News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Lotus Summer 2011/Spring 2012 Tour

Started by ph92, August 18, 2011, 08:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ph92

Quote from: bvaz on August 19, 2011, 10:43:59 PM
ph92, at moe.down, I literally had to wrap a guy up and almost take him down because he was sprinting and almost took down 12 stands.
their crowd steers the tapers away.  send me a bodyguard so I can go get a beer every so often.  I don't trust their fan base around my stuff.
I also dont think the fan base understands how people like you is how they hear their shows... oh well though :D I do and I wanna hear the tape later... :-D
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

ph92

I never came back and chimed in about summerdance.

HOL-EE FUUUUCK

That was one of the best musical experiences ive had. I definitely think lotus is near their prime, maybe a few more years and they will be better than ever.

Now upon arriving to the fest I hadnt listened to a lot of lotus in a half year or so. So a bunch of the songs in the first and second sets were new to me, but I like most all of the new ones. Sick little groove they had was Plan your root through Shimmer>flower sermon>Shimmer. Second set my highlight was the Kraftwerk cover>Spiritualize

The second day I dont have much recollection, lysergic blackouts abound! But I do remember Jump Off>Zelda Theme>Jump Off being one of the craziest musical moments ever, mainly cause zelda is one of my favorite games for sure.

I do vaguely remember Suitcases, Nematode, Wax and Umblilical Moonrise as these are some favorites of mine.

Lotus was grooving hard all weekend. I dont know if I have every seen such a intense ratio of spun as fuck people to sober people (probably around 10:1) The vibe was amazing and I had a shit ton of fun, I suggest if you are in the area to make it next year

Friday:
Bellwether
The Surf
Simian
Malabarista
Turquoise
Plant Your Root>
Shimmer and Out>
Flower Sermon > Shimmer and Out
———————–
Blacklight Sunflare
Lou Carcohl
Livingston Storm
Spaghetti >
Harps
Kesey Seed
Computer Love (Kraftwerk cover) >
Spiritualize
———————
E: Invincibility of Youth

Saturday:
Hammerstrike
L'immeuble
Disappear in a Blood-Red Sky
Travel >
Suitcases
Flim (Aphex Twin cover)
Lead Pipe >
———————–
Bush Pilot
Blue Giant
Nematode
Cutinuo
Wax
A 3-Legged Workhorse (This Will Destroy You cover)
Jump Off >
Zelda >
Jump Off
—————————
E: Umbilical Moonrise
Make America Melt Again!

McGrupp

Glad you had fun

I liked lotus a lot back in 07-08. I saw a bunch of shows and thought they were going to absolutely blow up "the scene" back then (this was before phish announced they were getting back together).

I just kinda lost interest, though. I started noticing their fanbase becoming more and more high-schooly and young... seeing kids get busted for drinking underage and shows is kind of a drag...

And I believe one of the original 5 members left the band at some point in 09, and although I didn't see any shows in 09 (and haven't seen any since 08), a lot of my friends who have seen them have said their sound is a lot more crunchy/rock-esque as opposed to their original light/fluttery dancey stuff (which I liked a lot).

Maybe I'll go see them again. It's cool they're still around - I've met Mike (lead guitarist) a number of times and one of my friends dated him for a year or so. All very down to earth and cool guys.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

ph92

Quote from: McGrupp on September 12, 2011, 06:55:00 PM
Glad you had fun

I liked lotus a lot back in 07-08. I saw a bunch of shows and thought they were going to absolutely blow up "the scene" back then (this was before phish announced they were getting back together).

I just kinda lost interest, though. I started noticing their fanbase becoming more and more high-schooly and young... seeing kids get busted for drinking underage and shows is kind of a drag...

And I believe one of the original 5 members left the band at some point in 09, and although I didn't see any shows in 09 (and haven't seen any since 08), a lot of my friends who have seen them have said their sound is a lot more crunchy/rock-esque as opposed to their original light/fluttery dancey stuff (which I liked a lot).

Maybe I'll go see them again. It's cool they're still around - I've met Mike (lead guitarist) a number of times and one of my friends dated him for a year or so. All very down to earth and cool guys.
Yeah they are as you said a little more crunchy, they are starting to add a little wobble, but it sounds good with what they are doing. And that floaty style still exists its just they play their newer songs alot more (the heavier ones). But yeah the scene is kinda annoying sometimes, but summerdance is 18+ w/o a parent so that keeps that on lock a little bit. But then again, I dont really care so much about the scene, I'm there for the music :-). And I have come to grips with the fact that alot of electronic music has shady/annoying scenes, I just kinda ignore it. I met alot of lotus family people and they are super super awesome, but they are the like the old school lotus fans.

They played a bunch of old school stuff the second night, and I am like you I like the chill stuff way better. So they still have it in them, just their new direction is the more heavy/untzy type stuff. But then again I kinda dig that sound...

I would definitely suggest listening to these 2 shows, lotta good playing. The vibe at the ledges is amazing, lake and beach right next to the stage, no clouds in sight all weekend. It was around 70 too, perfect! Not to mention alot of really chill people.
Make America Melt Again!

McGrupp

Quote from: phishhead92 on September 12, 2011, 07:07:07 PM
Glad you had fun

Yeah they are as you said a little more crunchy, they are starting to add a little wobble, but it sounds good with what they are doing. And that floaty style still exists its just they play their newer songs alot more (the heavier ones). But yeah the scene is kinda annoying sometimes, but summerdance is 18+ w/o a parent so that keeps that on lock a little bit. But then again, I dont really care so much about the scene, I'm there for the music :-). And I have come to grips with the fact that alot of electronic music has shady/annoying scenes, I just kinda ignore it. I met alot of lotus family people and they are super super awesome, but they are the like the old school lotus fans.

They played a bunch of old school stuff the second night, and I am like you I like the chill stuff way better. So they still have it in them, just their new direction is the more heavy/untzy type stuff. But then again I kinda dig that sound...

I would definitely suggest listening to these 2 shows, lotta good playing. The vibe at the ledges is amazing, lake and beach right next to the stage, no clouds in sight all weekend. It was around 70 too, perfect! Not to mention alot of really chill people.

Sounds fun. I always wanted to go to summerdance back a few years ago, just never ended up making it out.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

ph92

Quote from: McGrupp on September 12, 2011, 07:17:28 PM
Quote from: phishhead92 on September 12, 2011, 07:07:07 PM
Glad you had fun

Sounds fun. I always wanted to go to summerdance back a few years ago, just never ended up making it out.
Next year man! :-D We can save you a spot I'm sure ha.
Make America Melt Again!

ph92

I also totally forgot they covered an aphex twin song, I was pretty amazed on how well they played it, the drum part is pretty fucking insane and he nailed it.
Make America Melt Again!