFTER the tour that you cited so my actual point was that yours was pretty much invalid.

not sure why you're inventing arguments i didn't make and calling them invalid.

all i'm saying is, this band continues to play a huge number of songs, and that to say they're a 'greatest hits' act based on the all the repeats is based on a misperception of the facts.

i picked summer '95 because it's a popular year for old phish. you could do the same thing with any pre-hiatus tour. they used to repeat songs a hell of a lot more than they do now.

with the many legitimate things to bitch about in 3.0, number of songs played isn't one of them. that is all.

Not sure how you think I'm making things up...

Wasn't your point that they played fewer unique songs in 95 vs today?
My point was that there are significantly more songs to choose from given that more than half of their recorded catalog originates from after the tour that you selected as an example.

The only way "unique songs played" can be validly used to compare repeats in those years is if one calculates the percentage of catalog that those unique songs represent.

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

Dyke van Dick

In 95 they did their very best to make Tuesdays Tweezer different and more interesting than The previous Fridays. This tour it's the same damn 6 minutes of jamming. No difference, the absolute same!!!

That is my problem. They can play Tweezer every night if they keep it fresh but it's not!

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

Hicks

Sheesh some of you act as though you are being tied down and forced to read negative comments/reviews/etc Clockwork Orange style or something.

If they annoy you, then maybe don't read them?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

cactusfan

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 17, 2011, 03:22:59 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on June 17, 2011, 02:49:58 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on June 17, 2011, 02:41:30 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on June 17, 2011, 02:35:59 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on June 17, 2011, 01:52:30 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on June 17, 2011, 01:12:54 PM
Quote from: guyforget on June 17, 2011, 12:39:49 PM
maybe they dont need to retire, but most bands dont do 3 greatest hits tours a year, every year.

phish has a lot of 'greatest hits.' in the 15 shows played so far this summer, they've played 160 unique songs.

in, for example, summer '95, a total of 23 shows, 119 unique songs were played.

food for thought.

carry on...
They also released most of their albums (7) since 1995 so... yeah.

yes... not sure what your point is. they have more songs to choose from?
That's partially my point.
More than half of their catalog originates from AFTER the tour that you cited so my actual point was that yours was pretty much invalid.

not sure why you're inventing arguments i didn't make and calling them invalid.

all i'm saying is, this band continues to play a huge number of songs, and that to say they're a 'greatest hits' act based on the all the repeats is based on a misperception of the facts.

i picked summer '95 because it's a popular year for old phish. you could do the same thing with any pre-hiatus tour. they used to repeat songs a hell of a lot more than they do now.

with the many legitimate things to bitch about in 3.0, number of songs played isn't one of them. that is all.

Not sure how you think I'm making things up...

Wasn't your point that they played fewer unique songs in 95 vs today?
My point was that there are significantly more songs to choose from given that more than half of their recorded catalog originates from after the tour that you selected as an example.

The only way "unique songs played" can be validly used to compare repeats in those years is if one calculates the percentage of catalog that those unique songs represent.

we're getting off track into semantics here, i think, but...

regardless of number of songs available to be played, which is obviously larger today than in '95, for any tour there is a grand total of unique songs played, and totals of how many times those songs were played. i was only trying to make the very small and specific point that today's phish is playing more unique songs less frequently than the phish of '95, which phish nobody ever claims was playing too few songs too often, despite, in the example of summer '95, playing Acoustic Army and Strange Design almost every other show.

it was but a litte point i was going for. not trying to sow dissent.

i think the reason phish feels so repetitive today vs. '95 is that all the songs, even if they aren't played that often, sound exactly fucking the same. as mentioned above, Tweezer is 10 minutes of rocking every show. in the old days, some songs were just songs--Sparkle is Sparkle every time it's played--but the Tweezers of the world were new and inventive every time, in other words they came off as different songs. that's what we've lost in 3.0.

they're not just playing the same songs--they're playing the same versions of the same songs.

but now here i am bitching, which i was hoping to avoid.
think i'll go listen to that Maze again...

blatboom

I wasn't there but I'm sure people were pretty fucking sick of AA & Strange Design by the end of summer '95.

my biggest problem with this whole discussion is folks trying to act like there aren't bands out there that can play circles around phish in 2011.  it may not be your style of music but come on.

G. Augusto

Quote from: blatboom on June 17, 2011, 04:52:56 PM
I wasn't there but I'm sure people were pretty fucking sick of AA & Strange Design by the end of summer '95.

my biggest problem with this whole discussion is folks trying to act like there aren't bands out there that can play circles around phish in 2011.  it may not be your style of music but come on.

Those new songs got played to death on that Tour.
There's been one original this run and it has only been played twice.
Also, there's a good chance you didn't actually hear the new stuff in '95 unless you were at the show.
Now is a little different, 'cause you can play the new stuff (and old) a hundred times before ever hitting another show.

So...you're saying you have a problem with Scott?  :wink:
I heard the worse 3.0 show he saw was better than any show from any other band....FACT.

Hicks

Some people are good at listening to music.

Others, good at taking dr00gz.

And then there's the select few that are good at both.   8-)
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

JPhishman

Quote from: Hicks on June 17, 2011, 05:11:27 PM

:raises hand:   :mrgreen:
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

G. Augusto

Also, you might get an Acoustic Army at almost every show, but you were almost guaranteed something EPIC in that same show.
Now, you just get the same old shit night after night with only EPIC FAILS.

G. Augusto

Quote from: JPhishman on June 17, 2011, 05:13:47 PM
Quote from: Hicks on June 17, 2011, 05:11:27 PM

:raises hand:   :mrgreen:

I knew you were as soon as you said that Dinner and a Movie opened up 06-17-2004.... :wink:

Quote from: JPhishman on June 16, 2011, 01:01:59 PM
My theory is that the webcast makes them (Trey) feel like it's a festival audience. Hence opening with Dinner and a Movie a la Brooklyn '04. That's the kind of set I would expect at Bonnaroo or something..... Big tunes played super safe.

That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

Throw on the vids....it's the ANNY!

JPhishman

whoops. Surprised it took so long for someone to call me out on that.....

second song. I was close.

:smoke:  :music:
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

G. Augusto

Quote from: JPhishman on June 17, 2011, 05:28:06 PM
whoops. Surprised it took so long for someone to call me out on that.....

second song. I was close.

:smoke:  :music:

:wink:

Gonna throw that first DVD on as my pre-show tunes.