News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

*Insert Venue* to be Webcast!

Started by rowjimmy, August 27, 2012, 02:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Monetizing your performances is what rock bands do.
I think Blat properly turned the term "money grab" on its ear by suggesting that Phish should be doing that. Here's a band that doesn't sell epic amounts of albums. They give away tons of music by allowing taping and by the inevitable sharing of DRM-free sbds that they sell. Phish, like all artists in this era need to grab what they can get to keep doing what they do.

Besides which, people have been clambering for them to stream more shows, all the shows even. Obviously, there are some who are opposed but this is a logical extension of what was happening when I posted the live set list each night from Hampton. People who cannot attend still want to participate. Phish is making that possible.

danje

I'd be interested in audio only of a whole tour for a reasonable price.

blatboom

I don't disagree with it philosophically speaking I'm sure the demand is there, something about it just feels shady to me.  maybe it's just how objectionable I find these performances to be and maybe I don't feel like they deserve to be making money hand over fist while putting in such little effort (idk just thinking out loud not trying to derail the conversation)

PIE-GUY

Quote from: blatboom on August 28, 2012, 11:01:42 AM
I don't disagree with it philosophically speaking I'm sure the demand is there, something about it just feels shady to me.  maybe it's just how objectionable I find these performances to be and maybe I don't feel like they deserve to be making money hand over fist while putting in such little effort (idk just thinking out loud not trying to derail the conversation)

It's entertainment... does any entertainer "deserve" the money they make? I think Judd Apatow is a great comedy film maker and I never complain about the ten bucks I spend on a movie ticket to see one of his flicks. But does he "deserve" to be worth $80 Million? 

I spend $120 a month on DirecTv... Is it worth it? That's a fine line, but a lot of people get paid really well to make the entertainment I enjoy.

You don't think Phish is playing up to Phish-snuff and that means they don't "deserve" to make a little more money. That seems crazy to me. Like RJ said, they have monetize their intellectual property any way they can. It's what the entertainment business is all about.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

To be clear, I probably won't be buying the stream.

McGrupp

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 28, 2012, 09:24:21 AM
Mehead has it right:
Quote from: mehead on August 27, 2012, 08:10:34 PM
Quote from: GBL on August 27, 2012, 08:09:07 PM
Phish has a history of playing extra meh during webcasts all of 3.0..

Where have you guys been?

fyp

Any given show is more likely to suck than be mindfuckingly stellar these days. Cameras rolling or not doesn't really seem to matter.

Quote from: phil on August 28, 2012, 09:13:42 AM
Quote from: Undermind on August 27, 2012, 08:11:52 PM
Quote from: GBL on August 27, 2012, 08:09:07 PM
Phish has a history of playing extra meh during webcasts..

Where have you guys been?
The only extra meh webcasts were Alpharetta last year and Portsmouth1 this year imo.

The saturday show of the Bill Graham run was pretty meh. sort of made me feel like i wasted 15 bucks

Would you have said the same if you'd paid for the Sunday show?

I paid for the Sunday show and I felt like it was totally worth it. Thoroughly enjoyed watching that.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

McGrupp

Also, just to jump in on this little debate here ... it basically takes no effort for the Phish to stream a webcast. If it's easy, makes you money, and makes fans happy, why wouldn't you do it?

Even if it is merely a cash grab, I see nothing wrong with it. As Blat said, good for them.

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

blatboom

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 28, 2012, 11:12:22 AM
You don't think Phish is playing up to Phish-snuff and that means they don't "deserve" to make a little more money. That seems crazy to me. Like RJ said, they have monetize their intellectual property any way they can. It's what the entertainment business is all about.

ya tried to couch my statement as not being entirely rational. I mean I love capitalism.  Phish and me are going through a slow painful breakup and that'll do that to a guy

mbw

if you don't know the kind of show you're are going to get in this 4th year of 3.0...

mattstick

Quote from: danje on August 28, 2012, 10:53:59 AM

Me too.  I want to listen to Phish live and watch MLB with the sound off... is that too much to ask?

McGrupp

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on August 28, 2012, 11:40:17 AM
if you don't know the kind of show you're are going to get in this 4th year of 3.0...

seriously!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: mattstick on August 28, 2012, 11:41:00 AM
Quote from: danje on August 28, 2012, 10:53:59 AM

Me too.  I want to listen to Phish live and watch MLB with the sound off... is that too much to ask?

Listening to live Phish may be the only thing to make MLB un-boring enough to watch.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

blatboom

that's why my last and possibly final show was 6/18/11 and I'm ok with that. definitely won't be paying for any streams

McGrupp

Quote from: blatboom on August 28, 2012, 12:25:18 PM

that's why my last and possibly final show was 6/18/11 and I'm ok with that. definitely won't be paying for any streams

Shoulda gone to Pmouth night 2....  :wink:

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged