News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12/31 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, January 01, 2013, 12:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thrillhouse

Quote from: birdman on January 07, 2013, 09:23:07 AM
Quote from: sunrisevt on January 07, 2013, 07:08:20 AM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on January 06, 2013, 08:51:57 PM
The Sand Wedge is top shelf. Haters need not apply.

Yep.   ^This x2.

The old school has spoken.
I only listen to Gumbo

YOU TOO?!?!?!?!? Listening back it was like a mountain goat dancing in the stars.....the Earth shifted on its axis for a brief moment and all was right. RIGHT GUYS!?!?!  The galaxy opened up and they whirled and articulated in a musical language only known to a select few....truly inspiring.

Or something like that :wink:
Quote from: bvaz on February 14, 2012, 02:59:09 PM
I can only imagine how much I would hate people at an event like 'roo.

Pebbles and marbles, like things on my mind...

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Thrillhouse

Quote from: sophist on January 07, 2013, 10:47:06 AM
That's more Mr. Miner than Gumbo.

Oh well, I put as much effort into that post as I put into everything I do.....which is none.
Quote from: bvaz on February 14, 2012, 02:59:09 PM
I can only imagine how much I would hate people at an event like 'roo.

Pebbles and marbles, like things on my mind...

sunrisevt

Don't listen to Rams, Will. He's just bitter he missed the run. That impression was pretty spot on. Miner can suck a dick; I want Gumbo's ramblings in print...

And to be required reading for a quiz at the PTBM entry portal.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

JPhishman

This YEM still aint touchin the '09 one.

That shit is the shit.

Time to get on the boat.

:banana:
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

sophist

Quote from: sunrisevt on January 07, 2013, 12:03:09 PM
Don't listen to Rams, Will. He's just bitter he missed the run. That impression was pretty spot on. Miner can suck a dick; I want Gumbo's ramblings in print...

Considering I never even gave it a second thought or really even a first thought, I'd say no on that theory.    I haven't even listened to it yet.  So I'm not even down on it, or hating it. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Gumbo72203

Phan should love a Ghost like this, *ESPECIALLY* because of the Piper.

This Piper!!!  Holy tangled mess of yarn bought from grandmothers who smell weird but can still get down like its 1942!!!

Ghost hits epic ocean at 7:09.  Mike bouncing jollyly underneith a Page-gasm of piano unhindrance.  Trey sustainiacs his glee-note and then lets himself roll around in the wake of star-blinks as Page crunches his electrofoil covering, allowing the group to undiscover the 11/28/09 Seven Below jam, collecting an energy-burst for upwards motion attendant to all things anti groove-disrupting.  Its going. 

Slow Trey trills triumphantly triggering tremendous tribulational-trembles that temporarily titilate.  This Ghost is so liquid and gooey!  Its like when you watch taffy get made at a candy factory.  Stretching, oozing, twisting, forming shapes that shape themselves into unshapes before being shaped back again, twisted and twirled and writhing in their polymorphous undulations, given to time-centric disruptions based on circular motion and things like Trey's Epic Sustained Note!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Trey extending his note over the Piper intro.  The segue was kind of weak and lame but eh, you don't know whats up with this Piper, so get back in the shed with your funny uncle. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

So, I can't help but feel a significance to this piece of music.  Trey, single-handedly, controls the band and ramps up the escalation into one more gnarly peak. 

Not only does he ramp it up into a peak, but then he fucking SHREDS like 90's Trey. 

I don't know, I know i have an odd brain and you people can't quite keep up :P but.....    this feels important.  Significant.  Its different.  This whole Piper is one whirling mass of rapturous tumult. 

I'm almost thinking this Piper is better than SPAC. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

DoW

If I was a mod, instead of moving this thread, I'd move you.  :wink:

Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

sophist

I peeped the youtube video posted on page II of this thread.  On the Piper now, as for the Ghost.  It's more fluent than usual.  The major key stuff is nice, I think it implodes though, like, they don't know what to do once they do finally go somewhere smoothly and nicely.  It's not that it isn't played and executed well, it is, but....I'd still just like to see them push it past more than one improvised idea.  As quickly as they get there it falls into ambient territory to open up to the awkward and kind of forced segue into Piper. 

I'll say this, they sound a hell of a lot better than they did a year ago.  Nothing in that made me cringe, but at the same time, regretfully, that was also kind of boring, a regurgitation of the same tricks, only done in a much smoother manner. 

The piper is the same to me.  Same bag of tricks, they get louder and faster only to RAWK peak the fuck out of it and fall into a Plinko jam, same as every other 3.0 Piper.  Is it bad?  Not at all, I'm just surprised you guys are losing your shit over the same thing every time. 

I haven't heard the Wedge mentioned in this thread, I'll see if I can find it on youtube. 

Itsnotanexperience

I've checked out the shows for the past week and the one thing that remains constant is that they sound very un-practiced in just basic tightness.    They sound like they have not played together since 9/2.    They sound pretty good in spots, but the lack of practice really stands out.   

If this band would actually make time in their lives to practice for 2-3 weeks before they hit the stage, it would certainly make a huge difference.     I think Dick's last summer proved that after they've played together for a few weeks, they can actually put together a tight sound.

sophist

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

sunrisevt

Quote from: sophist on January 07, 2013, 01:21:09 PM
Quote from: sunrisevt on January 07, 2013, 12:03:09 PM

Considering I never even gave it a second thought or really even a first thought, I'd say no on that theory.    I haven't even listened to it yet.  So I'm not even down on it, or hating it.

I think your assessment of the music is perfectly sound. I was referring to your literary opinion vis-à-vis KoP's impression of Gumbo. And I was totally, completely, deadly serious.  :-P  :beers:
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.