News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

some thoughts

Started by Gumbo72203, July 05, 2011, 10:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 07, 2011, 12:10:01 PM
The band is still spewing with musicality.

The most basic "rawk peak" jam out of, say 46 Days, is still CHALKED FULL of impressive musical ideas.  There's TONS of bands that do the rawk peak thing, but none of those bands do it as well as Phish. 

Any musician should be able to hear this.  The 4 of them are still playing off of each other with incredible listening skills.  The fills that Mike throws in right before the HUUUGGGEE peaks are phenomenal.  The way Fishman/Trey seemingly become one connected unit together is nothing short of amazing.

Seriously impressive musicianship is still happening.  It's not like 2009 came around and all of a sudden they all suck @ their instruments....

And there you have it, good enough is good enough apparently.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Hicks on July 07, 2011, 12:51:33 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 07, 2011, 12:10:01 PM
The band is still spewing with musicality.

The most basic "rawk peak" jam out of, say 46 Days, is still CHALKED FULL of impressive musical ideas.  There's TONS of bands that do the rawk peak thing, but none of those bands do it as well as Phish. 

Any musician should be able to hear this.  The 4 of them are still playing off of each other with incredible listening skills.  The fills that Mike throws in right before the HUUUGGGEE peaks are phenomenal.  The way Fishman/Trey seemingly become one connected unit together is nothing short of amazing.

Seriously impressive musicianship is still happening.  It's not like 2009 came around and all of a sudden they all suck @ their instruments....

And there you have it, good enough is good enough apparently.

wait..... but..... I......  :frustrated:
Bring in the dude!

Nobes

Quote from: sophist on July 07, 2011, 10:13:44 AM
Quote from: Nobes on July 07, 2011, 09:39:33 AM
QuoteIt's not going to be a popular opinion, but it amazes me how phish phans that do dig this rock peak version of Phish also hate on Panic when Panic does it much better.  They're the better rock band.

12-02-95 Tweezer says otherwise.

P.S. '95 was full of rawk peaks, people. It's not like it was all "exploration" back then.
Reading is fundamental dude.  I'm talking about 3.0 phish but thanks for playing.

K. Thanks for playing...the part of a defensive d-bag.

sophist

Quote from: Nobes on July 07, 2011, 01:06:01 PM
QuoteIt's not going to be a popular opinion, but it amazes me how phish phans that do dig this rock peak version of Phish also hate on Panic when Panic does it much better.  They're the better rock band.

P.S. '95 was full of rawk peaks, people. It's not like it was all "exploration" back then.
Reading is fundamental dude.  I'm talking about 3.0 phish but thanks for playing.

So I'm a d-bag for also being a smart ass?  Right......
You jumped to some conclusion because you were giddy with anticipation of "pwning" somebody on the internet.  I'd say the douche level is equal at the very least. 

Quote from: guyforget on July 07, 2011, 12:48:23 PM
Quote from: sophist on July 07, 2011, 08:46:06 AM
I think it's fucking hilarious that two people posted Trey isn't watching the crowd after I post an interview with Trey and he exclaims he does watch the crowd.  That's what he has always done.  From the moment I first laid my eyes on Trey at a show to this very point in time that's who I watch at Phish.  Never anyone else.  His trademark move is picking one person in the back of the room and playing to them, and the theory is that if you get that person off, then you get everyone who is in front of that person. 

i didnt say exactly that he didnt watch people.  of course he watches people when he can see them, what the hell else does he have to look at unless he goes all eddie van halen and stands w/ his back to the crowd.  what i did say was that half the time he's got blinding lights shining into his eyes when he's looking out into a dark room. i dont think that anyone could really argue that he doesnt.  you know what its like to stand in a lighted area trying to look out into the dark, right?  you cant see shit. 

and, not to nitpick, but in the quote you cited, trey mentioned that he judges crowd reactions by what he hears, not sees. 

Trey quote on crowd watching: 

QuoteAnd I can tell that from the reaction I hear from the audience.

Reading is fundamental dude.
I've already commented on the lights.  Have I played for 12,000+ people?  No sir.  But I have played on a stage with a nice light set up, and I've been able to see fine and see what the crowd was doing.  I've also sat behind the stage a few times, and yes, at times the lights do even blare my vision, but there were also times when I could see clearly past the lights and make out facial expressions from people in front of the stage.  I'd say the same thing happens with the band.  Especially when CK hits the white lights and raises them to the top of the venue. 

If you want to be nit picky and say it's just him listening, then fine, it only strengthens my argument as well.  Either way, he's paying attention to what's going on with the crowd. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Nobes

Quote from: sophist on July 07, 2011, 02:00:18 PM

You jumped to some conclusion because you were giddy with anticipation of "pwning" somebody on the internet.  I'd say the douche level is equal at the very least. 

