News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/19 - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - San Francisco, CA - Post-Show Discussion

Started by rowjimmy, August 20, 2012, 07:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 24, 2012, 09:50:15 AM
Meatstick, imo, is one of Phish's weakest songs. I hope never to see them play it again.

I gotta agree with this, I was tired of it after Oswego.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Undermind

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on August 24, 2012, 10:32:45 AM
Meatstick, imo, is one of Phish's weakest songs. I hope never to see them play it again.

I have to agree.  Hurt the 2nd set of Great Woods '11 imo.  Funny thing was, when talking to my buddy on the way out I mentioned my distaste for Meatstick and some chick got all up in my face asking how I couldn't like Meatstick.  I just laughed and kept walking.
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

emay

Quote from: Undermind on August 24, 2012, 10:47:52 AM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on August 24, 2012, 10:32:45 AM

I have to agree.  Hurt the 2nd set of Great Woods '11 imo.  Funny thing was, when talking to my buddy on the way out I mentioned my distaste for Meatstick and some chick got all up in my face asking how I couldn't like Meatstick.  I just laughed and kept walking.

I agree. I hate when they start up meatstick outta a jam and the crowd errupts  :shakehead:

mattstick

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: slslbs on August 23, 2012, 11:57:08 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 23, 2012, 09:49:00 PM
Quote from: slslbs on August 23, 2012, 05:29:55 PM
Listened to SPAC 3 last night and this one today. It seems as if the band likes Sunday nights and / or nght 3.

C+P > Light > Sally is definitely worth listening to more than once.

While I agree that this set isn't the second coming of 95, I find it interesting that Boogie On and Meatstick put this back in 3.0 territory.
Someone refresh my memory, when did they start playing those tunes?

I think I was the first to suggest that Boogie On/Meatstick called back the 3.0 style.
What I meant by that was that those two numbers legitimately brought the suck. Whereas the jamming, particularly after Light, was the kind of Phish that has kept me listening to Phish.

ok - I get what you're saying. I thought it was the songs themselves.
Personally, I didn't thing the 2nd half of the set sucked, I liked YEM, but the 1st part of the set is the goods.

I liked the YEM too. Hell, I like Bug.

I think Boogie On is a song that didn't used to suck but it's so tired and unexciting nowadays.

It is also a cover, in an era drenched in them, which is two strikes imo.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

McGrupp

I don't see why everyone hates Meatstick so much. I don't LOVE the tune or anything, but it's harmless. I couldn't feel more neutral about it.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

rowjimmy

Quote from: McGrupp on August 24, 2012, 06:10:33 PM
I don't see why everyone hates Meatstick so much. I don't LOVE the tune or anything, but it's harmless. I couldn't feel more neutral about it.

Total garbage.
Ripped off changes, stupid words, obnoxious dance, waste of notes, time, etc.

That's why.

McGrupp

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 24, 2012, 06:23:17 PM

Total garbage.

That's why.

I would rather hear meatstick 3 times in a show than Show of Life once.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Hicks

Quote from: McGrupp on August 24, 2012, 06:39:40 PM

Total garbage.

That's why.

Co-signed.

I'd also rather hear Meatstick than Sleeping Monkey which also has all of the above shortcomings except for the dance part.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Is it unreasonable to suggest that Phish has more than one song that is utter garbage?

Cos I just did.

emay

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 24, 2012, 06:47:03 PM
Is it unreasonable to suggest that Phish has more than one song that is utter garbage?

Cos I just did.

:crazy:

whatapiper

Call me crazy but at the time meatstick seemed like the appropriate choice. Listening back I would like something different in that slot but at the show it seemed perfect at that time.
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

mbw

Quote from: McGrupp on August 24, 2012, 06:39:40 PM

Total garbage.

That's why.

i would give my left nut for trey to write more songs like meatstick and sleeping monkey than the shit he writes nowadays.
plus i *luv* both those tunes.

whatapiper

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

PIE-GUY

I understand why people don't dig Meatstick... It's a throw away tune in a lot of ways. Doesn't bother me though. It happens to be much less grating to me than fuckerpants, velvet cheese, or even Sample in a Jar.

What I don't understand is the hate for Sleeping Monkey. I love this song. I have never felt anything negative regarding this song. It's like a big warm towel on a chilly morning when you're done with swim practice. It's like a big hug from your slightly overweight friend who has huge tits and loves to smash em into your chest when you hug her.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul