News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Dopapod

Started by DoW, September 28, 2011, 08:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Couple full sets from the recent Asheville shows (keep an eye out for the back of my head!) on mkdevo's YouTube page.
Is this still Wombat?

Undermind

Was at this show last weekend and lost my shit.. so good!

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

VDB

The Sinclair is quickly turning into a must-see run for them.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Quote from: Undermind on May 07, 2016, 11:22:25 PM
Was at this show last weekend and lost my shit.. so good!

That one's a "keeper" for sure!

I've also been watching some of his other videos from this run. The Weird Charlie, French Bowling and Sonic from night one, set two are all extremely top shelf.

Is this still Wombat?

WhatstheUse?

still super up and down with this band.

When The Jauntee opened for them in Denver, It just didn't do it for me. Super talented group of guys, but I just wasn't about their overall sound. They didn't "jam" really.

I feel like I keep going back and fourth

That Trapper Keeper jam fucking ROCKED though. True, unadulterated improvisation! That's what I'm looking for! Have they done anything like that since last year's Echos jam at the Sinclair? I distinctly remember praising that jam, and this one seemed similar in its spaciness.

Those actual 'improve' sets/songs just seem so far from the norm to me....

Bring in the dude!

VDB

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on May 10, 2016, 10:31:14 PM
That Trapper Keeper jam fucking ROCKED though. True, unadulterated improvisation! That's what I'm looking for! Have they done anything like that since last year's Echos jam at the Sinclair? I distinctly remember praising that jam, and this one seemed similar in its spaciness.

Those actual 'improve' sets/songs just seem so far from the norm to me....

I think the latter-day Sinclair jams have seemed exceptional because there's been a little extra intent behind them. I read or heard an interview with one of the guys recently, who said that there's a comfort factor with that home-town venue/crowd that allows them to stretch out a little more. Maybe he was specifically talking about playing Echoes for an hour; but I also inferred that there could be a greater tendency to jam a little harder in that environment, perhaps intentionally, than there would be on a random Wednesday at a bar in Charlotte, say. Furthermore, their style just plain tends to be less spacey and more groove-focused, the majority of the time. And that can influence how jams unfold and/or are perceived.

Still, I feel I hear quality jamming in just about any show I listen to. They're also great at packing a lot into a short length of time. And it's gotten easier for me to discern as I've listened to them more and more; as a lot of their music is instrumental anyway, it's not always immediately obvious where the song stops and the jam begins.

In the 4/28 video above, both the French Bowling and the Sonic break down nicely and reform beautifully on the other side. The Charlie opener is a great jam, but in more of a tease/jam-fest kinda way, borrowing from established progressions. Nerds from the following night is super.

One show I point to often as being among their jammiest, pound for pound, is 2/25/15 from State College, PA. Weird Charlie, Onionhead, Bats in the Cave, Vol. 3 #86 and New James all have strong jamming, with 386 being my personal highlight of that show.

The Charlie from Aura 2015 is notably manic.

The 4/25/15 Trapper Keeper is certainly out there, complete with vocal scatting and animal-noise samples.

You might enjoy the Phish teases in parts of both 9/24 and 9/25/15.

The 8/15/15 French Bowling goes places.

So that's just a small handful to start with. Some other choice jams are behind their Bandcamp paywall. We could also crowdsource this on the Dopapod FB group if you really wanted to.
Is this still Wombat?

WhatstheUse?

thanks a bunch for the rec's -- I'll check these out.  :beers:

ETA: Listening to that Aura one now, they are definitely jamming hard!
Bring in the dude!

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

Undermind

Quote from: VDB on June 06, 2016, 09:45:40 PM
Nicely jammed Turnin' Knobs from Summercamp recently:

http://music.dopapod.com/album/2016-05-29-summercamp-music-festival-chillicothe-il

Good stuff for sure!

good jamming in this vol 3 #86 from Richmond last week...

http://music.dopapod.com/track/vol-3-86-72

and this show is the bomb!

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

VDB

Also, the Off The Cuff from 6/17 is really great.
Is this still Wombat?

WhatstheUse?

I made it to the after-party last night in @ Surf Club in St. Paul. Fun times!

All four of them are talented as hell.  They've got their thing going on for sure.  They actually jam a bit. which.... who else does that?

Luke is absolutely kiiiilling it on the lights and overall production. Top notch stuff as far as production goes, imo. 

Bring in the dude!

VDB

Yep, with a good venue and proper space to set up their production, it's astounding. I love it.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

By the way, Scotty, did your mom go too?
Is this still Wombat?

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: VDB on June 25, 2016, 10:18:32 AM
By the way, Scotty, did your mom go too?

She didn't make the after party haha
Bring in the dude!

Lifeboy

So, I've REALLY been digging these guys lately, and have knocked out 3 shows this weekend on the iPod.

I know I've asked before for recs (and I listened to them all), but does anyone have any more? I have a TON of their shows on my external HD. I just don't know where to go next.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke: