News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

some thoughts

Started by Gumbo72203, July 05, 2011, 10:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: VA $l!m on August 13, 2011, 12:10:13 PM
Quote from: sophist on August 12, 2011, 05:13:58 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 12, 2011, 04:44:23 PM
I have some thoughts...Phish is easily still the best touring band in the world.

The setlists are still getting 3.0'd and the jams are still getting cut off but that is no different than the last 3 years.  What I am seeing this tour is a huge improvement on the "bigger jams" of each night. The Gorge R&R and Antelope....and Tahoe Light and Jim all kick ass.  Better than a lot of the "jams" I saw 1st leg. Haters are missing out.
You named about 50 minutes out of what, 10 hours of music so far?  Pass.  When they get back to melting faces every night, then give me a call.  And I LOL at calling them the best touring band in the world.  Just because you have the most fun at their shows doesn't translate to their level of talent.  Those two things are mutually exclusive.  You always seem to miss that point Scotty.  You raging like a mother fucker doesn't mean the music is awesome.  It just means you know how to have a good time.  In fact, when we actually get down to the music, there's really little to nothing to say about it, unlike the catalog of work that is 1.0, where one could opine for years on end with what they did in their prime. 

Quote from: VA $l!m on August 12, 2011, 03:16:33 PM
music is dead. get over it.

animal collective Is Phish or Dead? LMAO.
In terms of pushing music that evokes a collective conscience?  Yes.  Without a doubt they are the most psychedelic band out there right now.  I'm sorry you're feeling old and bitter at the moment dude, but music is far from dead.   So many bands are making amazing music right now.  I get my face ripped off everyday by something new.  Quit being senile, and go expose yourself to the plethora of amazing artists out there.  Amazing hip hop, jazz, funk, electronic, indie, noise, experimental, classical, etc is being produced everyday and it's fucking musical gold.

you're missing my point, but obviously there is a lot more discussion goin on in this thread then what i was trying to point out.
i'm not talking about whether or not i personally enjoy music that is being produced by bands today.
i am more trying to point out a non disbutable fact that today's music and the way in which it is appreciated has changed forever.

do you not think that the fact that popular music is consumed, and as a result produced, completely differently than it was over the last 50 years of the 20th century could change how it is appreciated?

I hear what you're saying. About how the way we listen to music also affects the way we appreciate music. The fact that we can now easily download a single within seconds changes also the way music is produced. Band/artists no longer (in general) conceptualize entire albums, a sides, b sides, the flow of an album, etc. The younger generations short attention spans require quick easy to digest material. Also, what defines popular music changes with time too. At one point in time Jazz was popular music, for example.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

roggae

Clearly it's all awful.

Hicks

I have some thoughts...Phish is easily still the best touring band in the world.

The setlists are still getting 3.0'd and the jams are still getting cut off but that is no different than the last 3 years.  What I am seeing this tour is a huge improvement on the "bigger jams" of each night. The Gorge R&R and Antelope....and Tahoe Light and Jim all kick ass.  Better than a lot of the "jams" I saw 1st leg. Haters are missing out.
You named about 50 minutes out of what, 10 hours of music so far?  Pass.  When they get back to melting faces every night, then give me a call.  And I LOL at calling them the best touring band in the world.  Just because you have the most fun at their shows doesn't translate to their level of talent.  Those two things are mutually exclusive.  You always seem to miss that point Scotty.  You raging like a mother fucker doesn't mean the music is awesome.  It just means you know how to have a good time.  In fact, when we actually get down to the music, there's really little to nothing to say about it, unlike the catalog of work that is 1.0, where one could opine for years on end with what they did in their prime. 

In terms of pushing music that evokes a collective conscience?  Yes.  Without a doubt they are the most psychedelic band out there right now.  I'm sorry you're feeling old and bitter at the moment dude, but music is far from dead.   So many bands are making amazing music right now.  I get my face ripped off everyday by something new.  Quit being senile, and go expose yourself to the plethora of amazing artists out there.  Amazing hip hop, jazz, funk, electronic, indie, noise, experimental, classical, etc is being produced everyday and it's fucking musical gold.

you're missing my point, but obviously there is a lot more discussion goin on in this thread then what i was trying to point out.
i'm not talking about whether or not i personally enjoy music that is being produced by bands today.
i am more trying to point out a non disbutable fact that today's music and the way in which it is appreciated has changed forever.

do you not think that the fact that popular music is consumed, and as a result produced, completely differently than it was over the last 50 years of the 20th century could change how it is appreciated?

