News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

09/01 - Dick's Sporting Goods Park - Denver CO - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, September 02, 2012, 02:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gainesvillegreen

Liking this Caspian > Light combo. So too the Backwards/Tweezer.

So, are people preferring this Light to the San Francisco version or vice versa? (I haven't listened to the San Fran version yet).
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

VDB

Oh boy. Just finished the Golden Age > Caspian > Light sequence.

This Caspian has some TEETH y'all. I hate Fuckerpants as much as the next guy, but damn. If they gotta play it, this is how to do it.

Light was huge. Funk meets plinko meets groove. Love the gorgeous, understated passage before Trey steps out front and starts throwing down nasty licks. Thrilling, uplifting rock-peak shreddage to close it out. I can only imagine people in attendance were flipping their shit during and at the end of this. I love the little mini-jam for the comedown > finish.

I loved the San Fran Light and, without having heard that one too recently, I'm not sure but I think this may have it beat.
Is this still Wombat?

Alumni

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on September 02, 2012, 04:48:31 PM
Liking this Caspian > Light combo. So too the Backwards/Tweezer.

So, are people preferring this Light to the San Francisco version or vice versa? (I haven't listened to the San Fran version yet).

Leaning toward last night.
Cause I got a degree

whatapiper

With the 8/19 Light being such a beast it has me pretty stoked to hear last night's.  One more day and I can finally get caught up on the last few shows!
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Gumbo72203

this Light has a lot of cool stuff in it.  Trey's playing is interesting; he picks up a chord progression early, and then periodically abandons it.  13 minutes in, not a WHOLE lot has happened.  A lot of cool, understated grooving.  Fishman dropped out once, and then tried swinging the beat a bit when Trey did his delay-gooping thing where he smears the beat. 

Thought I heard a Golden Age or Manteca thing a bunch of times, like right now at 13:45.

WOAH, this just got REALLY COOL at 14:00.  Super chill groove, Trey playing notes, and just a chill, lazy-back groove.  Open, and breathe-y.  YEAH TREY!!!!  14:35!!!  OMG FISH RIDE CYMBAL!!!!!!  YEAHHHH!!!!!!

Holy shit, this is SUPER CHILL.  SUPER SUPER CHILL.  WOW!  Love this!!!  Trey's doing cool things with his delay, making sparkly ghost guitar.  HAHA OH MAN pentatonic lick perfectly placed!!!!

Dude this is serious jamming.  Wow.  This is like what '99 Phish would sound like if they took a Simple jam DEEEEP.  OH MAN MINOR KEY CHANGE!!!!!  More Manteca-ness a little, and its getting heavier....

haha dude holy shit this is so cool.  16:45 Trey has a wicked nice theme building, Fish adding nicely....    17:21 Trey switches to chords, ditching the single-note thing he was playing.  This is cool... OMG PAGE PIANO!!!!  SIGNIFICANT!!!!!  Stately!!! 

haha holy shit this Light guys.  WOW!!!!!!  YEAH!!!!!  Theres no peak yet, and this is already so epic.  Its been a perfect, smooth ascent into that pressure-feeling when the jam is raging inside you.  HAHAH OMG!!!  I LOVE Fish's work at 18:31.  Ride cymbal perfection.

Trey's kind of back to the earlier single-note theme...  omg PAGE YESSSS and Trey comes in with lead!!!!   19:15!!!  Fish!!!!!!

HOLY SHIT FUCKING ASS BALLS THIS JAM!!!!!!  OMG FUCK!!!!!   hahahahahahahhahahahah YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

hahahahahahaha omg guys.  hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!  YEAH!  hahahahahahhaha

VDB

Gumbo, you should get a job with your local newspaper to write concert reviews for them.
Is this still Wombat?

Gumbo72203

I think when normal people write, sentences are supposed to outnumber exclamation points.

I cannot do that. 

Wolfmansbrother

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 02, 2012, 10:38:45 PM

From like 12:48-12:53 the video shows a ton of fucking cute girls in the front row...please tell me Page is hittin' some of that?

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

cactusfan

really?

this is the first song i've listened to of the weekend. and wow is it ever bland. that must be the most boring 24 minute phish jam of all time. did they go anywhere different or unusual? the first 14 minutes are a total wash. then it feels like it might do something interesting for a few minutes, then they tack on a spare KDF rock jam they had handy before ending it. yawn.

GBL

Quote from: cactusfan on September 03, 2012, 05:01:33 PM

really?

this is the first song i've listened to of the weekend. and wow is it ever bland. that must be the most boring 24 minute phish jam of all time. did they go anywhere different or unusual? the first 14 minutes are a total wash. then it feels like it might do something interesting for a few minutes, then they tack on a spare KDF rock jam they had handy before ending it. yawn.

Try Carini, Undermind, Jim, Farmhouse, or CDT from the night before..
If this is love, I'm never going home..

mbw

I'm glad cactus fan said it, cause I didn't want to be the first.
It starts awkward, trey doesn't even play his guitar for the first 20 mins of boring plinko, then the typical rock to end it.
It bored the shit out of me.

Gumbo72203

I can see how it would bore some people.  Its very linear....  kind of like a slow, straight-line ascent to the top. 

I mean, it works for me on levels beyond simply what is BEING played.  Its the fact that they're listening to each other, and allowing the expanse to congeal into multitudinalities of length-time inflationary states.  And then capping it off with fireworks.  From a guitar. 

Its not the best jam ever but its great.  And what it MEANS and IMPLIES, in my opinion, transcends the minutiae and mundane objective details of the note choices.  Its the operating concept that delights me.