News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

Quote from: anthrax on March 23, 2014, 11:21:28 AM
http://web.archive.org/web/19980110135700/http://gadiel.com/phish/

This was early '98.  I got a kick out of the rumors page...

In 1998, Phish will produce an album early in the year, which makes a spring tour unlikely.

There will be a Halloween show next year, most likely they won't cover an album though

I  guess we're talking about the Island Tour, and man did that news come down at the last minute.
thank god that was right when my crew was on da tip and ready to go at a moments notice.
usually the dirty rich crowd was a lil too burnt to catch shit like that before it was over, lol :crazy:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

anthrax

Quote from: VA $l!m on March 23, 2014, 04:50:54 PM

I  guess we're talking about the Island Tour, and man did that news come down at the last minute.
thank god that was right when my crew was on da tip and ready to go at a moments notice.
usually the dirty rich crowd was a lil too burnt to catch shit like that before it was over, lol :crazy:

ha!  yeah, i remember crushing the onsale.  all 4 shows went onsale on the same morning and with my dad's help, i scored a pair for each of the 4 nights via the phone.  this was one of the only times i got tix via the phone.  boom!  it was meant to be.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/118320/List-10-Little-Known-Facts-About-Phish%27s-Island-Tour
#4: Phish announced the Island Tour on February 24, just 37 days before the start of the run and a mere four days before tickets went on sale.

rowjimmy

Quote from: VA $l!m on March 21, 2014, 07:56:43 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 21, 2014, 03:13:17 PM
Quote from: birdman on March 21, 2014, 01:04:27 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 21, 2014, 08:31:22 AM
That was a great night.
I remember seeing you in passing in the hallway pre-show(?).

I had an ear infection at those shows and felt like shit but it was so worth it.
I did  a weekend of shows with a massive ear infection. Spent most of the nights lying on lawn wishing I'd stayed
Home. Not much fun.

Must not have been Grateful Dead!

Eta:
Yeah, I was in for both. Rode out with E in the back seat of his Volvo wagon with a broken passenger side window. My ear did not appreciate the breeze but there was nowhere else I'd have rather been.

i dunno what it was about those shows, but almost everyone i know that went had some weird or sad story to go along with it.
Richfield was a really weird place for a dead show.
i remember the hotel we stayed in we were convinced was run by nazis, and then our entire crew was stuck  for the whole trip smoking a LP of  horrible swag we brought from home... and the dude whos LP it was only smoked blunts so by the time we got home i was sure i had lung cancer.... and then i cant exactly recall but there was some famous dude near us on Vince side by the stage where we were in the vip.
pretty sure it was either bill walton or al gore, lol, but for some reason i think it was some relevant politician for the time.

what weird trip for sure... pretty sure there was alot of rain... that'd explain the Bertha,  and we all got shut out night 1 except my home boy slOMAR that i talked about from the philly show gate busting incident the previous fall--- dude was the KING of getting in shows no matter what.

once we knew there wasnt going to be many tix that 1st night he fucking Bribed a yellow coat security dude for his coat and then just walked in the backstage door, lol--awesome.
-- then since the band had already took the stage he just started sneaking around and going in all the dressing rooms, no lie.
after the show he brought back a ton of random  momentos from Jerrys room including the sign with his name on it and some matches, smokes, guitar picks i think... or somethin :smoke:  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

I remember snow on the ground.
Our motel was one of the worst I've stayed in (aside from post Pittsburgh '95) and it was, like the venue, at no particular place other than the intersection of two big roads.
That was probably one of my more sober runs due to my illness. I didn't want to indulge too heavily for fear that it might make things (seem) worse.

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 24, 2014, 09:24:53 AM
Quote from: VA $l!m on March 21, 2014, 07:56:43 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 21, 2014, 03:13:17 PM
Quote from: birdman on March 21, 2014, 01:04:27 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 21, 2014, 08:31:22 AM
That was a great night.
I remember seeing you in passing in the hallway pre-show(?).

