News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Political Pot Thread

Started by Undermind, October 01, 2012, 10:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

Quote from: whatapiper on December 06, 2012, 02:10:08 PM
Cue the makisupa background music cuz I woke up and weed is legal!   :smoke:

So damned jealous! Enjoy your legal buzz.  :rockout:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

whatapiper

Quote from: mistercharlie on December 06, 2012, 03:18:20 PM

So damned jealous! Enjoy your legal buzz.  :rockout:

I wonder how many $50 citations were given out on day one for use in public. 
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

tet

we noticed

"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

runawayjimbo

Good news: Harborside wins big in federal gov't abusive attempt to force landlords to evict dispensaries.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/12/03/harborside-health-center-_n_2234545.html

Bad news: the administration is preparing response to CO and WA legalization initiatives. And it ain't good.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/07/us/marijuana-initiatives-in-2-states-set-federal-officials-scrambling.html?_r=0

Administration Weighs Legal Action Against States That Legalized Marijuana Use

One option is for federal prosecutors to bring some cases against low-level marijuana users of the sort they until now have rarely bothered with, waiting for a defendant to make a motion to dismiss the case because the drug is now legal in that state. The department could then obtain a court ruling that federal law trumps the state one.

A more aggressive option is for the Justice Department to file lawsuits against the states to prevent them from setting up systems to regulate and tax marijuana, as the initiatives contemplated. If a court agrees that such regulations are pre-empted by federal ones, it will open the door to a broader ruling about whether the regulatory provisions can be "severed" from those eliminating state prohibitions — or whether the entire initiatives must be struck down.

Another potential avenue would be to cut off federal grants to the states unless their legislatures restored antimarijuana laws, said Gregory Katsas, who led the civil division of the Justice Department during the George W. Bush administration.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

VA $l!m

ya know, one thing i really wish got more press concerning the whole legalization for recreation thing, is comparisons to alcohol being legal.
there really isnt ANY comparison of the damage recreational  Alcohol use effects on society vs. Pot.

i think every person in America that thinks pot should be illegal should be forced to spend 24 hours in a locked room with 2 people:
a pot user with all the pot he can smoke and an alcoholic with all the booze he could drink.
/end nonsense.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

susep

Quote from: VA $l!m on December 07, 2012, 01:56:21 PM
ya know, one thing i really wish got more press concerning the whole legalization for recreation thing, is comparisons to alcohol being legal.
there really isnt ANY comparison of the damage recreational  Alcohol use effects on society vs. Pot.

i think every person in America that thinks pot should be illegal should be forced to spend 24 hours in a locked room with 2 people:
a pot user with all the pot he can smoke and an alcoholic with all the booze he could drink.
/end nonsense.

well said, was thinking the same thing a few nights ago.  Its fucked up that a substance that is very dangerous in term of its effects on behavior is legal vs. a substance that promotes peace and tranquility to its users receives such scrutiny.  What's left of the generations before Baby Boomers and Baby Boomers Puritanical belief systems are increasingly more eroded in a pluralistic America.  I can see all but a few states eventually legalizing like WA.  It could be very lucrative for states esp. in this fucked up economy.       

VDB

Quote from: runawayjimbo on December 07, 2012, 12:04:12 PM
Good news: Harborside wins big in federal gov't abusive attempt to force landlords to evict dispensaries.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/12/03/harborside-health-center-_n_2234545.html

Bad news: the administration is preparing response to CO and WA legalization initiatives. And it ain't good.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/07/us/marijuana-initiatives-in-2-states-set-federal-officials-scrambling.html?_r=0

One option is for federal prosecutors to bring some cases against low-level marijuana users of the sort they until now have rarely bothered with, waiting for a defendant to make a motion to dismiss the case because the drug is now legal in that state. The department could then obtain a court ruling that federal law trumps the state one.

A more aggressive option is for the Justice Department to file lawsuits against the states to prevent them from setting up systems to regulate and tax marijuana, as the initiatives contemplated. If a court agrees that such regulations are pre-empted by federal ones, it will open the door to a broader ruling about whether the regulatory provisions can be "severed" from those eliminating state prohibitions — or whether the entire initiatives must be struck down.

Another potential avenue would be to cut off federal grants to the states unless their legislatures restored antimarijuana laws, said Gregory Katsas, who led the civil division of the Justice Department during the George W. Bush administration.

