News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/08 - SPAC - Saratoga Springs, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by runawayjimbo, July 09, 2012, 12:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfmansbrother

I am at work and can't listen yet but I'm curious about the SOAM. Can anyone give an honest review?

McGrupp

This is easily a contender for best 2nd set of the tour:

Axilla > Light -> Twist > Kill Devil Falls > My Friend My Friend > Swept Away > Steep > Piper^ > Free > Kung > Harry Hood > Cavern > David Bowie

Band didn't stop playing the whole time! Look at all those segues.

Not trying to be a sensationalist, but I really really liked what I heard on the stream last night. Light was nice. Twist was ok. KDF was atypical (and even kinda type II ish). Myfe was raging. swept away > steep is the perfect mid 2nd set breather. Piper was easily the highlight of the set.... lots of good thematic playing from Trey and also went to type II territory after a peak. Cavern fakeout closer > pretty cool bowie which also had a face to it.

I'm super happy with that set. After how disappointed I was walking away from Jones Beach, I'm really glad that they ended this leg with a show like this.

Can't wait to listen back!

Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

McGrupp

Quote from: Wolfmansbrother on July 09, 2012, 11:36:00 AM
I am at work and can't listen yet but I'm curious about the SOAM. Can anyone give an honest review?

Split didn't sound TOO messy and seemed above average for 3.0.

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

PIE-GUY

Last night was a great  :phish: show. 24 hour rule be damned. It was friggin great.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Superfreakie

Yep. This show was on. The only song that felt awkward to me was KDF. Doesn't fit in the midst of trip vehicles.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Igbo

Quote from: McGrupp on July 09, 2012, 11:41:48 AM
Axilla > Light -> Twist > Kill Devil Falls > My Friend My Friend > Swept Away > Steep > Piper^ > Free > Kung > Harry Hood > Cavern > David Bowie

Band didn't stop playing the whole time! Look at all those segues.

I'm super happy with that set.

Truth. Listened up to the Hood so far and really dig how theyve played everything. I thought the end of Light>Twist was really good, and the end of KDF before MFMF was really solid, and i hate KDF.

Steep is really good too! Nice little lite jammy bit.

McGrupp

I re-listened to Piper. It's still good.

Might be my fav jam of the tour, as I never really got into that Cinci Twist as much as a lot of others did.

rowjimmy

SARATOGA SPRINGS — A naked woman plunged from a 25-foot-high light pole that she had climbed Sunday outside the Saratoga Performing Arts Center during the Phish concert, authorities said Monday.
The woman, who was "under the influence of something" in the Victoria Mall section of Saratoga Spa State Park, was taken to Albany Medical Center Hospital at 9:36 p.m., said Sally Drake, a state parks department spokeswoman.
Phish played three concerts at SPAC over the weekend, with 20,000 in attendance each night.
The woman's name and condition could not immediately be obtained.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Phish-fan-hurt-in-plunge-outside-SPAC-3693449.php#ixzz209S1AK8Q

WhatstheUse?

Just got back home.... too tired and lazy to give anything but a generic  :wtu: review for the whole weekend right now:

Shows were incredibly fun and high energy -- all 3 SPAC crushed the JB shows in both playing and crowd energy, imo, with this third night being my favorite. Was SO psyched to see La Grange and I really dug this Piper and SOAM jam.  Phish is still the best touring band out there. booyah.

Bring in the dude!

kellerb

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 09, 2012, 02:29:06 PM
SARATOGA SPRINGS — A naked woman plunged from a 25-foot-high light pole that she had climbed Sunday outside the Saratoga Performing Arts Center during the Phish concert, authorities said Monday.
The woman, who was "under the influence of something" in the Victoria Mall section of Saratoga Spa State Park, was taken to Albany Medical Center Hospital at 9:36 p.m., said Sally Drake, a state parks department spokeswoman.
Phish played three concerts at SPAC over the weekend, with 20,000 in attendance each night.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Phish-fan-hurt-in-plunge-outside-SPAC-3693449.php#ixzz209S1AK8Q

I know I'm not the only one who read the article as "Naked woman under the influence of something in the Victoria's Secret section of the mall"

VDB

Quote from: kellerb on July 09, 2012, 04:12:22 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on July 09, 2012, 02:29:06 PM

I know I'm not the only one who read the article as "Naked woman under the influence of something in the Victoria's Secret section of the mall"

Surely there has to be some security camera footage out there.
Is this still Wombat?

cactusfan

this second set is working out nicely so far. i was amused at trey saying something about switching the verses during Light. has anyone ever paid any attention to the lyrics of that song?

and then an Inna Gadda Da Vida groove going on in Twist.

birdman

Thought this was the best night of the run. I LOVED the If I Could and thought the Split jam was pretty dope. I liked the way the song has evolved in 3.0, it teetered on falling apart for the last few minutes but it really worked for me.
  Second set was just a great jam. Heard the Twist coming from a mile away. Piper and Hood were both solid and you can't argue with a YEM encore.

It was great meeting a few new-to-me paugers; Mango Emay and Mar, and of course seeing usual faces Wtu, Matt, Kelley, Redden. And big thanks to Pie and Superfreakie for making the whole weekend complete. Paug rules!
Paug FTMFW!

Alumni

Quote from: cactusfan on July 09, 2012, 04:40:21 PM
this second set is working out nicely so far. i was amused at trey saying something about switching the verses during Light. has anyone ever paid any attention to the lyrics of that song?

Good point. I would have never known.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Cause I got a degree

Augustus

Something about being guided to his goal?
Oh! And purifying his soul!
SER deep stuff.