News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

09/02 - Dick's Sporting Goods Park - Denver, CO Post Show Discussion and Review

Started by aphineday, September 03, 2012, 01:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on September 24, 2012, 11:35:42 AM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on September 24, 2012, 11:24:42 AM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 24, 2012, 11:20:42 AM
so.... this might actually be the best Sand ever.

Is anything else really even close?

I'd take Big Cypress... and most played that fall leading up to it...... and most played the following summer....

Although this Dick's version is one of the few that breaks the "Sand" mold (and in terms of 3.0, that's fine and dandy, I'll take any jam, anywhere).... I've always felt Sand jams thrived on their minimalistic sound.  Love the versions where it's mostly bass and drums pounding away for 10 minutes with just some sprinklings of Page and drugged out Trey thinking he's doing cool things on the mini-keyboard.

that's a personal preference though... this Sand is still darn good.

The December '99 Sands are definitely of a high caliber, though insofar as they all kind of stay within the same box, I don't really view them as being improvisationally unique in the "typical" Phish style. So, as a piece of improv, I guess I meant, I think the Dick's version stands apart.
Is this still Wombat?

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on September 24, 2012, 11:42:37 AM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on September 24, 2012, 11:35:42 AM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on September 24, 2012, 11:24:42 AM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 24, 2012, 11:20:42 AM
so.... this might actually be the best Sand ever.

Is anything else really even close?

I'd take Big Cypress... and most played that fall leading up to it...... and most played the following summer....

Although this Dick's version is one of the few that breaks the "Sand" mold (and in terms of 3.0, that's fine and dandy, I'll take any jam, anywhere).... I've always felt Sand jams thrived on their minimalistic sound.  Love the versions where it's mostly bass and drums pounding away for 10 minutes with just some sprinklings of Page and drugged out Trey thinking he's doing cool things on the mini-keyboard.

that's a personal preference though... this Sand is still darn good.

The December '99 Sands are definitely of a high caliber, though insofar as they all kind of stay within the same box, I don't really view them as being improvisationally unique in the "typical" Phish style. So, as a piece of improv, I guess I meant, I think the Dick's version stands apart.

Agreed.
Bring in the dude!

Gumbo72203

the only one that comes close, in my mind, is 12/16/99 because that one pumps up the house-groove tension to preposterous proportions preluding a predominantly Trey-led ending jam full of exorcismic backwards guitar-terror. 

This Sand, however, is really great because its taking me so long to fully digest and understand it.  There is just SO much here.  The break around 11 minutes when Mike leads Fish back into a beat is fucking glory.  And then when Trey finds that duel-loop siren thingy that he brings in and out....  ugh.  So fucking great. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

Also, on a side note as to why Phish is back:  they just ended 2 tours with greatest-of-3.0 versions of songs.  First, the SPAC Piper, which is a worthy contender for all-time greatest version, and now the Dicks Sand. 

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

antelope19

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 24, 2012, 03:52:28 PM
Also, on a side note as to why Phish is back:  they just ended 2 tours with greatest-of-3.0 versions of songs.  First, the SPAC Piper, which is a worthy contender for all-time greatest version, and now the Dicks Sand.

:shakehead:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Buffalo Budd

Oswego Piper begs to differ.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Superfreakie

First, the SPAC Piper, which is a worthy contender for all-time greatest version.

you might want to settle down now Francis.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Gumbo72203

yeah i mis-spoke with that; I meant more that it deserves to stand along with those considered all time greats.

Just listened to 6/19/04 Set II this morning in bed......   THAT Piper is the best ever.  Unquestionable.  Irrefutable.  The jamming in that is just so...  there. 

Honestly, I would *probably* say right now that its only rivaled by 12/31/99 After Midnight Reprise Jam as the greatest Phish jam ever, for sheer group maneuverability and consistency of execution combined with constant dancing with all infinite possibilities. 

I mean, dude you guys.... fucking the 6/19/04 Jibboo is even a rager.  That shit gets crazy!  And the Limb too!  And the ASIHTOS!!!!

But yeah the other SPAC Piper is the best ever.  But i still think 7/8/12 is definitely one of the greatest ever. 

MeltMe

Quote from: Superfreakie on September 25, 2012, 02:15:00 AM
First, the SPAC Piper, which is a worthy contender for all-time greatest version.

you might want to settle down now Francis.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
nothing i see can be taken from me...

Gumbo72203

cactusfan

mattstick