News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12/31 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post Show Discussion

Started by whatapiper, January 01, 2012, 12:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGrupp

Quote from: sophist on January 04, 2012, 09:37:20 PM
Quote from: Hicks on January 04, 2012, 09:01:44 PM
Pretty sure the people that know that there is a universe of incredible music outside of Phish are doing it right.
This. 

In the next twelve weeks, I'm going to

Akron/Family
Radiohead
Tool
Railroad Earth
Yonder Mountain String band
Dark Star Orchestra
Dr. Dog
The War on Drugs

You'll make it to 3 of those shows. Mark it.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

WhatstheUse?

I wish I could find another band that could do it for me like Phish does.

Perhaps a band that tours all the time, is cheaper, and is not a shadow of their former selves...

Really.... I wish.  I haven't found music that excites me as much as Phish since... well, when I discovered Phish.
Bring in the dude!

DoW

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 05, 2012, 02:30:10 AM
I wish I could find another band that could do it for me like Phish does.

Perhaps a band that tours all the time, is cheaper, and is not a shadow of their former selves...

Really.... I wish.  I haven't found music that excites me as much as Phish since... well, when I discovered Phish.
I always have been one to go out and see other music, but having gone through 2 hiatuses really helped.

it doesn't need to be a "band."  it could be a variety of music.  being limited to weekend shows mainly, I can see music every weekend of the year within a 3 hour drive (just throwing a number out there) and be completely content.

as much as Phish has moved me to love music, Phish has also moved me to love other music.  I am sure a lot the of the GD fans in here can add to that.
it really is to each their own.  if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  if Phish is doing the job, then there is no reason to look for something else.
my original comment was in response to a post about not having much expectations from Phish shows but going anyway.  there really is so much great music out there.

the best way I can sum it up is going to clubs and bars and seeing other bands may not bring "the" show every night, but everyone is chasing "the" phish show that isn't coming either.

the only thing to add is Phish is not going to be around forever.  be ready for that because it's going to suck when you go searching for the void.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: bvaz on January 05, 2012, 05:47:28 AM
as much as Phish has moved me to love music, Phish has also moved me to love other music. 

This is so true, they have turned me on to tons of music I may have never heard of or gotten into.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sophist

Quote from: McGrupp on January 05, 2012, 12:51:17 AM
Pretty sure the people that know that there is a universe of incredible music outside of Phish are doing it right.
This. 

Akron/Family
Radiohead
Tool
Railroad Earth
Dark Star Orchestra
Dr. Dog
The War on Drugs

They're all in Atlanta. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

VA $l!m

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

whatthecello42

Just realize the truth that classical music is way better than everything else.  I got into it early on, then a bunch of other things, then it eventually led me to Phish.  Just sayin...

(What was Trey studying while writing Junta?)

DoW

Bobafett

The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on January 05, 2012, 08:11:34 AM
as much as Phish has moved me to love music, Phish has also moved me to love other music. 

This is so true, they have turned me on to tons of music I may have never heard of or gotten into.
absolutely. Phish made me fall in love with ALL music. They taught me the endless possibilities of improvisation and opened my mind to SO much new music. I just haven't found anything that can hit me in the same way since.
Bring in the dude!

VA $l!m

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 05, 2012, 03:59:48 PM

absolutely. Phish made me fall in love with ALL music. They taught me the endless possibilities of improvisation and opened my mind to SO much new music. I just haven't found anything that can hit me in the same way since.

...that's what she said
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

McGrupp

Quote from: sophist on January 05, 2012, 09:34:36 AM
Quote from: McGrupp on January 05, 2012, 12:51:17 AM
This. 

Akron/Family
Radiohead
Tool
Railroad Earth
Dark Star Orchestra
Dr. Dog
The War on Drugs

They're all in Atlanta.

MAYBE 4.

I know you and plans.  :wink:

I'll bet you $10 you don't make it to all of those shows. I need pictures of the stubs to prove it.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

DoW

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on January 05, 2012, 03:59:48 PM

I understand that statement, but it sort of sucks.

just to clarify my eaely morning unclear post.  Phish defiitely opened the door for other music while they were great.  really starting in 2010 is when I needed something new to look forward to.
Phish's good years moved towards listening to other stuff and now Phish's bad years (in my opinion which really means nothing) has made me listen to other stuff to fill the void that Phsih has already left me.
as said as I find your statement  :wtu:, I find mine equally as sad.

I've always liked moe. (but always slightly less than I do now) and had that option but its lately that all these smaller bands are starting to influence my listening.  not one individually can fill that void but collectively, it works.
choosing strange creek over bethel was one of the best decisions I made last year.  that weekend was so moving to me musically that although the bethel shows were actually pretty decent, it wouldn't have impacted me the same way.