News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Political Pot Thread

Started by Undermind, October 01, 2012, 10:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Natural

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 16, 2014, 12:59:15 PM

QuoteAny discussion on the issue should be guided by science and evidence, not ideology and wishful thinking.

Nary a mention by ONDCP of relying on "science and evidence" to, at minimum, move marijuana out of schedule I.

I'm not sure there's much room for science & evidence when they're stuck placating the hysteria they've been actively propagating for decades.
I think the Obama administration may have shot their load, in respect to cannabis law reform.
However, we'll see what changes after more dominoes fall this November. http://www.mpp.org/about/mpps-2014-strategic-plan.html
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

emay

im putting this here but I think its bigger news that just policy on pot

http://www.cannabisculture.com/content/2014/08/25/States-Medical-Marijuana-Painkiller-Deaths-Drop-25

QuoteIn States With Medical Marijuana, Painkiller Deaths Drop by 25%

VDB

That's pretty striking. Would love to hear the pot-is-dangerous crowd deal with that one.
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

^^^
not a surprise

http://time.com/?xid=newsletter-brief#3194786/marijuana-research-national-institutes-of-health-pot/

QuoteThe Government Wants to Buy 12 Acres of Marijuana — for Research
Jordan Stanley and others prune hemp plants growing on their family'’s farm outside Wray, Colo., on July 31, 2014 Matthew Staver—The New York Times/Redux
The NIH is looking for pot farmers

More

States With Medical Marijuana Laws Have Fewer Opioid Overdose Deaths

Calling all pot farmers: Uncle Sam is looking to buy.

An arm of the National Institutes of Health dedicated to researching drug abuse and addiction "intends" to solicit proposals from those who can "harvest, process, analyze, store and distribute" cannabis, according to a listing posted Tuesday night on a federal government website.

A successful bidder must possess a "secure and video monitored outdoor facility" capable of growing and processing 12 acres of marijuana, a 1,000-sq.-ft. (minimum) greenhouse to test the plants under controlled conditions, and "demonstrate the availability" of a vault approved by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and the Food and Drug Administration to maintain between 400 and 700 kg of pot stock, extract and cigarettes.

Back-up plans in case of emergency required.

The NIH's National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) is looking for growers who have the capability to develop plants with altered versions of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main psychoactive component of pot, and cannabidiol (CBD), which is known for its medicinal properties. NIDA "anticipates" awarding a one-year contract with four one-year options, according to the posting. The vendor would also have to register with the DEA to research, manufacture and distribute cannabis.

NIDA spokeswoman Shirley Simson said the agency was simply starting a new bidding competition since its existing marijuana-farm contract is set to expire next year. The original solicitation for that contract was issued in 2009.

There are 18 states that have decriminalized pot, 23 states with laws allowing access to medical marijuana, and two states — Colorado and Washington — that have legalized the drug for recreational purposes. Federal law still classifies marijuana as a drug on par with heroin, acid and ecstasy.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

PIE-GUY

Remember when there were rumors of a Phish fest on the Fagot Farm in Williamson County, Texas? Yeah, that would have been a horrible idea! This 19 year old kid was almost sent to prison for life because WillCo police used the weight of the brownies and cookies he baked weed into to charge him with a first degree felony. The brownies were found to have a total of only 2.5 grams of actual THC in them, but the charges are made based on total weight including the fucking tupper-ware!!

Luckily, the grand jury refused to indict him on the first degree felony charge. He still faces charges that could put him away for up to 20 years for this first offense.

Williamson County borders Travis County (Austin) on our north side. I try not to go there for any reason.

http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/charges-reduced-teen-arrested-making-pot-brownies-20371.shtml
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

runawayjimbo

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

VDB

Just exactly what greater good do the authorities believe they are serving in attempting to "throw the book" at someone in such a patently absurd manner as that?
Is this still Wombat?

Mr. Natural

I would imagine they are motivated more by the fear of what would happen if they don't throw the book at him.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Mr. Natural on August 31, 2014, 12:55:47 AM
I would imagine they are motivated more by the fear of what would happen if they don't throw the book at him.

They are following the law as it reads. That's the problem.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

runawayjimbo

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 30, 2014, 04:08:37 PM
Just exactly what greater good do the authorities believe they are serving in attempting to "throw the book" at someone in such a patently absurd manner as that?

Greater good? The DA is motivated by his/her future political aspirations and nothing more.

runawayjimbo

Reporter in Alaska with the greatest "I quit" since Scarface in Half Baked.

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

runawayjimbo

More injustice resulting from the state vs. federal conflict: man denied federal bankruptcy protection because it would violate Controlled Substances Act.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_26598241/federal-judge-denies-bankruptcy-protection-colorado-marijuana-business

Federal judge denies bankruptcy protection to marijuana business

Buzz kill?

A U.S. bankruptcy judge has dismissed the case of a marijuana business owner, saying that though his activities are legal under Colorado law, he is violating the federal Controlled Substances Act.

In dismissing the case filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Denver by Frank Anthony Arenas, Judge Howard Tallman said he realizes the "result is devastating for the debtor."

The Arenas' case is at least the second bankruptcy involving a marijuana business tossed out of bankruptcy court in Colorado. At least two others have been dismissed in California.

Tallman made a similar decision in a 2012 case involving Rent-Rite Super Kegs West Ltd, a company that operated a warehouse partially rented to a tenant engaged in cultivating marijuana.

"Violations of federal law create significant impediments to the debtors' ability to seek relief from their debts under federal bankruptcy laws in a federal bankruptcy court," Tallman wrote in the Arenas' decision last month.

Arenas, who couldn't be reached for comment, has appealed the decision to the U.S. 10th Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver.

According to his bankruptcy petition, Arenas owes more than $556,000 to unsecured creditors.

He has assets of $595,925, personal property worth $47,191, and monthly income of $4,315.16.

He has testified that he owns about 25 marijuana plants valued at $250 each, according to Tallman's decision.

Arenas, a wholesale producer and distributer of weed, filed for Chapter 7 protection, in which a debtor turns over assets to a trustee to liquidate and give the proceeds to creditors.

In the decision, Tallman alludes to the contradictions that dueling marijuana laws pose to liquidating assets and distributing the proceeds among creditors.

The trustee can't take control of assets or liquidate the inventory without running afoul of federal law, he said. Nor can the debtors convert the case to Chapter 13, which would allow them to pay off debts over time because the plan would be funded "from profits of an ongoing criminal activity under federal law" and involve the trustee in distribution of funds derived from violation of the law.

Those who own and operate marijuana businesses are caught in a legal limbo with federal law restricting access to banking services and creating obstacles that other legitimate — at least by state law — businesses don't, said Sam Kamin, a professor at Denver University Sturm College of Law.

"As long as it is illegal under federal law we are going to have weird anomalies like that," Kamin said.

Mike Elliott, executive director of the Marijuana Industry Group, said the bankruptcy case is one more "unjust" penalty that pot businesses face.

"It is amazing how far down the rabbit hole we are when we get to an issue like this. Marijuana businesses are unjustly penalized because the federal law is no longer based in reality."

emay