News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Waves FTA Bethel Tech Rehearsal......thanks K.Shapiro....now the ???'s.

Started by Superfreakie, July 01, 2011, 02:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

jedifunk

Quote from: sophist on July 01, 2011, 10:37:49 AM
Losing the bet would mean at least some progress in my opinion.  Especially if they sound anything like that Waves jam.   I really like the Detroit DWD, but I don't expect to see or hear anything like it for a really long time.  So losing this bet would possibly mean the frequency of longer jams is increasing, which is a great thing in my book.

i really enjoy that DWD as well... certainly the most ambitious jam in 2011
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

runawayjimbo

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 01, 2011, 10:34:14 AM
Quote from: sophist on July 01, 2011, 10:30:32 AM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 01, 2011, 10:25:51 AM
Actually, I think it along with the 2 jams from the soundcheck yesterday answer a lot of questions. They can still play with creativity and originality and Trey does feel safe inside a jam, but only when no one's watching. There's no pressure. You can hear how much looser they are. Maybe playing a festival to 1/3 capacity will help them reconnect.

As for the jam, it starts out with some typical 3.0 stuff, even A Love Supreme-like theme at one point. But they push past it and find some truly glorious space. It's kinda reassuring because I really thought they simply could not play like this anymore. But it's also a little depressing because I'm pretty sure Sophist is gonna win his 15+ min bet this weekend.
My thoughts exactly.

You'd like to lose the bet, though... right?

I think Jimbo is fairly on point but I'm definitely displeased with the fact that they don't try to do this in front of an audience.
It wouldn't be called "taking a risk" if it always went perfectly. You have to be willing to step out the door. Hearing them actually lock up and jam like that proves that they CAN and makes clear that they CHOOSE NOT TO DO SO.

:x

Choosing not to do so and being unable to shed their (read his) inhibitions of falling on their faces are not necessarily the same thing in my book. Not that it makes it any more defensible, but it certainly explains all the ~>'s.

Quote from: mehead on July 01, 2011, 10:42:08 AM
maybe I'll just start bailing shows after the soundcheck

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

phil

Actually, I think it along with the 2 jams from the soundcheck yesterday answer a lot of questions. They can still play with creativity and originality and Trey does feel safe inside a jam, but only when no one's watching. There's no pressure. You can hear how much looser they are. Maybe playing a festival to 1/3 capacity will help them reconnect.

As for the jam, it starts out with some typical 3.0 stuff, even A Love Supreme-like theme at one point. But they push past it and find some truly glorious space. It's kinda reassuring because I really thought they simply could not play like this anymore. But it's also a little depressing because I'm pretty sure Sophist is gonna win his 15+ min bet this weekend.
My thoughts exactly.

I think Jimbo is fairly on point but I'm definitely displeased with the fact that they don't try to do this in front of an audience.
It wouldn't be called "taking a risk" if it always went perfectly. You have to be willing to step out the door. Hearing them actually lock up and jam like that proves that they CAN and makes clear that they CHOOSE NOT TO DO SO.

Long jams don't put asses in the seats any more brah.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

rowjimmy

Quote from: phil on July 01, 2011, 10:55:02 AM

My thoughts exactly.

Absence of long jams = only one show this year for RJ

mehead

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 01, 2011, 10:57:06 AM
Quote from: phil on July 01, 2011, 10:55:02 AM

My thoughts exactly.

Absence of long jams = only one show this year for RJ

= zero shows this year for me
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Hicks

Quote from: Hicks on July 01, 2011, 10:59:10 AM
This Waves proves that the "just happy that they are playing" crowd is dead wrong.

Phish is still capable of producing mind blowing improv, but it seems we won't get it consistently if we are satisfied with less.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

danje

Wow, this is easily the most exploratory and well executed jam of 3.0. Heartbreaking that they have been going out every night this past tour sitting on this type of potential and failing to execute. I'm guessing their sobriety is playing a role in why we can only get something like this at soundcheck.

Multibeast12

Quote from: danje on July 01, 2011, 12:00:17 PM
Wow, this is easily the most exploratory and well executed jam of 3.0. Heartbreaking that they have been going out every night this past tour sitting on this type of potential and failing to execute. I'm guessing their sobriety is playing a role in why we can only get something like this at soundcheck.
Agreed, I would have gone to SBIX if they were producing stuff like this more often.

susep

guyforget

-AD_

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

khalpin

^^^ I could see this post being uber-quoted like the one from a year ago or so, where it ended up disturbing the space/time continuum.

gah

Quote from: khalpin on July 01, 2011, 01:30:43 PM
^^^ I could see this post being uber-quoted like the one from a year ago or so, where it ended up disturbing the space/time continuum.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Quote from: Superfreakie on July 01, 2011, 01:22:45 PM
Quote from: guyforget on July 01, 2011, 01:18:54 PM
Quote from: susep on July 01, 2011, 12:25:02 PM
Quote from: Multibeast12 on July 01, 2011, 12:18:13 PM
Agreed, I would have gone to SBIX if they were producing stuff like this more often.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.