News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/30 - Alpine Valley - East Troy, WI - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Undermind, July 01, 2012, 12:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igbo

McGrupp

Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

roggae

Clearly it's all awful.

mbw

last night was fun!  it was definitely just an average show, jam wise, but nothing about it was horrible.

daniel saw the stone was great to hear, as well as jim, sloth, reba and circus.
i thought the second set was sweet, but apparently 4 minute twists slammed into rift and terrible gins with horrid segues into fluffhead make for a much better set. 

maybe the difference was the energy level.  it was pretty low all night.  a lot of people seemed out of gas.

rowjimmy

I'm glad you dug it, mbw. The set list looks like it could really be something but I haven't heard much (lasts nights stream blew the chunks).

Reba is sounding nice on my iPhone right now. (Critical Listening!)

tet

That Reba was indeed great.

The whole show was a ton of fun. Really enjoyed 1st set energy, and 2nd did have some amazing moments, suck as Golden Age -> 2001.  That was groovetastic :banana:
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

McGrupp

Sounds like that lick that Trey played in the Cinci Twist pops up between 9:25-9:45 of RnR. I think WTU? was the one who pointed out that it's almost the same thing as the loop Trey plays at the end of the Gorge 09 Gin.

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

McGrupp

Listening to Golden Age. Nothing new here. I never really minded the plinko stuff, in fact at first I thought it was really cool and unique. But I'm starting to wonder if it's gone from an artistic theme or style to just a plain old crutch. It can be cool when they go somewhere different with it (Burgettstown Light), but the Trey solo > Plinko > Space formula is starting to grow old.

Hicks

Quote from: McGrupp on July 01, 2012, 11:49:23 AM
Listening to Golden Age. Nothing new here. I never really minded the plinko stuff, in fact at first I thought it was really cool and unique. But I'm starting to wonder if it's gone from an artistic theme or style to just a plain old crutch. It can be cool when they go somewhere different with it (Burgettstown Light), but the Trey solo > Plinko > Space formula is starting to grow old.

Yeah it is kinda formulaic, but the way they used it throughout the second set in Burgettstown, esp. during the Paug, gives me hope that it is leading to something fresh.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

aphineday

I want to apologize for my post-show rants last night. I was tired, and the show didn't jam much. I also had these really intolerable assholes next to me talking about how this was the greatest show evar.
I just want them to jam (like many of us do). I'm sure I'll like the set better on a re-listen, and I plan to have a wholly different attitude going in to this evening.
I'm not about any signs down front, but one guy had a sign last night that I totally dug. It just said "JAM".
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

McGrupp

Quote from: aphineday on July 01, 2012, 01:15:50 PM
I'm not about any signs down front, but one guy had a sign last night that I totally dug. It just said "JAM".

Page said no.

:-)

Gumbo72203

interested to hear this.  Last night I caught Raisinhead play about 80 yards from my apartment, with Tom Parrozzi and Brian Mangini from the Ominous Seapods, with a rare reunion performance with Scott Appicelli on drums; he's a Berklee grad, and my god...... 

it was fucking retarded how good they were.  They didn't rehearse before the show; just practiced to tapes, but this was the original lineup of the band years ago.  Its amazing when you watch people who are skillfully crafted at playing music AND who love improvising AND who have years and years and years of road experience together (Tom and Brian).  They played New Speedway, Loving Cup -> Funk Jam, Tangled Up In Blue, Dear Prudence, and I WOULD have fucking gotten my Leaving The Monopole if they had more time and didn't jam as much.

Seriously one of the best shows I've seen in years probably.  No PA except for vocals, drums un-miced, outside on a patio thing....  ugh.  Absolutely masterful.

Oh wait Phish?   sorry.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

tweezerfan

only part of this show that was good was the guy holding the "jam" sign. tonight my sign will say, "does phish jam anymore?" keep your eyes posted.

Gumbo72203

Do it.  I think Phish is playing fine, but Trey slamming the brakes on that sick DC Gin after 8 minutes for Fluffhead? 

i literally do not understand.  I wish I knew what his rationale was.  Like, theres no judgement valuation...  i simply just absolutely cannot fathom his reasoning for doing so. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Igbo