The fallacy of your logic is that music was produced and consumed the same way between 1950-2000, when nothing can be further from the truth.

It's been constantly changing the whole time.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VA $l!m

Quote from: Hicks on August 13, 2011, 01:54:25 PM

The fallacy of your logic is that music was produced and consumed the same way between 1950-2000, when nothing can be further from the truth.

It's been constantly changing the whole time.

to be specific you are correct.
i on the other hand assume most people can understand the generalization i am making.

however i am done with this thread. i'm far from teh mood of arguing my point with anyone here. have a nice day.

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

WhatstheUse?

Phish is playing good right now.  So much consistently better than the first leg.  I'd put it as my favorite 3.0 tour so far along with Leg II Summer 2010.

Just watched some of the vimeo picks from this leg for the first time and was very pleased.  The Gorge Roggae, Tahoe Light, & UIC Undermind are fantastic type 2 jamming.

The type II jams are there, and coming in unexpected places from time to time.  Trey is being patient and laying back in a bunch of the bigger jams from this tour.  He doesn't do much other than add textures/rhythms during that light jam for about the last 7 minutes -- it's great playing and allows mike to take the lead.

I'd say the only dud show of the tour so far was Hollywood Bowl.  The other 8 have been high-energy Phish with more big highlights than your average 3.0 tour, imo. My favs have been:

Gorge:  R&R>Meatstick>Boogie, Roggae, Antelope

Tahoe:   Light, Walls of the Cave, Runaway Jim

UIC:   Alumni, Waves>Undermind, LxL, DWD, C&P>No Quarter

Colorado will be awesome.  :wtu: :phish:
Bring in the dude!

Buffalo Budd

I'm seriously stoked about this last leg and haven't heard a note.
:phish:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

nab

Just got done reading the Post Show 08-17-11 thread while listening to the show for the first time.  There was a lot of talk in there about Trey having ADD.  While a less than four minute Ghost is of course respectable evidence for the ADD argument, I have to confess that there is also another factor that effects my ability to make any sort of educated review of any show anymore:

My ADD

No I don't have a clinical problem, and mean no disrespect by using the colloquial understanding of ADD, but there are a lot of things that crop up every day that distract from my ability to analyze music with any sort of objectivity.  I'm lucky if I can sequester two solid hours a day to listen to any music without interruption.  An hour is more likely, and less than that is more realistic.  The office I work in is quiet and demands that I be able to hear and interact with coworkers. 

When that hour (or please God, two hours) comes, last night's show has to compete with the Miller/MOTB/Old School Taper source I also picked up today, as well as the suggested albums already in the listening chute.  Then there is my mood.  Someeretimes the experimental album in the suggestion pile is too much for me to handle at the moment and I'll retreat to the comfort of a Here Comes Sunshine from 1973 instead.  Sometimes I'm in the mood for some Phish, but rather than something I don't know, I reach for an old favorite, like the 11-17-97 Ghost  :evil: and run out of listening time.

Back onto thread point, here is what I've observed about myself:

1.  A random 1.0 show I thrown on, no matter how solidly reviewed, has a 50/50 shot of holding my attention through the entirety of my listening session.  I'll hit the reviewed highlights first, move on to personal favorites, to cool looking segues, and finally the rest, if I don't have time to listen to the whole show.  A 2.0 or 3.0 show has pretty much the same chance. 

2.  If I'm in the mood to listen to Phish, the show I'm currently listening to is my favorite.  Might not stand the test of time, but it's almost always an enjoyable and engrossing listening.   

3.  I can't  name the last 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0 show I listened to in it's entirety twice in the last 6 months. 

Increased availability of digitally disseminated  sources, coupled with the increase in communication enabled by this distribution, has made us more vocally discriminate in our "trump shows", especially for the show that is closest to recent memory.   

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.