News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/06 - The Gorge - George, WA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Superfreakie, August 07, 2011, 02:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Natural

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAM1MKi7bNU&ob=av2e

I might be dating myself here, but back in the late '80s / early '90s there was a band that played reggae versions of Led Zeppelin songs, with an Elvis-impersonator lead singer. They were called Dread Zeppelin. When I heard that Heartbreaker tease at the end of WOLFMAN'S, and the band was in a sort of reggae space, I wanted to bust out laughing. It sounded so much like DZ's version of HEARTBREAKER HOTEL. Did anyone else catch that? Omg, it was hilarious. 
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

barnesy305

Quote from: Mr. Natural on August 15, 2011, 07:04:43 PM

I might be dating myself here, but back in the late '80s / early '90s there was a band that played reggae versions of Led Zeppelin songs, with an Elvis-impersonator lead singer. They were called Dread Zeppelin. When I heard that Heartbreaker tease at the end of WOLFMAN'S, and the band was in a sort of reggae space, I wanted to bust out laughing. It sounded so much like DZ's version of HEARTBREAKER HOTEL. Did anyone else catch that? Omg, it was hilarious.

A dude at work plays Dread Zeppelin every Friday, Tortelvis is his name, I believe.

cactusfan

Quote from: thatfargone on August 09, 2011, 09:02:52 PM
I just don't get it anymore.  We went because we just got settled in somewhat at the new house and figured it would be pretty stupid to miss even a bad show at the Gorge since we had never made it before.

Wolfman's was good but am I the only one that has had enough of Zeppelin???  Rover, 10-30, No Quarter, Heartbreaker...ugh.

Granted Reba>Lope was fun, but again...teases just seem like lazy fan service at this point.

Oh and the lawn was a graveyard....the sides were empty and many people were laying or sitting all night.  Many disinterested people around.  I know this is the laid back west coast but still, very, very quiet crowd except for up front. 

totally. it'd be like if, say, they picked some annoying song like Guyute and just teased it over and over all night long and then everyone went all nuts at how it was the best show of all time because of that.

ahem.

anyway, this show is hot. i'm liking the whole second set, into the antelope now, which is great.

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

thatfargone

Quote from: cactusfan on August 16, 2011, 04:25:46 PM
I just don't get it anymore.  We went because we just got settled in somewhat at the new house and figured it would be pretty stupid to miss even a bad show at the Gorge since we had never made it before.

Wolfman's was good but am I the only one that has had enough of Zeppelin???  Rover, 10-30, No Quarter, Heartbreaker...ugh.

Granted Reba>Lope was fun, but again...teases just seem like lazy fan service at this point.

Oh and the lawn was a graveyard....the sides were empty and many people were laying or sitting all night.  Many disinterested people around.  I know this is the laid back west coast but still, very, very quiet crowd except for up front. 

totally. it'd be like if, say, they picked some annoying song like Guyute and just teased it over and over all night long and then everyone went all nuts at how it was the best show of all time because of that.

ahem.

anyway, this show is hot. i'm liking the whole second set, into the antelope now, which is great.

Ha, touche...however, I still think Utica was best show back.  And, to be fair...they did Guyute teases at one show...how many shows can be highlighted by a Zep tease or cover...just a few more than....1. :wink:
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

mistercharlie

I loved the album Un-Dreded, i still listen to it every now and then.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

cactusfan

Quote from: thatfargone on August 16, 2011, 06:11:20 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on August 16, 2011, 04:25:46 PM

ahem.

Ha, touche...however, I still think Utica was best show back.  And, to be fair...they did Guyute teases at one show...how many shows can be highlighted by a Zep tease or cover...just a few more than....1. :wink:

if the only moment in this show that stood out to you was the zep tease, you need to stop going to phish shows.

sls.stormyrider

late to the party - liked the show.
yea - a little frustrated that they didn't explore the jam at the end of Tweezer, but...
Great Sand and Antelope, like everyone said. Also, liked the instrumental section in Caspian
Not a knock on Trey, but I just love what Page and Mike are doing. What they are playing is very good, and interesting imo. although they do seem to be staying within the framework of the song and avoiding type 17 jamming.
still, liked the show - would have been psyched to have been there.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

susep

Quote from: slslbs on August 16, 2011, 10:31:14 PM
yea - a little frustrated that they didn't explore the jam at the end of Tweezer, but...
Great Sand and Antelope, like everyone said. Also, liked the instrumental section in Caspian
Not a knock on Trey, but I just love what Page and Mike are doing. What they are playing is very good, and interesting imo. although they do seem to be staying within the framework of the song and avoiding type 17 jamming.

you are never too late hawse, you are the proverbial Switzerland of the 'paug, go Steve!   :beers:

Mr. Natural

Quote from: barnesy305 on August 15, 2011, 08:02:38 PM

A dude at work plays Dread Zeppelin every Friday, Tortelvis is his name, I believe.

Yes! Tortelvis.
nice!
(If I knew how to give karma points, I would totally give you one for that.)
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: susep on August 16, 2011, 11:12:45 PM
Quote from: slslbs on August 16, 2011, 10:31:14 PM

you are never too late hawse, you are the proverbial Switzerland of the 'paug, go Steve!   :beers:
LOL - not the 1st time I've been called that.
thanks
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

barnesy305

Quote from: Mr. Natural on August 18, 2011, 01:21:02 PM
Quote from: barnesy305 on August 15, 2011, 08:02:38 PM

Yes! Tortelvis.
nice!
(If I knew how to give karma points, I would totally give you one for that.)

I think you have to have a certain number of posts to give karma but I'm not sweating it. I will say that your avatar is badass though, Greg Ginn rules!

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

zackonthetrain

anyone catch the band postshow about 1am in the camping lot near shakedown? i caught them playing after midnite for about 15 mins, they had a girl frontwoman and were pretty good

"have u seen this, have u heard about this" haha
"a good sauce can't save a bad noodle"