News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R13/W07: 12-17-1999 Hampton Coliseum, Hampton, VA

Started by whatapiper, November 20, 2011, 11:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatapiper

After much consideration I wanted to post a show that may get folks to actually listen to and review, despite the fact that this is the last week of "the worst of."   The Vegas run in 04 was by far the worst run I witnessed but we have traveled that road.   Like Birdman with his pick from 96 I want to get some perspective on a show I have not heard since, and one that at the time was a turning point in my seeing The Phish.   

Phish
December 17, 1999
Hampton Coliseum
Hampton, VA

source:
(FOB) Schoeps mk41 > kc5 > cmc6 > Sonosax SX-M2 > Sony D100 (@ 48kHz)

transfer:
Sony PCM-R500 > Tascam HD-P2 > CF card > usb > pc > WaveLab 5.01b (fades, resample to 44.1 kHz) > CD Wave v1.95 > FLAC v1.1.2 (Level 8)

recorded by Dave Flaschner
transferred by Jason Sobel (jasonsobel@gmail.com)
seeded September 10, 2006

notes:
The original 48kHz files from the DAT transfer have been archived, and are available upon request.
This is a re-transfer from the master DATs.  I transferred Dave's source and seeded on 12/03/05, but on that transfer, I used my Sony D8 for the transfer, and there was digi-noise throughout.  This is a clean transfer from a better DAT deck.  Enjoy.
The master DATs were used in this transfer, thansk Dave!

Disc 1 - [67:03]
Set I
01 - [11:21] - Piper
02 - [06:29] - Meat >
03 - [04:04] - Sparkle >
04 - [12:13] - Gotta Jibboo >
05 - [10:34] - Punch You in the Eye
06 - [05:40] - When the Circus Comes
07 - [05:27] - Water in the Sky
08 - [11:14] - Twist

Disc 2 - [43:08]
Set II
01 - [11:26] - Birds of a Feather
02 - [08:59] - The Moma Dance >
03 - [05:06] - spacy jam >
04 - [09:42] - Bug
05 - [07:56] - Jennifer Dances

Disc 3 - [48:55]
Set II continued
01 - [17:27] - Split Open and Melt
02 - [06:55] - Character Zero
03 - [05:07] - encore break
04 - [03:54] - The Old Home Place
05 - [07:17] - The Squirming Coil >
06 - [08:14] - Loving Cup

Lossy http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YE710PPU

Lossless Set 1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CGCM6Y2E
             Set 2 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KXD4WBWT
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Superfreakie

Not sure if this is the show I would of used to determine my "turning point in my seeing The Phish."
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

rowjimmy

I'm gonna actually listen to this one.
I was there and haven't listened to it in ages.

antelope19

I remember thinking they "redeemed" themselves with the encore and that the show itself was nothing special.  I'll give this one a spin this week too.  It's been a while.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

blatboom

hey my first show.  maybe not great overall but I think there's some really solid versions here

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: antelope19 on November 21, 2011, 08:14:47 AM
I remember thinking they "redeemed" themselves with the encore and that the show itself was nothing special.  I'll give this one a spin this week too.  It's been a while.

This would be an accurate statement.  The show was meh.  Not bad, but during the encore, I specifically turned to my buddy and said THIS is why I see Phish!  That was a solid encore for sure!

Quick notes from memory...

PYITE intro is really fun.  Birds teases during Moma were cool and the jam from Moma to Bug is really, really nice stuff. 

Oh and who can forget Jennifer Dances.   :evil:
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

antelope19

Through sparkle so far....everything so far is solid and well played  The energy before and during Piper is through the roof and this is a fun version of Meat.  Anyway, I'll resist the urge to post any more until I've completed the show.  :)   
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

whatapiper

Quote from: Superfreakie on November 21, 2011, 12:04:28 AM
Not sure if this is the show I would of used to determine my "turning point in my seeing The Phish."

Had you participated in this round I would have highly anticipated your pick.

I wanted to pick a show that may get people interested in actually listening to and get a debate, as I mentioned.   "At the time" this show nearly kept me from going to Big Cypress.  I had a free ticket for 12/18 and was reluctant to accept.  Cypress was my last show until Hampton in 03  so yes this was a turning point show "at the time."

beginning to end
we belong

Superfreakie

Quote from: whatapiper on November 21, 2011, 09:16:34 AM

I wanted to pick a show that may get people interested in actually listening to and get a debate, as I mentioned.   "At the time" this show nearly kept me from going to Big Cypress.  I had a free ticket for 12/18 and was reluctant to accept.  Cypress was my last show until Hampton in 03  so yes this was a turning point show "at the time."

You misunderstood me. I thought it might of taken a worse show than this to get you to the tipping point, particularly because I assumed you caught the 18th and might of been propped back up. The 18th is not great, but it's not bad. I didn't catch any shows winter tour '99. My last that year was Albany in October. Why did you not see a show after Cypress. Life? Or you just weren't into them anymore, partially due to this show?
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

whatapiper

Quote from: Superfreakie on November 21, 2011, 10:39:48 PM

You misunderstood me. I thought it might of taken a worse show than this to get you to the tipping point, particularly because I assumed you caught the 18th and might of been propped back up. The 18th is not great, but it's not bad. I didn't catch any shows winter tour '99. My last that year was Albany in October. Why did you not see a show after Cypress. Life? Or you just weren't into them anymore, partially due to this show?

