News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R12/W5: 08/06/93 Cincinnati Zoo, Peacock Pav, Cincinnati, OH

Started by justjezmund, July 26, 2011, 05:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aphineday

8.06.93 - Cincinnati Zoo Peacok Pavillion - Cincinnati, OH

Split Open And Melt: Spitting some fire to open the show. Pretty short, but oh so sick.

Poor Heart: High energy, Page killing.

The Curtain: Nice, love it. The With is one of my favorite melodies ever, so I always miss that.

Sample In A Jar: I miss Samples like this. Played very well by Trey, not the big jam vehicle, but still a nice little guitar piece in there.

Rift: I'm a fan, so nice to hear. Relatively flub free.

Horn: Cool...

The Divided Sky: Whole band playing together. Very sweet, slow, deliberate playing going into the pause. The jam was okay, but there are some really filthy Dskys from around this time obviously, so this one kind of falls a little flat in comparison IMO.

Nellie Kane: Always fun!

Chalk Dust Torture: Good for the energy level, like the placement. Solid version, but nothing in my book worth really setting the pen in motion over.

Suzy Greenberg: Send this set out on fire. Had me smiling, and ready for the second set!

Set II

Buried Alive: Wow, nice opener. Disjointed, yet totally together. Like x10!

Tweezer: Wow. I was flying photos while listening to this, and I honestly started dancing. I completely fucked up the flight line I was on, but totally worth it. I wanted to go back in time to be at this show. Love the playing and creativity melodically throughout. Really, really nice Tweezer.

Guelah Papyrus: Okay, sure. Cool choice after the Tweezer.

The Squirming Coil: Wow. I LOVE it when they leave Page out there, and just let him do his thing. Very nice playing.

Uncle Pen: Nice to hear this one played well again.

You Enjoy Myself: Wowzahs. Old school awesomeness. I think this is underrated as Hell. This is definitely getting added to the rotation. From the first notes played, the band is just killing it. I had to switch my music up at this point because I was not nearly as focused as I should be on being productive. It sounds like Mike starts teasing  an 80s/90s TV theme in there around 15:00 or so. Could just be my imagination, but it sounds like Doogie Houser or Golden Girls or something haha. I'm probably just losing my fucking mind. Either way, this YEM is S-I-C-K. The Cocaine jam was awesome as well.

Halley's Comet: Nailed it, and fun version! The "hey's" had me laughing pretty well. This set is h33t.

Slave To The Traffic Light: Sublime. After a long absence, this thing made a reappearance with force. Trey is absolutely lost in his melody here, and it's intoxicating as fuck. I love this band, and I love this song.

Hold Your Head Up > Cracklin' Rosie > Hold Your Head Up: I can't stand HYHU most of the time, but with the epicness of the Rosie here, I'll take it. Also, this set had my head spinning before this, no way it would bring me down.

Tweezer Reprise: Not to send us out?! What's coming for the encore? Oh wait, Summer '93... Nice Tweeprise to end the set though.

Encore:
Amazing Grace: Wow. Thanks, this is up there on the level of "And We Bid You Goodnight" for me. Love, love , love it.

Thanks JJ, HOT show.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

rowjimmy

Nice remix of my memo.

I wish I hated this version because that would be even more funny (to me.)

But I don't.

Set one:

This first set is really very typical-strong '93 Phish. New songs and old are all tight as hell (minus a few little misses here and there) and the energy level is very high. The Melt is good but not out there in any way (cos it's '93. Trey's solo is awesome and I like how Page steps up late in the 'jam'. Divided Sky is the centerpiece here. Bang-on awesome version that peaks like a muthafucker. Beyond that, Chackdust has a little extra mustard on it and then they pass the Tequila round during Suzy.

WhatstheUse?

Must have been so exciting to see them during this summer tour (July/Aug)

What an incredible experience it it had to have been to see this band evolve right in front of your eyes night after night. They were SO ON every night and this show is no different.
Bring in the dude!

G. Augusto

Split - In the rare opener slot. Isn't really mind blowing, but it serves as a statement for the band.

Heart - 1-2.

Curtain - Only version of the Summer. Nice energy. Goes into >>>

Sample - And then Rift. Then Horn. 3 "songs" in a row that do work nicely.

Sky - Mike is pretty busy on this one. Nice tone.

Kane - Of the Nellie variety.

Chalk - Bringin' it back up. Shragin' solo with the whammy bends.

Suzy - The somewhat rare first set closer slot. Tequila teases during Trey's solo. PAGEZILLA!

Buried - I like this as a second set opener. Some screaming during it.

Tweezer - More vocals during the composed sections. The jam gets right to the craziness. Mike drops some balms a la the 08-13 Gin. The band settles in and hits on some nice accents for a bit. Slow moving build up to the peak. Tequila during the outro. Cool version.

Guelah - Moar Tequila teases. Simpsons SL after the Asse.

Coil - Nailed. Playfulness as Page's solo starts.

UPenn - Nimble.

YEM - Classic version right here. One of my Top 10 versions. Spacy nirvana section. Extra heavy. Tequila teases. Jam starts off with a brief Tequila tease then into a Cult of Personality-esque riff which reoccurs throughout the beginning. Some vocal mimicry by Trey. Not sure if Mike is teasing something at the beginning of the DnB section. Trey starts using Cocaine during the DnB. Then everyone starts blowing a ton of Cocaine during the vocal jam. Great version. Vocal jam straight into >>>

Halley's - Energetic version. Quiets down during solo section and then turns into a cool, major key jam which kinda goes into >>>

Slave - First since 10-24-1991. Big bustdown. Wonder why it was shelved for so long? Very killer version. Very peaky and PATIENT.

Rosie - Page starts in the wrong key.

Reprise - Step into it.

Grace - Always odd to me when they only do an a Capella tune to close a show.

First set is a little too "songy" for me, but the second set is the T.
I give this a B+

rowjimmy

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 03, 2011, 09:12:43 AM
Set one:

This first set is really very typical-strong '93 Phish. New songs and old are all tight as hell (minus a few little misses here and there) and the energy level is very high. The Melt is good but not out there in any way (cos it's '93. Trey's solo is awesome and I like how Page steps up late in the 'jam'. Divided Sky is the centerpiece here. Bang-on awesome version that peaks like a muthafucker. Beyond that, Chackdust has a little extra mustard on it and then they pass the Tequila round during Suzy.

I just can't focus enough for a song-by-song of this one...

Not that I dislike it, I just don't have the time when I have the energy and I don't have the energy when I have the time.

But here's the deal:

Set two:

the Tweezer starts with tons of promise but weird vocal shit doesn't lead to an amazing tweezer. Yeah, it's 93 so that's probably why but, either way, I can't help be let down by it. Tequila teases in Guelah aren't as awesome as Tequila shots woulda been. Coil was cool. This YEM is the only reason I didn't blow off the rest of the set. Awesome A+ version.  They tear shit shit up and trade Tequila for cocaine. Shit. It's like a night in Tijuana. Nice Slave and Cracklin' Rosie has been stuck in my head for two weeks now... Thanks.

I'm not hating on this show. They make up for the meh Tweezer with the YEM and set one is cool.

I'm gonna give it an "It's not you, it's me" with the possibility of make-up sex in the future.