News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

So you call yourself an American.....well how many drives have you done.

Started by Superfreakie, May 18, 2012, 05:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfreakie

Here is Yahoo's 10 Great All-American Road Trips. As a Canadian, I have done 9 out of the 10. I'm only missing Alaska. Question: if I complete Alaska do I get a green card. How many you done? I've done the Pacific Highway from the top of Washington to San Fran (sometimes LA sometimes San Diego) about 30 times. Second best drive in the world, second only to Australia's entire east to south coast. Actually, they may be tied.   

http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/top-10-all-american-road-trips.html

1. Seward Highway, Alaska
2. Dine' Tah Scenic Road, Arizona      - A MUST - SHOULD BE ON YOUR BUCKET LIST
3. Pacific Coast Highway, California    - A MUST FOR EVERY AMERICAN
4. San Juan Skyway, Colorado           - A MUST FOR CAMPERS AND HIKERS
5. Florida Keys Overseas Highway, Florida  - A MUST FOR THE TROPIC LOVERS
6. North Shore Drive, Minnesota         - ROCK AND PINE TREES CAN GET BORING AFTER 10 HOURS OF DRIVING
7. Cayuga Lake Scenic Byway, New York     -    THIS ONE SHOULD NOT BE ON THE LIST, RIDICULOUS (the southern US coast should be)
8. Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina and Virginia - FLOWERS
9. Mt. Hood Scenic Byway, Oregon    - A LITTLE LIKE THE COLORADO DRIVE AT TIMES
10.Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway, South Dakota - MEH
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

McGrupp

Done the PCH from LA to San Fran. Gorgeous.

Blue Ridge Parkway is essentially in my backyard. Around every turn is another jaw-dropping view. Love the parkway.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

VDB

I've done the Fl. Keys and chunks of, but not all of, the BR Parkway.

Anyone ever been on the Beartooth Highway? Great scenic beauty, mid-summer snow patches, and some hair-raising drop-offs.
Is this still Wombat?

antelope19

3/10. I've seen ALOT of this country, but I love stuff like this. I've still got a lot of work to do!!!!!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Superfreakie

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on May 18, 2012, 06:40:02 PM
Anyone ever been on the Beartooth Highway? Great scenic beauty, mid-summer snow patches, and some hair-raising drop-offs.

Regrettably, I have not. The summer of '95, beginning in May and ending end of August, I drove around 30,000 miles. Including two trips across Canada east to west. The two west to east trips back were spent zigzagging across the US beginning with drives down the Pacific Highway. Cheap gas rocked. As a youngster, you'd never be able to afford that trip today.   
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

PIE-GUY

I've driven the length of the Natchez Trace Parkway a few times... It's pretty cool, mostly because it's an actual historical route people took from Nashville to Natchez.

http://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Superfreakie

Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 18, 2012, 07:14:02 PM
I've driven the length of the Natchez Trace Parkway a few times... It's pretty cool, mostly because it's an actual historical route people took from Nashville to Natchez.

Yeah, see, the Minnesota drive, without question, should have been a southern drive; be it the Louisiana/Texas coast, or along the bayou. And South Dakota is only included for Mount Rushmore (actually some of the sand hoodoos in the badlands are pretty cool). 

sls.stormyrider

PCH
Cayuga lake
S Dakota
Blue Ridge Pkway

I need to go to Oregon and Alaska.
Din'Tah seems pretty cool
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Guyute

The only 1 I have done start to finish is the Seward Alaska drive.   It was great, especially as you got down to the water.   We had to stop twice.  Once for a moose in the road that walked right alongside my window and then for some mountain goats in the road.

I liked Anchorage to Fairbanks better due to Denali.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

disco

4 and 6 for me. I lived in ND and have never heard of the South Dakota one but I've driven through many parts of it's western half in my days. Maybe on that one. The San Juan is definitely awesome, the best of CO, especially in Mid July for flowers and late Sept/early Oct for fall colors
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

UncleEbinezer

3, 5 and 8.  I went from SF to LA down the coast.  One of the most memorable experiences of my life.  Definitely will be doing it again as my wife has never been to the west coast.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

Superfreakie

Quote from: disco on May 27, 2012, 10:20:54 AM
4 and 6 for me. I lived in ND and have never heard of the South Dakota one but I've driven through many parts of it's western half in my days. Maybe on that one. The San Juan is definitely awesome, the best of CO, especially in Mid July for flowers and late Sept/early Oct for fall colors

At one point on the San Juan (or a section just before or after) you climb really high in elevation. In 1995, after the GD Shoreline run, we bolted to Red Rocks for Phish and hit that section of the highway. Now this was the beginning of June.....and as the van climbed we soon found ourselves in a full on snow blizzard. To make matters worse, my van's heating was broke prior to leaving but I left it as is, figured I wouldn't be needing it for summer tour. Needless to say, I frostbit my feet while driving...........in June.   

disco

Quote from: Superfreakie on May 29, 2012, 01:19:16 PM
Quote from: disco on May 27, 2012, 10:20:54 AM

At one point on the San Juan (or a section just before or after) you climb really high in elevation. In 1995, after the GD Shoreline run, we bolted to Red Rocks for Phish and hit that section of the highway. Now this was the beginning of June.....and as the van climbed we soon found ourselves in a full on snow blizzard. To make matters worse, my van's heating was broke prior to leaving but I left it as is, figured I wouldn't be needing it for summer tour. Needless to say, I frostbit my feet while driving...........in June.

not so much the case this year, everything is pretty much melted already in the SJ's this spring. However it can always drop a fresh blanket anytime of year up there.  Terrible snow year last year for CO. Only bought a 4-pass last year and didn't even use the whole thing. We'll see what the cycle brings this year. If nothing else, I'm excited for the longer alpine hiking season we should get out of it.

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

Bobafett

The perfect road for biking.  Spring and fall are tops. 

I have done 4/10 off the list.  Alaska is a must do for me, being such a fish junkie.  Din'tah!  i was just there!
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Bobafett on June 04, 2012, 11:38:13 AM

The perfect road for biking.  Spring and fall are tops. 

I have done 4/10 off the list.  Alaska is a must do for me, being such a fish junkie.  Din'tah!  i was just there!

Interesting; I don't think I've driven the Natchez, let alone heard of it.