News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Dungeons & Dragons

Started by rowjimmy, September 12, 2012, 10:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on September 12, 2012, 02:05:27 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on September 12, 2012, 02:03:47 PM
Slim brings it with a great point that I was discussing with a member of my group last night.

A certain segment of the current video game industry leans heavily on those constructs originally developed for D&D.  Slim cited Skyrim, my friend last night cited Fallout and others from that developer. (I'm not a video gamer so I don't recall all of the names he rattled off.) D&D changed the face of gaming. the classic tabletop, paper & pen game is still as fun and relevant as ever.

Slim, have you checked out your local gaming shop? Lots of them host gaming sessions.

Quote from: Superfreakie on September 12, 2012, 01:49:55 PM
played D&D, then graduated to AD&D.

Naturally.

We play 2nd Edition AD&D.

But there are now 3e, 3.5e, 4 (which was wildly unpopular) and, D&DNext.

D&DNext won't be released until 2014 but they have releasing abridged portions of the ruleset for public playtest. It's a cool amalgam of all of the previous editions and promises to be pretty excellent.

I have a VG+ first edition Dieties and Demigods for sale...  It includes Cthulhu and Melnibonian Mythos...  You know you want it...

Terry

For what edition?

twatts

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 12, 2012, 02:08:04 PM
Slim brings it with a great point that I was discussing with a member of my group last night.

A certain segment of the current video game industry leans heavily on those constructs originally developed for D&D.  Slim cited Skyrim, my friend last night cited Fallout and others from that developer. (I'm not a video gamer so I don't recall all of the names he rattled off.) D&D changed the face of gaming. the classic tabletop, paper & pen game is still as fun and relevant as ever.

Slim, have you checked out your local gaming shop? Lots of them host gaming sessions.

Naturally.

D&DNext won't be released until 2014 but they have releasing abridged portions of the ruleset for public playtest. It's a cool amalgam of all of the previous editions and promises to be pretty excellent.

I have a VG+ first edition Dieties and Demigods for sale...  It includes Cthulhu and Melnibonian Mythos...  You know you want it...

Terry

For what edition?

Noob...   :-D

http://reviews.ebay.com/Deities-and-Demigods-CTHULU-and-MELNIBONEAN-Edition?ugid=10000000001918680

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

rowjimmy

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on September 12, 2012, 02:17:14 PM

Naturally.

Terry

For what edition?

http://reviews.ebay.com/Deities-and-Demigods-CTHULU-and-MELNIBONEAN-Edition?ugid=10000000001918680

Terry

n00b?
Please.
I use PDFs now.

blatboom

dabbled in D&D, AD&D, Battletech and read a bunch of associated novels

mistercharlie

My cousins and I played D&D in one cousins dank dungeon of an unfinished basement (we played in other locals as well, but when I think D&D I think of that basement). I loved every minute of it. We'd listen to lots of Pink Floyd too, but we also played quite a bit of Zeppelin.

I saw my cousin for the first time in quite a few years a few weeks back and he said that he still has all of our books, dice, home-made quests and, most importantly, our Character Sheets. We talked about getting together some time soon to play a little D&D and some Magic The Gathering. We're tiring to get our third D&D geek cousin to play too, but he drives an 18 wheeler and is seldom here in town.

This thread made me think of that scene in Airheads when the crowd finds out Chaz's real name is Chester and that he was a geek. There's that dreadlocked black guy who shouts out "I played D&D, too!"
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

twatts

Quote from: blatboom on September 12, 2012, 02:55:36 PM
read a bunch of associated novels

Yeah, I was really into the DragonLance series for a while...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will

rowjimmy

shoreline99

Quote from: mistercharlie on September 12, 2012, 03:42:35 PM
We'd listen to lots of Pink Floyd too, but we also played quite a bit of Zeppelin.

And Rush! And Tull!
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

barnesy305

Quote from: shoreline99 on September 13, 2012, 09:43:45 AM
Quote from: mistercharlie on September 12, 2012, 03:42:35 PM
We'd listen to lots of Pink Floyd too, but we also played quite a bit of Zeppelin.

And Rush! And Tull!

Can't forget Tull. We shall start the quest with Benefit, then move on to Thick as a Brick as our journey progresses. When we reach our first battle, CARESS OF STEEL.

Superfreakie

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 12, 2012, 02:20:04 PM
Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on September 12, 2012, 02:17:14 PM

Naturally.

Terry

For what edition?

Terry

n00b?
Please.
I use PDFs now.

lulz
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

rowjimmy

So Friday we playtested the next edition of D&D.
It was excellent.

The game has really been distilled to its core and functions so easily. We'll still be sticking to 2nd Edition for our primary campaign but Next is going to be a fun occasional diversion.

twatts

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 17, 2012, 10:20:24 AM
So Friday we playtested the next edition of D&D.
It was excellent.

The game has really been distilled to its core and functions so easily. We'll still be sticking to 2nd Edition for our primary campaign but Next is going to be a fun occasional diversion.

----------------------

I want super-human will

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.