News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/03 - Darling's Waterfront Pavilion - Bangor, ME - Post-Show Discussion

Started by Buffalo Budd, July 03, 2013, 11:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gundo

Quote from: VA $l!m on July 05, 2013, 10:55:02 PM
Quote from: slslbs on July 05, 2013, 08:27:25 PM
Trey has been timid for about 4 years now.

I'll reserve judgement until after the weekend, but I still think that if they're not gonna spend as much time in the shed as they used to (or as they should), then it would be worth cutting back a bit on the song selections and play them better.
But then, I'm only going to 2 shows. Those who are going to 5+ might feel different.

if ur refering to practicing here, then i really got to ask to those that might know better than me--but in the pbs interview the other day Trey stated post hiatus he had become 'addicted to practicing'.

i thought the consensus was that they were not practicing much at all and definitely less than pre hiatus.
so,  is Trey just lying? or is the less-practicing criticism just mostly bad rumor?

curious...
From what I remember in the PBS interview, Trey said they WERE addicted to practicing. He didn't really elaborate on whether or not they are still practicing (they're not). Plus, in the Charlie Rose interview after the break-up, Trey said they had stopped practicing after the hiatus due to other obligations and musical interests.

DoW

Didn't Trey said he spent x hours a day for 6 days a week for y years on heads in a hardbody?
I think the practice discussion is overrated. I think they are playing the songs they want to play and cutting the Hans where they want to.
Mist interviews they seem to be happy where they are at.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

VA $l!m

Quote from: EdBanky on July 07, 2013, 03:11:01 PM

I'll reserve judgement until after the weekend, but I still think that if they're not gonna spend as much time in the shed as they used to (or as they should), then it would be worth cutting back a bit on the song selections and play them better.
But then, I'm only going to 2 shows. Those who are going to 5+ might feel different.

if ur refering to practicing here, then i really got to ask to those that might know better than me--but in the pbs interview the other day Trey stated post hiatus he had become 'addicted to practicing'.

i thought the consensus was that they were not practicing much at all and definitely less than pre hiatus.
so,  is Trey just lying? or is the less-practicing criticism just mostly bad rumor?

curious...
From what I remember in the PBS interview, Trey said they WERE addicted to practicing. He didn't really elaborate on whether or not they are still practicing (they're not). Plus, in the Charlie Rose interview after the break-up, Trey said they had stopped practicing after the hiatus due to other obligations and musical interests.

i'd watch teh interview agian for the exact quote, but TBH i think 'practicing' really has little to do with Trey's playing, so its probably a moot point.
obviously Page, Mike, even fish sound rehearsed and up to snuff.
also, i doubt trey's practicing less now that he's sober.
it only makes sense a 50 year old sober family man would practice more than a 30 year old celebrity junkie, lol.

seriously-- "practice?!" as Allen Iverson would say. :wink:

-- i believe Trey's playing just is what it is because of who he is at this point in time.
speaking from experience it can be Ruthlessly tough as a creative person when you get sober.
i havent even had the willpower to pick up an instrument or paint brush in the last 8 years, let alone feel comfortable playing in front of 20k phans a night.

... i really just think its a case of Time and Wear on Trey.
either that or my original instinct is he is just fucking with people. :evil:
i have always thought trey was sadistic, but thats probably just me, lol. :crazy:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

Itsnotanexperience

Quote from: VA $l!m on July 07, 2013, 05:39:10 PM
Quote from: EdBanky on July 07, 2013, 03:11:01 PM

curious...

i'd watch teh interview agian for the exact quote, but TBH i think 'practicing' really has little to do with Trey's playing, so its probably a moot point.
obviously Page, Mike, even fish sound rehearsed and up to snuff.
also, i doubt trey's practicing less now that he's sober.
it only makes sense a 50 year old sober family man would practice more than a 30 year old celebrity junkie, lol.

seriously-- "practice?!" as Allen Iverson would say. :wink:

-- i believe Trey's playing just is what it is because of who he is at this point in time.
speaking from experience it can be Ruthlessly tough as a creative person when you get sober.
i havent even had the willpower to pick up an instrument or paint brush in the last 8 years, let alone feel comfortable playing in front of 20k phans a night.

