News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Round 13: "The Worst of..."

Started by G. Augusto, October 04, 2011, 03:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

It's hard keeping people's interest in normal show club rounds.  A good handful of people stop reviewing others' picks toward the end.

Perhaps you're on to something, Aug.  Maybe, a full round of HATE will keep the interest throughout!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Lifeboy

Quote from: ytowndan on October 04, 2011, 06:52:22 PM
It's hard keeping people's interest in normal show club rounds.  A good handful of people stop reviewing others' picks toward the end.

Perhaps you're on to something, Aug.  Maybe, a full round of HATE will keep the interest throughout!  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

yeah, I'm really interested in what shows are picked, and what people have to say about them.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

danje

Quote from: sophist on October 04, 2011, 06:05:25 PM
Quote from: Lifeboy on October 04, 2011, 05:52:57 PM
So this round is pretty much reviews of 2 and 3.0 shows?

I've never really thought of what 1.0 shows are regarded as "bad"

Curious to see what shows are picked.
Raleigh '99 comes to mind.  12/16/99

Thursday, 12/16/1999
Reynolds Coliseum, Raleigh, NC
Set 1: Wilson > Chalk Dust Torture, Lawn Boy, Limb By Limb, Horn, Back on the Train, Roggae, Heavy Things, Camel Walk, Possum
Set 2: Sand, The Mango Song, Wading in the Velvet Sea[1] > Tweezer > Runaway Jim
Encore: Bittersweet Motel > Tweezer Reprise
[1] Ended with a short, spacey delay loop jam.
Notes: Before the show, Mike brought a big shaggy doll on the stage and sat it on top of his bass cabinet. Velvet Sea ended with a short, spacey delay loop jam.

Really? That 2nd set is sick.

McGrupp

Quote from: danje on October 04, 2011, 06:56:44 PM

Thursday, 12/16/1999
Set 1: Wilson > Chalk Dust Torture, Lawn Boy, Limb By Limb, Horn, Back on the Train, Roggae, Heavy Things, Camel Walk, Possum
Set 2: Sand, The Mango Song, Wading in the Velvet Sea[1] > Tweezer > Runaway Jim
Notes: Before the show, Mike brought a big shaggy doll on the stage and sat it on top of his bass cabinet. Velvet Sea ended with a short, spacey delay loop jam.

One of my fav tweezers.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

McGrupp

Sign me up for this btw. Unlucky round #13....13 members... bad shows... I like it.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

barnesy305

I'm sure Hampton 04 and that Amsterdam show from 96 will make it on the list.

Lifeboy

Quote from: McGrupp on October 04, 2011, 06:58:18 PM

Thursday, 12/16/1999

One of my fav tweezers.

Yeah, that Tweezer is fucking SICK. definitely one of my favorite versions as well. I'm not very familiar with the rest of the show, but that Tweez stay on regular rotation 'round heeya.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

cactusfan

Thursday, 12/16/1999

yes it is.

also curious to see what shows end up here.
of course, 'the worst of...' is pretty open-ended. maybe it's a show with the worst version of one song, that's otherwise good.

aphineday

I agree with RJ. I'm down for reviewing a good round of shows with some meat. Besides being way too busy to listen to stuff that isn't good, I really just don't want to.

Cool idea, and I'll keep an eye out I'm sure.

Let that /HATE roll...
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

DoW

assuming you are still looking for peopel by Monday, I'll be in.  I have much hate to spread.
I'll just take one night a week off from transferring shows.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

sophist

Quote from: McGrupp on October 04, 2011, 06:58:18 PM

Thursday, 12/16/1999

One of my fav tweezers.
It was snoozer for me.  That was the first bad Phish show I ever saw. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sophist

I should add, that a time existed where I fucking hated sand, so having that open a set just ruined the mood for me.  Add to it the weird flow of having Velvet sea sandwiched in there, and well it was just mostly boring to me.  One awesome jam doesn't turn a show around for me. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

DoW

Quote from: sophist on October 05, 2011, 08:59:51 AM
I should add, that a time existed where I fucking hated sand, so having that open a set just ruined the mood for me.  Add to it the weird flow of having Velvet sea sandwiched in there, and well it was just mostly boring to me.  One awesome jam doesn't turn a show around for me.
that's my whole argument against 3.0.  ask people about a show and all I am hearing about is one or two songs a show nowadays.

emay

Quote from: bvaz on October 05, 2011, 09:23:48 AM
that's my whole argument against 3.0.  ask people about a show and all I am hearing about is one or two songs a show nowadays.

True which is why I am thinking of cutting back on the 3.0 shows. Cant seem to justify paying to travel so much for 30 min of grade A playing a show. But there are also a dozen other reasons I go to shows, like to spend time with friends I dont get to see as much and you guys  :banana: :crazy:

::keeps contemplating cutting back on  :phish: shows::

But I had a good picked lined up for the next round. After going to a bunch of 3.0 shows this summer, I dont know if I can put myself through listening to 'the worst of' shows.  :-P

DoW

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on October 05, 2011, 11:37:57 AM
Quote from: bvaz on October 05, 2011, 09:23:48 AM

True which is why I am thinking of cutting back on the 3.0 shows. Cant seem to justify paying to travel so much for 30 min of grade A playing a show. But there are also a dozen other reasons I go to shows, like to spend time with friends I dont get to see as much and you guys  :banana: :crazy:

::keeps contemplating cutting back on  :phish: shows::

But I had a good picked lined up for the next round. After going to a bunch of 3.0 shows this summer, I dont know if I can put myself through listening to 'the worst of' shows.  :-P
I'm fortunate enough to live in area that my travel expenses are not very high and I can see a number of shows.  although in 2011 I only saw 2 shows (if you count 1/1 as 2011).  the problem with that is I am usually working the day of and the day after a show lately so I really only get to see the music.  then I am really paying $70 for the music and not getting the experience and herein lies the problem.

after a few months of no phish, I can't wait for next year to see them again.  I just don't need to see them a dozen times anymore.