Similar to how the feds effectively implemented a national drinking age. (Which I think is a bullshit and seemingly limitless way of skirting the 10th Amendment, by the way.) Maybe the fact that legalization here resulted from popular initiatives will make the feds pause a little, or at least cast any action of theirs in a negative PR light. Either way, I think we should welcome the challenge, perhaps it will force the kind of national change that I think is inevitable here.
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on December 07, 2012, 03:17:13 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on December 07, 2012, 12:04:12 PM

Similar to how the feds effectively implemented a national drinking age. (Which I think is a bullshit and seemingly limitless way of skirting the 10th Amendment, by the way.) Maybe the fact that legalization here resulted from popular initiatives will make the feds pause a little, or at least cast any action of theirs in a negative PR light. Either way, I think we should welcome the challenge, perhaps it will force the kind of national change that I think is inevitable here.

I'll welcome the challenge once Scalia retires and we get one more liberal on the court.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

DoW

fight the battle but drinking in moderation is fine.  don't go making it seem like drinking alcohol is an evil.if I sit down with dinner and drink a couple beers, there is nothing wrong with that.
it is when something is used to excess that issues arise.
sitting a smoking a bowl is one thing.  but smoking excessively and then getting behind a wheel is not exactly a good thing either.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

VA $l!m

Quote from: DoW on December 07, 2012, 03:25:57 PM
fight the battle but drinking in moderation is fine.  don't go making it seem like drinking alcohol is an evil.if I sit down with dinner and drink a couple beers, there is nothing wrong with that.
it is when something is used to excess that issues arise.
sitting a smoking a bowl is one thing.  but smoking excessively and then getting behind a wheel is not exactly a good thing either.
i never said alcohol was 'evil'. if anything i was trying point out the relative banal effect 'normal' pot use has on society vs. 'normal' drinking.

obviously any substance can be abused...

however, the point i'm making is about the disparity of the 2 drugs once they are abused.
how many people do you know that smoke pot for 2 hours  then decide to beat their wife because they are stoned?
on the other hand the amount of physical violence as a result of alcohol abuse is astronomical.

regardless, really what i'm saying is if AMericans have figured out how to 'deal' with legalized alcohol then legalizing pot shouldnt be a social disaster as the conservatives would make you think. its all about money and we know it. so, 'nuff said.

to be completely honest i am personally for 100% legalization of ALL drugs. every last one of them. i feel that laws should be used solely to manage the actions people take once they use a drug, not on the actual consumption.
in my mind a person that runs over 10 children in the street stone cold sober should be in jail, not the crack head that sits at home and plays with himself.

DoW

Quote from: VA $l!m on December 07, 2012, 04:35:57 PM

to be completely honest i am personally for 100% legalization of ALL drugs. every last one of them. i feel that laws should be used solely to manage the actions people take once they use a drug, not on the actual consumption.
in my mind a person that runs over 10 children in the street stone cold sober should be in jail, not the crack head that sits at home and plays with himself.

you have an interesting way of making an argument but whatever works  :beers: :smoke:

nab

I cringe every time the alcohol issue is brought up when the legalization of pot is being discussed.

The argument for legalizing pot shouldn't  rest on pointing out the dangerous of alcohol or tobacco, or skydiving for that matter, but on the merits of the drug itself and the futility of its prohibition.     

VA $l!m

Quote from: DoW on December 07, 2012, 04:44:06 PM

you have an interesting way of making an argument but whatever works  :beers: :smoke:
well, maybe you don't follow my  terse internet analogy, but to be fair i don't really have the energy to make a well thought out post on my opinions , so blame me and i'll just go back to avoiding these hot topic threads, lol.

i could go on for hours talking about my feelings on the subject of legalization and the unenlightened and Byzantine laws of this country, but really who cares, lol.

VA $l!m

Quote from: nab on December 07, 2012, 04:45:46 PM
I cringe every time the alcohol issue is brought up when the legalization of pot is being discussed.

The argument for legalizing pot shouldn't  rest on pointing out the dangerous of alcohol or tobacco, or skydiving for that matter, but on the merits of the drug itself and the futility of its prohibition.   

i didnt think i was actually trying to convince anyone here that pot should be legal, lol.
But at this point i'm getting my words twiste around and i'm confused on even what we are talking about.
enjoy your thread kids.
---peace.

DoW

Quote from: VA $l!m on December 07, 2012, 04:52:34 PM
Quote from: DoW on December 07, 2012, 04:44:06 PM

well, maybe you don't follow my  terse internet analogy, but to be fair i don't really have the energy to make a well thought out post on my opinions , so blame me and i'll just go back to avoiding these hot topic threads, lol.

i could go on for hours talking about my feelings on the subject of legalization and the unenlightened and Byzantine laws of this country, but really who cares, lol.
i was just kidding. I get your point  and analogy