News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/19 - Ntelos Pavilion - Portsmouth, VA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by mbw, June 19, 2011, 11:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: barnesy305 on June 20, 2011, 10:09:41 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on June 20, 2011, 10:01:09 PM
Quote from: phil on June 20, 2011, 08:59:15 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on June 20, 2011, 08:53:52 PM
I heard nothing significant in this Sand except that it was tight.

The tightness is what makes it. Near-flawless playing imo.

Tightness is expected.
I am rarely celebrated for not crashing the network at work.

You also did not create networking.

You misunderstand my analogy. (Also, Phish did not invent tight jamming.)

I am expected to keep it working. That's normal.
Phish is barely keeping the email flowing.

fauxpaxfauxreal

WhatstheUse?

Phish is still creating some amazing improvisational music.  It's not all as creative and explorative as we'd hope but the interplay going on between the 4 in even the most basic rawk peak jamming is quite impressive
Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on June 20, 2011, 10:35:09 PM
Phish is still creating some amazing improvisational music.  It's not all as creative and explorative as we'd hope but the interplay going on between the 4 in even the most basic rawk peak jamming is quite impressive

They are still playing well below their capacity for awesome.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Their inventiveness and unique phrasing that they're using in the most simplistic context is really super encouraging.  I want them to be making the best music possible and then trying and "improve" upon it.  I don't want them to simply improvise to make shitty music palpable.

I like what I hear right now.  I think they will expand upon it.

mehead

don't quite understand the hype around this Sand at all...like RJ said earlier, it is extremely tight but beyond that, pretty meh IMO...not even something I would go back to for a second listen
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

qop24

Had a great time at the show, I personally felt that this wasn't the best of the last few shows but it had some strong highlights. I absolutely loved that Sand - Walls of the Cave and Timber were fun as well as the opening father's day stuff.

Overall it was a pretty awesome weekend, easily the most fun I've had on tour in the past couple of years (in and out of the shows). Saw tons of paugers and was glad that the stub-downs worked so well at the NC shows!

See you all at SBIX  :beers:
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

gah

Had a freaking awesome time over this three night run. As for this show, rocked the railing most of the night, I'll get some pics up soon. Didn't know you didn't have your sea legs alumni, but thanks sharing those dank beers. Post that pic in the beer appreciation thread. Also, with all the Harpua talk in the roll call thread, I think further cements that someone is reading the paug!  :-D Given it a listen back now, but I remember enjoying C&P > WOTC and the Sand greatly! Harpua to open? Awesome. Brother? Bring it! Timber? F yeah. Good times, and great seeing so many paugers over these three nights. Just piecing my mind back together again here at work today...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

McGrupp

Quote from: qop24 on June 21, 2011, 10:11:59 AM
glad that the stub-downs worked so well at the NC shows!

you da man! sorry we never got up in pmouth dude. my phone died and shit was pretty insane for me pre-show (accidentally sold my extra that was supposed to be my buddy jake's.  :shakehead: :frustrated: due to a slight mis-communication. totally not heady.  :roll: and I had to go help him find an extra.... he got in! i was sweatin' it though...felt like a total dick.

Quote from: goodabouthood on June 21, 2011, 10:28:33 AM
As for this show, rocked the railing most of the night.

Me and the lady were 2nd row, right in front of Mike. Closest I've ever been!

I must say that being up close made me have a completely new idea of where the band is at right now. I could clearly see all of their facial expressions as they were working through jams. I'd hear Fish fuck up a little transition, and page and trey would just laugh and smile. I think they're really having a lot of fun up there. I even saw a few huge mike grins. Previously, I always thought that if someone screwed up a cue or a transition, the rest of the boys would be pissed or upset, but they were totally just having fun and the vibe was very light-hearted. This may be an excuse or rationalization for their musical mis-steps, but honestly, I'm just happy to see them having fun. That's what phish is supposed to do!
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

qop24

Quote from: McGrupp on June 21, 2011, 10:47:10 AM

you da man! sorry we never got up in pmouth dude. my phone died and shit was pretty insane for me pre-show (accidentally sold my extra that was supposed to be my buddy jake's.  :shakehead: :frustrated: due to a slight mis-communication. totally not heady.  :roll: and I had to go help him find an extra.... he got in! i was sweatin' it though...felt like a total dick.

It's cool man, things were pretty hectic for me too - I only ended up having like 10 mins to kill by the time we got all settled and met up with Alley's cousin and everything. Glad Jake got in, that must have been stressful!

gah

Quote from: qop24 on June 21, 2011, 11:15:08 AM

It's cool man, things were pretty hectic for me too - I only ended up having like 10 mins to kill by the time we got all settled and met up with Alley's cousin and everything. Glad Jake got in, that must have been stressful!

Oh yeah, nice seeing Alley, too. Sorry I didn't have time to hit on her this time. Tell her I say hi, and will hit her up next time you're out of town. Thanks. :-D

qop24

Quote from: goodabouthood on June 21, 2011, 11:32:19 AM

Oh yeah, nice seeing Alley, too. Sorry I didn't have time to hit on her this time. Tell her I say hi, and will hit her up next time you're out of town. Thanks. :-D

Remind me never to give you free things again  :samurai:

gah

Quote from: qop24 on June 21, 2011, 11:38:54 AM
Quote from: goodabouthood on June 21, 2011, 11:32:19 AM

Remind me never to give you free things again  :samurai:

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

I kid because I like you. Otherwise, I'd just ignore you like I do with that McGrupp character.

phil

Quote from: mehead on June 21, 2011, 10:06:53 AM
don't quite understand the hype around this Sand at all...like RJ said earlier, it is extremely tight but beyond that, pretty meh IMO...not even something I would go back to for a second listen

To each his own I guess. I've already listened to it twice today, probably gonna do one more before class and then again after I get out. Can't get enough of that shit.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

fauxpaxfauxreal