News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rick Perry

Started by VDB, August 16, 2011, 09:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Quote from: ytowndan on October 29, 2011, 01:00:30 AM
Rick Perry: The Best Little Whore In Texas
The Texas governor has one driving passion: selling off government to the highest bidder

By Matt Taibbi

(it's way too long to copy/paste in here, but it's a great read)

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/rick-perry-the-best-little-whore-in-texas-20111026

Good read, thanks. I thought about emailing this to a friend of mine, a staunch conservative (albeit not religious) who is also, by his upbringing, reflexively gaga for anything Texas, but he would probably just come back with some lazy crack at Obama or hippies. This is a guy who is now coming around to criticizing W. Bush (now that he's safely out of office and not accountable) but only in the context of arguing how much worse Obama is.

I guess my point here is, think of how many people could read an article like this about a politician they'd already decided they're inclined to like, and just not give a fuck.
Is this still Wombat?

aphineday

The Texas governor has one driving passion: selling off government to the highest bidder

By Matt Taibbi

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/rick-perry-the-best-little-whore-in-texas-20111026

Taibi is one of my favorite authors, he is incredibly accurate, and his stuff is always fun to read. I'm not done reading this article, but what I have read is typical Taibi. The title alone is ballsy as fuck, and I love that fact that he went for it. People need to know what a backwards fuck this cat is.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

Hicks

The question on my mind is who does better against Obama in the general election.

The more I think about it the more it seems it doesn't even matter who the Republicans pick, because basically it comes down to how many people out there who would vote against Obama regardless of who he is running against.  In order for Obama to win their numbers have to be small and I'm not sure that's the case. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

runawayjimbo

That's the kind of Taibbi I enjoy: fact based, investigative reporting (rather than speculative, unsubstantiated hearsay) and laced with classic Taibbisms. Some of my favorites below.

I think he missed the point on the Tea Party, though, in that if they are really willing to support a guy like that they are not the principled movement they claim to be but just a rebranded sect of the GOP. So on the plus side, if he does go on to win the nomination, I think they lose whatever credibility they had.

I agree with Hicks, though, that it doesn't really matter whether it's Perry or Romney because in the end this election will be a referendum on Obama. And with unemployment around 9%, there are going to be a lot of people taking the "throw the bums out" approach.

In 1998, Perry was elected lieutenant governor alongside George W. Bush, serving with the kind of distinction that made his boss look like Winston Churchill.

In fact, his entire career is a profound testament to our nagging collective inability, or perhaps unwillingness, to distinguish between what a politician says and what he actually does.

And of course,

Then he waves and walks offstage. The whole thing has taken barely 10 minutes.

I can't believe it, and neither can the assembled crowd of Georgia conservatives, who hesitate before breaking into polite applause. I feel like a high school cheerleader who just had her leg jizzed on in the back of a convertible.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

gah

Quote from: aphineday on October 30, 2011, 02:43:00 PM

By Matt Taibbi

Taibi is one of my favorite authors, he is incredibly accurate, and his stuff is always fun to read. I'm not done reading this article, but what I have read is typical Taibi. The title alone is ballsy as fuck, and I love that fact that he went for it. People need to know what a backwards fuck this cat is.

Yeah, I just finished Griftopia. Def a Taibbi convert.

Quote from: Hicks on October 30, 2011, 08:32:31 PM
The question on my mind is who does better against Obama in the general election.

The more I think about it the more it seems it doesn't even matter who the Republicans pick, because basically it comes down to how many people out there who would vote against Obama regardless of who he is running against.  In order for Obama to win their numbers have to be small and I'm not sure that's the case. 

So you don't believe he'll be re-elected? I don't see anyone on the GOP side that would be a legitimate candidate other than Romney. Anyone else, and Obama wins another 4 years (which he deserves in my opinion).
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

rowjimmy

I see this thread and I read the subject as above...

Hicks

Quote from: goodabouthood on October 31, 2011, 11:07:29 AM
Quote from: aphineday on October 30, 2011, 02:43:00 PM

By Matt Taibbi

Yeah, I just finished Griftopia. Def a Taibbi convert.

Quote from: Hicks on October 30, 2011, 08:32:31 PM

So you don't believe he'll be re-elected? I don't see anyone on the GOP side that would be a legitimate candidate other than Romney. Anyone else, and Obama wins another 4 years (which he deserves in my opinion).

No I'm not saying I don't believe he will win, I am just saying that whether or not he is re-elected hinges upon how big of a chunk of the electorate will vote against him no matter what.

How big that faction is I really don't know, but it seems like there may be enough of them to sway the election toward whomever ends up being the Republican nominee.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Anything is possible. Never overestimate the American voter.
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

He's gone from scary to creepy

gah

I think he took too many xanax....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

runawayjimbo

During a seemingly innocuous question about how a Republican president should work with Democrats, Perry somehow stumbled into the regulatory climate and the 3 federal agencies he would eliminate. The 3 agencies are (strap in, kids):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6an4zSj8LhU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Superfreakie

What a complete fucktard. I'm Canadian and I bet I'd be able to bury his ass on any American civics exam, let alone any other subject. What I can't believe is that the presidency is ripe for the taking and yet the Republicans are only capable of fielding a jelly malleable flip flopper or a bunch of clowns from the looney tune freak show. It boggles my mind. If I was a Republican, I'd be furious at this farce. Then again, none of these people would actually "run" the country if they found themselves in charge. Enter from stage right, "the shadow cabinet".   :banana:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

twatts

Quote from: Superfreakie on November 09, 2011, 11:36:40 PM
What a complete fucktard. I'm Canadian and I bet I'd be able to bury his ass on any American civics exam, let alone any other subject. What I can't believe is that the presidency is ripe for the taking and yet the Republicans are only capable of fielding a jelly malleable flip flopper or a bunch of clowns from the looney tune freak show. It boggles my mind. If I was a Republican, I'd be furious at this farce. Then again, none of these people would actually "run" the country if they found themselves in charge. Enter from stage right, "the shadow cabinet".   :banana:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

rowjimmy

VDB

Quote from: Superfreakie on November 09, 2011, 11:36:40 PM

It is both baffling and entirely understandable at the same time.

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on October 31, 2011, 01:45:38 PM
Never overestimate the American voter.
Is this still Wombat?