News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Gun Talk Re: have you heard about...?

Started by emay, July 20, 2012, 09:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: emay on October 02, 2017, 01:21:34 PM
Quote from: mbw on October 02, 2017, 12:05:57 PM
Weird, just yesterday this guy was a responsible gun owner.

House is about to vote on a bill making silencers legal, so that should be good.

Just brought this up at work and this dude literally made a point to poke his head above his cubicle and say "But those are to dampen the hunting sports rifles, to prevent hearing damage"

What in the actual fuck? I thought it was sarcasm but he was serious. What is wrong with people?

Send him a link to an earplugs website.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 02, 2017, 01:58:36 PM

House is about to vote on a bill making silencers legal, so that should be good.

Just brought this up at work and this dude literally made a point to poke his head above his cubicle and say "But those are to dampen the hunting sports rifles, to prevent hearing damage"

What in the actual fuck? I thought it was sarcasm but he was serious. What is wrong with people?

But then they can't hear the deer creeping up behind them.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

emay

Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 02, 2017, 01:58:36 PM

Ha, I think I might. Sadly, he probably wouldn't get it.

sls.stormyrider

no doubt, the NRA will say if there were more armed concertgoers, this wouldn't have happened.
:roll:
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

Quote from: slslbs on October 03, 2017, 09:38:28 AM
no doubt, the NRA will say if there were more armed concertgoers, this wouldn't have happened.

Yep. A sea of handguns attempting to shoot back at the guy across the street on the 32nd floor would have had excellent results.

emay

One of the band members of a band playing that weekend made an interesting (logical) comment. Looks like his stance has changed on gun control.

Quote"I've been a proponent of the 2nd amendment my entire life. Until the events of last night. I cannot express how wrong I was. We actually have members of our crew with [Concealed Handgun Licenses], and legal firearms on the bus," Keeter wrote. "They were useless." He continued:

We couldn't touch them for fear police might think we were part of the massacre and shoot us. A small group (or one man) laid waste to a city with dedicated, fearless police officers desperately trying to help, because of access to an insane amount of fire power.

Enough is enough.

We need gun control RIGHT. NOW. My biggest regret is that I stubbornly didn't realize it until my brothers on the road and myself were threatened by it. We are unbelievably fortunate to not be among the number of victims killed or seriously wounded by this maniac.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/10/02/i-cannot-express-how-wrong-i-was-country-guitarist-changes-mind-on-gun-control-after-vegas/

VDB

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 03, 2017, 10:03:15 AM

Yep. A sea of handguns attempting to shoot back at the guy across the street on the 32nd floor would have had excellent results.

The gun lobby will at least realize this much, leaving them with nothing of use to add here. And in so doing, revealing a gaping hole in their position.
Is this still Wombat?

mehead

Quote from: emay on October 03, 2017, 10:09:43 AM
One of the band members of a band playing that weekend made an interesting (logical) comment. Looks like his stance has changed on gun control.

Quote"I've been a proponent of the 2nd amendment my entire life. Until the events of last night. I cannot express how wrong I was. We actually have members of our crew with [Concealed Handgun Licenses], and legal firearms on the bus," Keeter wrote. "They were useless." He continued:

We couldn't touch them for fear police might think we were part of the massacre and shoot us. A small group (or one man) laid waste to a city with dedicated, fearless police officers desperately trying to help, because of access to an insane amount of fire power.

Enough is enough.

We need gun control RIGHT. NOW. My biggest regret is that I stubbornly didn't realize it until my brothers on the road and myself were threatened by it. We are unbelievably fortunate to not be among the number of victims killed or seriously wounded by this maniac.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/10/02/i-cannot-express-how-wrong-i-was-country-guitarist-changes-mind-on-gun-control-after-vegas/

but Sandy Hook couldn't change his mind. Whatever.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

gah

Quote from: mehead on October 03, 2017, 10:39:52 AM

Enough is enough.

Yeah, I think that's the one where it really hit that, hey, nobody in power gives a fuck. And this is what we are going to have to live with as a routine part of American life. I don't know what it will take to wake the fuck up.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mbw

Quote from: VDB on October 03, 2017, 10:14:57 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on October 03, 2017, 10:03:15 AM

The gun lobby will at least realize this much, leaving them with nothing of use to add here. And in so doing, revealing a gaping hole in their position.

the formerly pro 2nd amendment guitarist for this band( or maybe another band there) readily admitted being armed would have had no effect, and it has changed his position:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-country-guitarist-vegas-shooting-gun-control-20171002-story.html

eta:  if you can't find an armed public at a country music festival in Nevada where can you?

mehead

Quote from: gah on October 03, 2017, 11:00:06 AM

Enough is enough.

Yeah, I think that's the one where it really hit that, hey, nobody in power gives a fuck. And this is what we are going to have to live with as a routine part of American life. I don't know what it will take to wake the fuck up.

Nothing will. Anyway, let's shift our focus back to where it should be. How about those football players kneeling?

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Buffalo Budd

My dad's response when I said this will hopefully push Congress to make some much needed changes to the gun laws in the US...

QuoteDon't go there. The guns he had were banned and illegal already... If it wasn't a gun, he could have mowed them down with a truck. The issue is not about guns, but about removing God from their schools and society. About being more concerned about transgender bathrooms than about a moral compass

This sort of shit used to make me so angry but now it just frustrates me to the point of despair.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mbw

Quote from: mehead on October 03, 2017, 11:28:00 AM
Quote from: gah on October 03, 2017, 11:00:06 AM

Enough is enough.

Nothing will. Anyway, let's shift our focus back to where it should be. How about those football players kneeling?

Sons of Bitches!

rowjimmy

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on October 03, 2017, 11:28:53 AM
My dad's response when I said this will hopefully push Congress to make some much needed changes to the gun laws in the US...

QuoteDon't go there. The guns he had were banned and illegal already... If it wasn't a gun, he could have mowed them down with a truck. The issue is not about guns, but about removing God from their schools and society. About being more concerned about transgender bathrooms than about a moral compass

This sort of shit used to make me so angry but now it just frustrates me to the point of despair.

Might be worth pointing out that he's completely wrong. It appears that the guns were all legal and legally obtained, including the accessories used to modify them.

Also, the God stuff... Sorry about your Dad, dude.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on October 03, 2017, 11:28:53 AM

opinions will vary, and this won't change the mind of people like your dad,  but according to CNN
QuotePaddock bought multiple firearms in the past, but investigators believe the firearms were purchased legally, a law enforcement official said. The official said initial reports suggest at least one rifle was altered to function as an automatic weapon.
I don't know a lot about guns but I do know that there are several that are readily available legally that are quite easy to modify into an automatic weapon - that is likely a selling point for them
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."