the 18th led me to Cypress, it was a slight bounce back.   My life was such a mess at that point I'm surprised I made it out of Big Cypress.   I literally drove straight from FL to VA on the 1st and landed in court on the 2nd for some previous charges still not completely dealt with.   I spent the next three and a half years sober and relocated coasts to finally get my $hit together.
That's why I want to review this show, I know my perspective will be much much different on a show that I nearly walked out of at set break 12 years ago and one that nearly kept me from witnessing the best set of music imaginable two weeks later.   
beginning to end
we belong

Superfreakie

Quote from: whatapiper on November 22, 2011, 11:25:35 AM
Quote from: Superfreakie on November 21, 2011, 10:39:48 PM

the 18th led me to Cypress, it was a slight bounce back.   My life was such a mess at that point I'm surprised I made it out of Big Cypress.   I literally drove straight from FL to VA on the 1st and landed in court on the 2nd for some previous charges still not completely dealt with.   I spent the next three and a half years sober and relocated coasts to finally get my $hit together.
That's why I want to review this show, I know my perspective will be much much different on a show that I nearly walked out of at set break 12 years ago and one that nearly kept me from witnessing the best set of music imaginable two weeks later.

Well, it only kept you away from Phish for few years and you found sobriety on the better coast, good on ya +K...myself, I lost a decade.  :police:

whatapiper

1999-12-17

Piper - love this as an opener and energy seems through the roof.   Major Trey shred then some loops layered over the crowd while fish punches holes in the floor.   Solid short version.

Meat - never know what to say about this song

Sparkle - I suppose we need a shot after falling asleep during meat.

Jiboo - always a fan.   Set lagging a bit and this should get things rolling.   Trey gives the solo a little extra love but pretty standard otherwise.  Nice slow build to the finish.

PYITE - nice turn around here and really lovin the intro variation.   Fun version

Circus - the flow of this set leaves much to be desired.  

Water in the Sky - not really a hater but timing is everything.   Solo is just fine but I'm ready for some substance

Twist - I was still on the fence with this song at the time, having said that this version does play it pretty safe.  
Everyone seems lose and primed for direction but Trey seems happy noodling away.   Quick peak then drop back to Twist to close the set. Meh

Birds - the first line is so true on this night.   Mike and a fish really pushing it.  Solid around 9+ it without leaving the Birds theme.  

Moma - straightforward funk then...

Jam - 1st music of the night, this section will forever be Hampton Returns, great stuff and a recent pick from NTJM

Bug - Fine I suppose, great solo from Trey and all around well played, great version

Jennifer Dances - nuff said

Split - mike is way off in the intro and everyone sloppy as a whole during the composed.   Dark jam takes on a sand quality before getting layered with 99's bag of effects.  Turns into a mess towards the end.  Definitely not the same beast we saw two weeks later.

Zero - it happens 

Encore break - longest ever?

Old Home Place - did we start the show over?

Coil -  played well, no real complaints

Loving Cup - Rawk, encore a nice kick down

Overall this show still doesn't do it for me.  C- if only for the cool PYITE, jam, a descent Birds and Triple encore

beginning to end
we belong

Augustus

Piper - Not the biggest Piper fan, but this one is fine. Typical shragin' for the first part then Trey starts dropping mad loops around 8 minutes in. What I like about this part is how the tempo or feel doesn't change and Fish continues to pound away. They hit the ending nicely.

Meat - I like Meat. This opening duo always kind of reminded me of 10-08-1999.

Sparkle - Actually pretty good for the time.

Jibboo - Lovin' Trey's tone. I miss it. I find the jam to work and it is rather tight. Piper's hatin'!

PYITE - Extended intro. Besides that, nothing more to report.

Circus - Good cool down tune.

H20 Sky - The first ever Everglades reaction! Somewhat rare for the year, but most of these '99 versions are quite tight.

Twist - They're going for straight rip on this one. Doesn't venture from the main jam (theme of the night?) but keeps the energy high. Only used twice as a closer and this was the last.

Birds - Brief tension ~6. A few small peaks along the way. Hints of dissonance at 8:40 and the bands remains here for a bit. Fish and Mike are really locked into one another tonight. Cool emergence from the space and a fluid return to the outro vocals.

Moma - Little skwirly on the solo. Moma is short and rockin'. Post jam is cool. Fall/Dec '99 had a few brief moments like this (like the 10-10 YEM), but this section of the show plays out more like the Boise Bag or 09-12 Ghost than the YEM. Right into >>>

Bug - Love Mike's little correction bend to start. Crowd STFU. Fish doesn't know when to end it. Liked this version. Sounds like Trey was prepping the Heavy Things loop, but instead the crowd gets...

Jen - Not the best back-to-back combo, but this is the best version of the three that were played. Make your signs, kiddies.

Split - Somewhere, Faux is lurking...Some much needed energy. Not quite the 12-04 version, but pretty good. Mike messes up the intro a tad. Great groove to start the jam. Really loving Mike blurring the line of where the one is in each measure. Kinda lags for a while ~9 and then Trey gets on the keyboard to make it worse. Actual jamming resumes at 12:30. Nice return to the theme at 16. Not sure when the last time I listened to this was, but I found it to be pretty lackluster this time around.  :|

Zero - Being of solo sounded weird. Just happened.

Homeplace - Starts in wrong key. Last time used as an encore was 11-02-1994 and this is still the last time it appeared in this slot.

Coil - Mike gets a little lost during the composed section, otherwise, pretty good version. Page's solo goes straight into >>>>

Cup - There's a really great release in this one thanks to Fish!

I've always found this show to be solid and I like it more than the next night.
Didn't find much to HATE this time around...I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.
I give it a B+/B