September 27, 2021, 07:57:53 PM

News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Allman Bros.

Started by susep, November 05, 2005, 08:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

I've been listening to various Allman Bros. Instant Live shows and was wondering if anyone else feels their revitalization?
Wouldn't mind hearing Trey w/ Allmans on Mountain Jam from Essex Junction(Aug) :-D

Gumbo72203

Yes, the Allman Brothers Band have completely reinvented themselves tenfold for the better.  Their new groove is unbelievable.  what it soundsl ike to me is their classic Allmans/Dead blues jam rock but with a heavy dankened dose of psychedelic calypso stuff.... i cant really explain it.  Its really all in Marc Quinones amazing exotic percussion.  Like...  hmm, i guess if you put classic Allmans, early 70's Dead, String Cheese, and some cool island reggae into a blender and hit puree you might get something close... 

it really is beyond words.  it is my honest opinion that the Allman Brothers Band are the leaders of the scene right now, picking up the reigns that Phish left.  All that needs to be done is make Gregg jonesed on touring and they'll be it.  Honestly, the Allman Brothers are completely ridiculous now.  If you liked them before and thought they were amazing......  fpawhefpaweohgr

go see them. 

and for those interested, i HIGHLY recommend the SPAC show from this summer, 7/24/05, for a perfect portal-entry into the exoticaly ecstatic southern frollic-psychedelia that is the Allman Brothers Band today (18+ minute Jessica opener what?  20minute Egypt (new instrumental......)?  Dreams>15+ minute Whipping Post set closer who?   LAYLA encore where?)  right here bitch.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 03:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 04:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

sls.stormyrider

I was a huge fan of the original ABB-Fillmore East was my fav album for a long time and still one of the best. I stopped listening to them for a while but discovered DTB and then picked up an ABB show from 03 and was very impressed. Great jams, lots of energy - I'm a big fan again.
Agree - would love to hear what Trey did with them.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

music_is_cool

As far as the allmans in essex with trey...... iwas there, and with the risk of sounding
like a bitter fan, it sucked. Trey couldnt blend with the band, he was all over the place, flailing about
without anything musically interesting to say. his guitar was too loud, he played too much and wouldnt leave room for anyone else in the music.
it was sad, because i cant ever remember being more
excited than i was when trey walked out. i mean, come on..... how can that be shitty? well it was
and i was bummed. leave it to derek and warren as far as im concerned.
-james

susep

Yeah that does sound unfortunate esp. because Trey comes from the "listening" school of improvisation. 

petert686

I've honestly never been a fan of warren's playing. You guys probably totally disagree with that but i saw him for the first time a year or to ago in knoxville and he just didn't do it for me. I think blues is a style i've never really been able to love. his playing is kinda like uninspired i guess i duno i just can't listen to a whole show of it.

mattstick

I don't listen to much Mule or other Warren projects, but when he's on-stage with other bands he usually lights it up.

46 Days and Push On 'Til The Day with Warren & Trey tearing it up from Jones Beach this summer was epic.

susep

I wasn't that big on Haynes either.  I hadn;t seen him live before I saw him in the Rising Low DVD which is great.  I saw him for the first time this past summer with the Allmans and he was great.  He soloed with a lot of gusto>sometimes his soloing can sound off or meandering but he does that stuff like fighting a wave or something to discover what's on the other side where he swims mysteriously.  He blew my mind again 6 weeks later in Mansfield. 

petert686

I think i'm not really a fan of the plain old guitar solo which is what they do a lot i think. i'm more of a fan of group jamming of course. which is what a band who claims to jam should do.imho

susep

It's interesting to note how region and culture influence bands and music.  For ex. The Allmans carry a blues and jazz improv flair derived from the South whereas Phish carried improvisational styles as influenced by the urban megatropolis in which the members grew up in. 

Buffalo Budd

This seems like a serious bump but didn't know where else to put it.
So my dad got into some business and somehow became good friends with Alvin Lee of the Lee Boys who are playing Wanee festival.  Anyway, I guess they're pretty tight with ABB and he offered to get my dad a signed copy of Greg's autobiography.  Dad said that his son would be way more stoked about getting something like this so he made it out to me.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 21, 2013, 06:27:24 PM
So my dad got into some business and somehow became good friends with Alvin Lee of the Lee Boys who are playing Wanee festival.  Anyway, I guess they're pretty tight with ABB and he offered to get my dad a signed copy of Greg's autobiography.  Dad said that his son would be way more stoked about getting something like this so he made it out to me.

^ epic!
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. - Lemmy

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 21, 2013, 06:27:24 PM

Very cool!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Caravan2001

Awesome!  It's a great book but I found some things about Greg Allman in it that I was surprised to read.  I always though the GD and ABB were tight, but I guess Greg really never liked them.  Thoughth their music didn't groove and he didn;t like JG.  Also was weird when he said " I only saw him for 5 minutes, but I heard Hendrix was never good live."  :-o  WTF?  I was also surprised to learn that he hates acid.  I am only halfway through the book though.  It's a decent read albeit exceedingly sexist.  Sweet signed copy though!

mbw

Quote from: Caravan2001 on April 22, 2013, 06:55:02 AM
Awesome!  It's a great book but I found some things about Greg Allman in it that I was surprised to read.  I always though the GD and ABB were tight, but I guess Greg really never liked them.  Thoughth their music didn't groove and he didn;t like JG.  Also was weird when he said " I only saw him for 5 minutes, but I heard Hendrix was never good live."  :-o  WTF?  I was also surprised to learn that he hates acid.  I am only halfway through the book though.  It's a decent read albeit exceedingly sexist.  Sweet signed copy though!

sounds like a real a-hole!