News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/03 - Super Ball IX - Watkins Glen, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, July 04, 2011, 12:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qop24

Quote from: KingOfPrussia2155 on July 05, 2011, 04:08:41 PM
I really thought that No Quarter was going to be a one time guy. I do not hate the fact that it was played.

I was pretty damn excited. Page teased it about 30 seconds before they moved in that direction and after I got majorly blueballed by that in MPP, I decided to not get my hopes up. Then they actually played it, and it was awesome. That song works very well with phish imo.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

runawayjimbo

Quote from: qop24 on July 05, 2011, 04:25:55 PM
I really thought that No Quarter was going to be a one time guy. I do not hate the fact that it was played.

I was pretty damn excited. Page teased it about 30 seconds before they moved in that direction and after I got majorly blueballed by that in MPP, I decided to not get my hopes up. Then they actually played it, and it was awesome. That song works very well with phish imo.

I agree. Who wants a 25 min DwD to open Set II when they can play a cover of a major bust out they haven't played since the beginning of June?
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

sophist

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 05, 2011, 04:30:52 PM

I agree. Who wants a 25 min DwD to open Set II when they can play a cover of a major bust out they haven't played since the beginning of June?
So this is what getting deep throat'd with logic looks like. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

qop24

Quote from: sophist on July 05, 2011, 04:32:13 PM

I love Phish. I love the song No Quarter. Phish does an awesome no quarter, therefore I had fun hearing that one and thought it was a really good version. How's that for logic?

:roll:

Seriously, this whole "you aren't allowed to enjoy 3.0 phish no matter what" is getting really old guys.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

sophist

Repeating heavy hitter covers is a good thing to you?  I love Cross Eyed & Painless but I don't want to see it every time they take the stage.  That's my problem right here.  Very cool that they dropped this randomly the first time, and then they saw the awesome crowd reaction to it.  I know they can jam but they would rather play something like Zep and people eat it up as if was this epic thing.  It's not though.  The fact that it was placed in the same slot is very gimmicky to me and shows they care more about being lazy setlist wise versus actually trying to take the music somewhere. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

spaced

Quote from: sophist on July 05, 2011, 05:01:59 PM
Repeating heavy hitter covers is a good thing to you?  I love Cross Eyed & Painless but I don't want to see it every time they take the stage.  That's my problem right here.  Very cool that they dropped this randomly the first time, and then they saw the awesome crowd reaction to it.  I know they can jam but they would rather play something like Zep and people eat it up as if was this epic thing.  It's not though.  The fact that it was placed in the same slot is very gimmicky to me and shows they care more about being lazy setlist wise versus actually trying to take the music somewhere. 

As a general matter, I kind of agree. Setlist shenanigans always feel kind of gimmicky to me, especially when they are covers, but this one delivers musically so I had no problem with it. I haven't relistened since the stream, but I remember the segue being smooth as hell, and they played the shit out of it.

For me, I was still pretty optimistic about this set until the Ghost. I mean, what's the point of playing that song for 7 minutes or whatever it was? I honestly just don't understand band's the reasoning on that one.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: qop24 on July 05, 2011, 04:50:44 PM
Seriously, this whole "you aren't allowed to enjoy 3.0 phish no matter what" is getting really old guys.

See my post above where I said the 1st set was the best of 3.0.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

jedifunk

personally, i thought the start of that set was great right up until party time.  not that the song is bad, but it was a bad placement, and it killed the set. 

while the dwd was pretty standard as far as the jam goes, the -> to no quarter was sublime, and the no quarter itself was awesome.  they should have just ended the set right there.  or at least skipped to the waves -> wtu.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

PIE-GUY

I spent some time each day with an old friend of a friend who was there representing the New York Times. Here are the results of his labor:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/06/arts/music/phish-gives-its-fans-a-festival-in-watkins-glen-ny.html?_r=1

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mistercharlie

ASIHTOS is great! Glad it was the video they decided to release!!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

sunrisevt

Quote from: sophist on July 05, 2011, 04:32:13 PM

Rams, you know I won't stop loving you, big ugly cracker that you are. One of the reasons I love you, besides your faithful honoring of the 'campsite rules' in your relationship with George, is that I'm sure you also know that logic has a seriously limited usefulness in matters of personal taste.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

sunrisevt

Quote from: spaced on July 05, 2011, 05:19:02 PM
Quote from: sophist on July 05, 2011, 05:01:59 PM

As a general matter, I kind of agree. Setlist shenanigans always feel kind of gimmicky to me, especially when they are covers, but this one delivers musically so I had no problem with it. I haven't relistened since the stream, but I remember the segue being smooth as hell, and they played the shit out of it.

For me, I was still pretty optimistic about this set until the Ghost. I mean, what's the point of playing that song for 7 minutes or whatever it was? I honestly just don't understand band's the reasoning on that one.

Expecting them to reason was your first mistake.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

phil

Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

mistercharlie

I gotta say this first set is pretty awesome. I just enjoyed the hell out of it! Reba was really good, the little jam at the end seemed like a 'Ball Square Jam' Reprise. Bowie was fierce and well played. And that ASIHTOS jam was inspired to say the least.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mbw

having heard dwd 8 million times in my life, and having seen slightly less, and with about a 5% chance of it going 25 minutes, and having never seen no quarter;  I would have preferred no quarter.