I think it's fucking hilarious that two people posted Trey isn't watching the crowd after I post an interview with Trey and he exclaims he does watch the crowd.  That's what he has always done.  From the moment I first laid my eyes on Trey at a show to this very point in time that's who I watch at Phish.  Never anyone else.  His trademark move is picking one person in the back of the room and playing to them, and the theory is that if you get that person off, then you get everyone who is in front of that person. 

i didnt say exactly that he didnt watch people.  of course he watches people when he can see them, what the hell else does he have to look at unless he goes all eddie van halen and stands w/ his back to the crowd.  what i did say was that half the time he's got blinding lights shining into his eyes when he's looking out into a dark room. i dont think that anyone could really argue that he doesnt.  you know what its like to stand in a lighted area trying to look out into the dark, right?  you cant see shit. 

and, not to nitpick, but in the quote you cited, trey mentioned that he judges crowd reactions by what he hears, not sees. 

I've already commented on the lights.  Have I played for 12,000+ people?  No sir.  But I have played on a stage with a nice light set up, and I've been able to see fine and see what the crowd was doing.  I've also sat behind the stage a few times, and yes, at times the lights do even blare my vision, but there were also times when I could see clearly past the lights and make out facial expressions from people in front of the stage.  I'd say the same thing happens with the band.  Especially when CK hits the white lights and raises them to the top of the venue. 

If you want to be nit picky and say it's just him listening, then fine, it only strengthens my argument as well.  Either way, he's paying attention to what's going on with the crowd.

I am man enough to admit it, you are 100% right. I was backed into a corner and lashed out.  And you "pwned" me in very funny way taboot. Well done. I'll take that douche crown now and shut the fuck up.

DoW

Quote from: Nobes on July 07, 2011, 02:37:32 PM
Quote from: sophist on July 07, 2011, 02:00:18 PM

I am man enough to admit it, you are 100% right. I was backed into a corner and lashed out.  And you "pwned" me in very funny way taboot. Well done. I'll take that douche crown now and shut the fuck up.
fwiw on the original comment, I agree with it 100%.  I don't listent o panic so I am not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with the panic part.

for me, it's not that other bands have gone up the ladder for me, just phish has come down to the level of other bands.  and the reality is you still need to do some planning to go see phsih while other bands can be seen without much planning.  it is just less of a hassle to see a "lesser" tier jamband that is no longer that much lower musically (in my opinion of course).

but then again, it is not much of a surprise that I agree with an opinion that is not popular but it is my true opinion.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

sophist

I didn't pwn anything.  Nor was my comment very funny either.  Nor did I say anyone deserves a douche crown.  It's the internet, lighten the fuck up.  I don't take anything personally here, you shouldn't either. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Hicks

Quote from: sophist on July 07, 2011, 03:30:57 PM
I didn't pwn anything.  Nor was my comment very funny either.  Nor did I say anyone deserves a douche crown.  It's the internet, lighten the fuck up.  I don't take anything personally here, you shouldn't either.

Hey now, dude was trying to make nice.
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sophist

Quote from: Hicks on July 07, 2011, 03:32:58 PM

I don't see myself as being mean here.  I'm basically saying no reason to call yourself or anyone else a douche.  The style here is dry humor.  Roll with it.  Is all I'm getting at. 

Hicks

Quote from: sophist on July 07, 2011, 03:34:39 PM

I don't see myself as being mean here.  I'm basically saying no reason to call yourself or anyone else a douche.  The style here is dry humor.  Roll with it.  Is all I'm getting at.

I'm just saying that "lighten the fuck up" isn't the nicest response to what was basically an apology.

sophist

Quote from: Hicks on July 07, 2011, 03:36:18 PM
Quote from: sophist on July 07, 2011, 03:34:39 PM

I'm just saying that "lighten the fuck up" isn't the nicest response to what was basically an apology.
You're right.  I picked the wrong wording there.  That was my bad.  My sailor's mouth got the best of me. 

sunrisevt

OK, everyone, I went out to the drugstore for us all...

PS Don't ever image search "sand in vagina," even with a South Park or Cartman keyword added.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

sophist

Quote from: sunrisevt on July 07, 2011, 03:44:26 PM
OK, everyone, I went out to the drugstore for us all...

PS Don't ever image search "sand in vagina," even with a South Park or Cartman keyword added.

I find this hilarious. 

runawayjimbo

Must...resist...image search. Fuck too late:

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Hicks

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 07, 2011, 04:09:01 PM

Must...resist...image search. Fuck too late:

Lol, Chris Pontius ftw.