News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Grado Cans

Started by aphineday, September 21, 2011, 10:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

There are plenty of good headphones out there but I only ever recommend Grados.

Buy what your budget will allow and you'll likely be happy.

tet

Yeah I'm very partial to my Grados as well.  There are other great ones out there for sure, but as I listen at home, the open-backed design is never a problem, and I just love the quality and clarity - and I only have the SR125!  I've listened to a pair of RS1's and seriously enjoyed that as well. 

These bigger cups are definitely something I've thought about for a while but never pulled the trigger on.  I am a little worried about changing the sound dynamics but am tempted to try them out.  As I wear glasses, having cups ON the ear tends to press down a bit on the frame behind my ear so they do get uncomfortable after a very extended listening session (2+ hours).  Maybe the larger cups would help, or maybe make it worse... anyone with glasses have some experience with those?
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

nab

I actually achieved slightly better low end dynamics by flipping the stock ear pads around and attaching them backwards.  It's not a night and day difference by any stretch, but it does back the phones a bit further from your ears.  They attach just fine that way and stay on as well as the direction they were shipped, though I guess it depends on what the condition of your pads is.   

aphineday

Quote from: nab on February 21, 2014, 12:11:48 PM
I actually achieved slightly better low end dynamics by flipping the stock ear pads around and attaching them backwards.  It's not a night and day difference by any stretch, but it does back the phones a bit further from your ears.  They attach just fine that way and stay on as well as the direction they were shipped, though I guess it depends on what the condition of your pads is.   
Interesting, may have to check that out.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

PIE-GUY

So, I have the Grado SR125i. I added the G-Cush circumaural pads and the padded headband cover... and I still find the things damn uncomfortable for listening longer than about an hour. Honestly, I just took a trip to Israel and spent 20 or so hours each way with my Westone custom-molded monitors in my ears without ever experiencing any discomfort. They sound amazing, too. So, I'm frustrated with the Grado's.

Anyone want them? I've got about $200 or so invested in them at this point and I don't really want them any more. I'd be willing to cut a pretty good deal, I suppose.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

aphineday

Okay, so thinking of grabbing some good in-ear monitors.
Looking at the Grado GR10s.
Any experience to speak of? Better options?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: aphineday on September 02, 2014, 07:42:32 PM
Okay, so thinking of grabbing some good in-ear monitors.
Looking at the Grado GR10s.
Any experience to speak of? Better options?

I use these - http://www.westoneaudio.com/index.php/products/custom-series/cr10.html

Gotta go to an audiologist for molds, but totally worth it.

Also, I still have some Grado Cans to sell... anyone interested?

aphineday

Thanks, I'll check that out.
Comfortable, and sound is pretty good?
I've already started reading reviews (which are great), I just thought I'd ask you as well.

Caravan2001

I have these: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.html

They sound great but busted after 6 months.  Sending them back now.  Pretty bummed after dropping $300 on ear buds.  Amazing soundstage but not huge bass.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: aphineday on September 02, 2014, 09:23:41 PM
Thanks, I'll check that out.
Comfortable, and sound is pretty good?
I've already started reading reviews (which are great), I just thought I'd ask you as well.

If they aren't comfortable (which mine weren't at first) the audiologist helping you will send them back for adjustments. I used mine on 8+ hour flights to and from Israel with no discomfort at all.

As for sound, these are the most basic version of what professional musicians use for onstage monitors. The difference is these have a single driver... the pros will have several drivers. The ES60's have six drivers, for instance. So, they're not audiophile incredible, but they are really really good. Plus the custom fit blocks out all outside sound so even on a plane you don't have to listen very loudly and the sound is crystal clear. I'm looking forward to pairing them with my Pono player soon. Gonna sound amazing!!

One thing to consider: the CR10's that I have are the only custom monitors Westone makes that are NOT designed to have the cord loop over your ear and then meet behind your head. They have a more traditional cord that comes straight down to meet in front of you. That's big for me since I primarily use them on a plane.

aphineday

Thanks, guys! All really solid suggestions! I'm in the process of reading reviews, and will make a decision soon.
I also have a Pono coming soon, and want something great to pair with it!

barnesy305

I just checked and an audiologist is literally right across the street from my house. You have me seriously considering those Westones PG.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: barnesy305 on September 02, 2014, 10:22:00 PM
I just checked and an audiologist is literally right across the street from my house. You have me seriously considering those Westones PG.

If you do it, get some one these babies, too:  http://www.westoneaudio.com/index.php/products/hearing-protection/es49-custom-hearing-protection.html

They can make them from the same molds you have made for the monitors. I think they're less than $100 and I swear by them. I use them for literally every show I go to including phish.

Buffalo Budd

Any opinions on Bose headphones? In particular, these ones?

http://www.cnet.com/products/bose-oe/
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on October 13, 2014, 11:11:04 PM

Any opinions on Bose headphones? In particular, these ones?

http://www.cnet.com/products/bose-oe/

Don't get Bose. They are horrendously overpriced.