I had an ear infection at those shows and felt like shit but it was so worth it.
I did  a weekend of shows with a massive ear infection. Spent most of the nights lying on lawn wishing I'd stayed
Home. Not much fun.

Must not have been Grateful Dead!

Eta:
Yeah, I was in for both. Rode out with E in the back seat of his Volvo wagon with a broken passenger side window. My ear did not appreciate the breeze but there was nowhere else I'd have rather been.

i dunno what it was about those shows, but almost everyone i know that went had some weird or sad story to go along with it.
Richfield was a really weird place for a dead show.
i remember the hotel we stayed in we were convinced was run by nazis, and then our entire crew was stuck  for the whole trip smoking a LP of  horrible swag we brought from home... and the dude whos LP it was only smoked blunts so by the time we got home i was sure i had lung cancer.... and then i cant exactly recall but there was some famous dude near us on Vince side by the stage where we were in the vip.
pretty sure it was either bill walton or al gore, lol, but for some reason i think it was some relevant politician for the time.

what weird trip for sure... pretty sure there was alot of rain... that'd explain the Bertha,  and we all got shut out night 1 except my home boy slOMAR that i talked about from the philly show gate busting incident the previous fall--- dude was the KING of getting in shows no matter what.

once we knew there wasnt going to be many tix that 1st night he fucking Bribed a yellow coat security dude for his coat and then just walked in the backstage door, lol--awesome.
-- then since the band had already took the stage he just started sneaking around and going in all the dressing rooms, no lie.
after the show he brought back a ton of random  momentos from Jerrys room including the sign with his name on it and some matches, smokes, guitar picks i think... or somethin :smoke:  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

I remember snow on the ground.
Our motel was one of the worst I've stayed in (aside from post Pittsburgh '95) and it was, like the venue, at no particular place other than the intersection of two big roads.
That was probably one of my more sober runs due to my illness. I didn't want to indulge too heavily for fear that it might make things (seem) worse.

yeah our hotel was super facist.
they had locked off floor that you had to be buzzed into- id never seen security like that for such a po dunk hotel in the early 90s.
and they had cameras everywhere so we were super paranoid.
Richfield was a notoriously conservative area where many many heads ended up serving long sentences from being busted at shows there.

and yeah, i def didnt have any good buzzes that run. im sure if the party favors had been better i might rank the shows much higher on my list of favs.
but once we got the tapes is really when i fell in love with the show i saw. i actually think i didnt enjoy the show all the much at the time.

pcr3

Caught my first Dead show 20 years ago today.  To call it a life-altering experience would be a serious understatement.  :syf:

I have mostly been disappointed upon giving my attended Dead shows a re-listen.  This one so far is not bad.  In fact, it's much better than I was expecting.  I probably haven't listened to it more than twice, most recently probably 15 years ago...

https://archive.org/details/gd94-03-24.naks.ladner.14258.sbeok.shnf
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

VA $l!m

Quote from: pcr3 on March 24, 2014, 02:38:28 PM
Caught my first Dead show 20 years ago today.  To call it a life-altering experience would be a serious understatement.  :syf:

I have mostly been disappointed upon giving my attended Dead shows a re-listen.  This one so far is not bad.  In fact, it's much better than I was expecting.  I probably haven't listened to it more than twice, most recently probably 15 years ago...

https://archive.org/details/gd94-03-24.naks.ladner.14258.sbeok.shnf

nice bro.
one of my top show career regrets was not jumping in my friends car when half of our group headed to NY after Richfield instead of back to Richmond.

ps: its funny you said "life altering" ... sometimes im not sure if people really understand how serious we are when we say that about dead shows. :-D :syf:

twatts

20y anniversary of my first show...

Terry

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mbw

PIE-GUY

I feel like some of us should have posted in the dizzunk thread last night... That was a good night!

Augustus

PIE-GUY

Augustus

justjezmund

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

antelope19

One of the best paug weekends ever!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment