News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/04 - Blossom Music Ctr - Cuyahoga Falls, OH - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Undermind, June 04, 2011, 11:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

alcoholandcoffeebeans

i'm in.

my mom starts watching over my shoulder and asks if i'm watching videos from the future... i looked at her puzzled.

she said that my wedding more than likely would go off like that... i'm alright that she thinks that, and that she still has delusions of grandeur about me getting married....  :roll:
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

ph92

Quote from: Undermind on June 05, 2011, 09:16:19 AM
Plinko Sally =   :banana:
I was just grooving that as I drove around :-D

Also I really dig the birds, some nice tension building near the end. Also I really dig this 15 second section from like 5:50 on. Its this little optimistic sounding riff
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

rowjimmy

2011-06-06 Blossom

2011 was during my hiatus  that stretched from Summer '10 -> Hampton '13. I listened to shows but only selectively and mostly highlights at that.

KDF - strong rock opener. Not special but not bad

Guyute - 1st of 6 in '11. Only 5x since '11. The rust is a bit thick as it gets going. But they pull it together and mostly it comes of well as a strong statement for early in a first set.

FYF - short weird and sweet. But then it drops right >

Foam - not bad. Great paired with FYF

Ocelot - slow down after the relatively frenetic Foam but it picks up and Trey gets good and rockin' before it's done.

Rocket In My Pocket - probably caught a few off guard. Only the second version of this. It's cool but I can feel why it didn't come back.

GBOTT - strong bouncy version rolls almost straight into

Guelah - cool dubby echo breaks from trey in the intro (0:28) then some loops that I'd call a-typical. The schoeps tubes source reveals a stunning degree of echo during The Asse Festival segment (Go Page!) which is followed by a nice long pause before reprising Guelah proper. Solid.

Tube - standard length (sorry fans of epic Tubes. Those are NOT standard).  Trey shout-out, "Page's House" intros the funky clav solo. Page proceeds to tear it up and his sologoes just long enough to make optimists wonder if maybe this would be the one where they stretch it out again but... Nope. Weird delay loop(?) business after Tube and before

Antelope - ripping intro jam. I lost count of gears but Trey shifts up a few before the Marco Equandolas fun. Clearly they are pumped and having a good time. Light solo? 

Good set one. Clearly they were feeling ready to get busy with the early Guyute and, after some early missteps in that song, things really got going. When they roll into Guelah, Trey is obviously feeling confident and Page is completely on fire. Trey's shit eating grin is audible on the audience tapes in Antelope. That certainly leaves me looking forward to set two as it no doubt did for the folks at Blossom that night.

emay

Was at this show, and it was def better than the year before.

Nice write up. 2nd set gets a little juicer I remember really diggin the 2nd set.
We booked it to Cinci right after the show. Great times.

rowjimmy

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on March 12, 2015, 11:15:18 AM
Was at this show, and it was def better than the year before.

Nice write up. 2nd set gets a little juicer I remember really diggin the 2nd set.
We booked it to Cinci right after the show. Great times.

Second set of the show is in next week's podcast. I'll add my notes for that next week.

rowjimmy

Set Two

Birds - not long but Trey definitely goes in some interesting directions with a few of his runs in there. Sadly, they tie it up after only seven mins.

Possum - weird placement. Structured like a standard version but Trey starts bending his notes downward and then the band starts following him into tempo breakdowns that could seriously mess with an impaired mind. Very melty. That it continues into the lyrical reprise section is doubly trippy. Love this very unique version. I suspect the oddness is directly connected to what was to follow:

Steam - speaking of melting... Or is that transpiration? Whatever. First Time Played. Fully conceived except for jam potential at its debut, complete with that weird hissing sound effect. I think I was not a big fan of his when I first heard it but I've long since come around. Such solid Trey soloing... I don't know what was wrong with me not liking this. Then is dissolves into

Piper - extended intros are soooo 1.0. But trippy outros sure are nice.  This one covers the core ground and then Trey goes into some head-down noodly space bouncing off of Mike and Page as Fish keeps the ship upright. Only a few minutes of this, though, before woah >

Lizards - page is, of course, flawless here. Trey steps up for his solo and lays an excellent reading as well

Sally - if Lizards was for the spinners, this was for the cow funk dancers. Nice little vocal jam break then back into the groove. Manteca/Cissy Strut/NOLA rhythms for a bit then it takes another turn as Mike gets to pounding out a heavy groove. This is Type II territory. Trey dirties up his tone to go along with. Almost Metal-Phish for a moment there. Some of this is echoed in the Storage Jam, iirc. Then it slide into formless waves of noise loops without rhythm for nearly a minute before Fishman signals the intro to

Hood - lovely. Flows well. Gets into the quieter part of the jam before flowing nicely >

Have Mercy - 13th performance. Last Have Mercy/Hood pairing was the Sculpture Room at Goddard on Halloween '86. Let that shit sink in a moment. This a very charming couple of minutes  it comes off as very sincere. No fooling around here. And then, as quickly as it appeared it's gone and back >

Hood - but while the band plays Hood, Trey plays the Have Mercy melody line for a bit. Then he does a bit of Lizards before going at the Hood closing build. Good build and peak but instead of blowing the roof off with the peak and closing with a final "You Can Feel Good!" they drop into

Zero - guess the curfew wasn't quite nigh. Still time for some rawk. Smoke On The Water tease and then more melty, tempo drag like in Possum.

E:
Slave - standard-awesome version. Not the best peak/finish you'll hear but not bad at all. Apt closer for a fun show.

This show kind of has it all. Rawk jams, interesting type II (though limited) action, funny business (FYF, Possum), cow funk, blissful peak jamming, and a solid bustdown (kickdown/bustout). The band is having a great time and playing well and it's hard as a listener not to pick up on and enjoy that.