News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/05 - The Gorge - George, WA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by mattstick, August 06, 2011, 02:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGrupp

Glad everyone is ok, Hicks.

This rock and roll is pretty sick. The groove they go into in the last minute-ish of the jam is really awesome....
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

redrum

Quote from: McGrupp on August 06, 2011, 11:58:45 PM
The groove they go into in the last minute-ish of the jam is really awesome....

QFMFT

but what's up with R&R being one track & not labeled "Quincy" jam?

u guys already discuss this?
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

Superfreakie

Quote from: redrum on August 07, 2011, 03:17:35 AM
Quote from: McGrupp on August 06, 2011, 11:58:45 PM
The groove they go into in the last minute-ish of the jam is really awesome....

QFMFT

but what's up with R&R being one track & not labeled "Quincy" jam?

u guys already discuss this?

I don't think we have but I'm pretty sure it has to do with royalties because this Rock and Roll went back into the verses at the end of the jam so the entire time playing it is considered R&R. When they don't go back into the song then the jam segment is labelled differently so they only pay royalties for 5 minutes.  .02$
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

redrum

ya, i know about the whole avoiding royalties thing.
i thought that maybe they got caught and they couldnt do it anymore.
..or the stoner employees at LP fucked up yet again.

i forgot trey started singin the words again.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

sunrisevt

I bet that's it--going back to lyrics after the jam.

Hicks, scary stuff. Glad everyone's ok!
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

DoW

Quote from: Undermind on August 07, 2011, 11:09:08 AM
Glad to hear the family is ok Hicks!
also glad you at least caught one of the shows and +k caravan for the ride hookup
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

blatboom

mbw

whoa man.  very glad to hear everyone is fine.

this rock n roll is fucking fantastic.

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Mr Minor

G. Augusto

Hicks! Glad all is well.
Your wife must have really missed you...;)

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: G. Augusto on August 07, 2011, 03:41:33 PM
Hicks! Glad all is well.
Your wife must have really missed you...;)

LOL. Glad everyone is Ok Hicks, that would have had me on edge until I arrived back home!
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

burmesepython

ROCK & FUCKING ROLL! Exploratory jamming to the depths of the dark and nasty sludge. Had to pick up my face off the back of the floor with a fucking spatula. Ritarded.

Thought the Gin brought the energy after they were clearly feeling out the crowd through the first couple cuts. Roggae was as slinky and tasty as I've ever heard it. Long first set... patient playing and listening.

Was hoping for a monster to open set two and kind of had a little air taken out when BDTNL started. Halfway through a fucking shooting/falling star zipped by the top right of the stage... immediately turned to my buddies and four of us all saw the same exact thing... crazy shit that instantly kicked Number Line up a notch for me.

Then. Came. The. Fucking. HEAT! Seriously this Rock & Roll pushed the limits of what music IS. Theremin weirdness... immensely locked in listening from everyone. This jam could have gone so many places... so many little ideas were being thrown out in the jam... felt a Moma groove working... then that seemed to slink into almost a No Quarter type jam... Caravan said he was hearing Sabotage... WTU felt like it was Storage esque... either way it was menacing and Mack-Truck-In-The-Face dirty.

Sweet segue into Meatstick. The train seemed to be led onto the Meatstick track by Mike... again amazing listening going on to get to this point in such a deep deep jam. I always find myself laughing and smiling during Meatstick, which def changed the mood from the open-mouthed get-down under-the-crowd slay fest we had just witnessed.

Boogie On capped one of the more powerful 45-min sections the band has launched into in quite a while.

Then it seemed like they kind of felt like they had already done it... and they had... but going Farmhouse, Show Of Life just seemed really strange to me. Still beautiful, but it really shows that the band is sober. VERY happy about this for the sake of health and longevity, but at times it leads to an un-linking of the chain. In a way it almost felt like they were saying... OK, let's keep our eyes on the prize here and not go so fucking deep the whole set that we have nothing left in the tank for night 2. Honestly by this point I was so fucking blown away by Rock & Roll that having the set end the way it did really didn't bother me.

Turned to my buddy Riley at the encore break and swiftly called Stones... "Shine A Light or Loving Cup... book it." Nice capper to a hot and sweaty Phish show.

Kicked it with Caravan, JPhish, WTU, Hicks and a bunch of non-Paug peeps post show. Was scary there for a bit when I first heard about Hick's wife and newborn's car accident, but felt a lot better when he said he'd talked to her on the phone. Had to go to a really good friends wedding yesterday so Caravan brought Hicks back to the camp early style so I could give me a ride back to Portland and he could put his mind at ease. In classic Gorge fashion (for me) I'd run my battery fully dead from blasting tunes. Pull out Caravan's jumpers and in my barley-slept-still-kind-of-spun mindset put the cables on wrong and shorted the first set. After a bit of head scratching this nice dude in an oversized pick-up pulled forward and pretty much just took the reigns and made the ship happen. With brain on the mend and car running we made it back to P-Town just in time to get Hicks home, my other friends to the wedding they needed to get to... and after the shortest post-Gorge shower I've ever taken I made my buddies wedding with about 8 minutes to spare... fucking whirlwind.

SO FUCKING STOKED FOR HOLLYWOOD AND TAHOE!

mistercharlie

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on August 07, 2011, 03:23:14 PM
this rock n roll is fucking fantastic.

When Mike started dropping the funky bassline around 11 minutes in I just started dancing in my car. Then I was blown away in the last few minutes, that jam is far better than any 3.0 so far.  Great segue into Meatstick also..
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.