... i really just think its a case of Time and Wear on Trey.
either that or my original instinct is he is just fucking with people. :evil:
i have always thought trey was sadistic, but thats probably just me, lol. :crazy:

Meh.   Practice would be a big help.   And new ways of looking at the music in general.  Drop that annoying intro to DwD - that got old by '97.    Speed some shit up.  Slow some shit down.   Practice Taste for four straight hours some damn Tuesday afternoon.   Fix the break in Ghost.  Drop the old tired covers like RnR, Drowned and Boogie On.   Take a chance and move Gin to the second set.    Learn to play Foam again and play it.

This is their fifth major tour and in some ways, they're worse than they were in 2009.
Mostly they are the same.  More whale means less good playing from Trey.   I hear the same issues with flubs, track selection, execution, botched transitions - name it.

It's four years later.   They've played almost 180 shows since the return.   I generally love a standard 3.0 show in person.....but most of these traits and bad habits are completely ridiculous this deep into this period.   Denver gave some hope.   But you get one of those every 50 shows.

They're rich and they could practice if they chose or if Trey could give up his NYC sheik lifestyle.   I'm just sick of them phoning in so much of their average performance.

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

gainesvillegreen

Sounds familiar.

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on July 05, 2013, 01:45:53 PM
Thanks for this vid. As apparently the lone voice of PBS enthusiasm in this thread so far, Jeffrey Brown typically does a good job - particularly with writers - but I would agree here that he was out of his element. He doesn't do musicians very often, and when he does it is to variable results (search on YouTube for his interview with the Montanan writer Jim Harrison to see where he excels).

It makes me  :cry: to hear Trey speak of practice in the past tense continually throughout this interview. All of the praise he gives the concertmasters, and he can't put it together that they practice daily, long hours, to MAINTAIN where they are. He seems to think all those exercises in Phish's past from 1983-199whenever are like tattoos which remain indefinitely rather than the transient fever rash of inspiration and ambition they really are.

Frustrating, but, ultimately, not terminal for this  :phish: head.

:music:

As someone mentioned in the LST's in the past couple of shows, they think they are playing Foam as good as is required (as evidenced by ticket sales and interweb chatter).
I think he is seeing these years as fruits of labor from years past, rather than an opportunity to achieve virtuosity on his instrument (and it should be said becoming the best composer he can be - I really miss how Phish's sound used to be SYMPHONIC in a way it never is these days).

As for Page, this is the best he has ever been imo. I'll let others vouch or vet Mike/Fish, but as far as Page is concerned, he is a wonderful example of practicing.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on July 11, 2013, 10:36:51 PM
As for Page, this is the best he has ever been imo. I'll let others vouch or vet Mike/Fish, but as far as Page is concerned, he is a wonderful example of practicing.

That being said, I highly doubt Page is dedicating a large percentage of his time to practicing Phish material.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

antelope19

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on July 12, 2013, 07:06:13 PM

That being said, I highly doubt Page is dedicating a large percentage of his time to practicing Phish material.

Correct me if im wrong, but Perhaps with only a few exceptions of stuff they've played so far, he doesn't necessarily have to practice phish material to still be on top of his game, where as other members of the band def do, ahem, I mean should have.  That said, it would imagine songs like its ice and maze are pretty difficult to execute without practice. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

gainesvillegreen

Very much what Antelope said. In addition to his own release and the work put in for that, if he is practicing the classical/20th century repertoire, then he will continue to improve.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

Play_It_Leo

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on July 12, 2013, 07:44:45 PM

Very much what Antelope said. In addition to his own release and the work put in for that, if he is practicing the classical/20th century repertoire, then he will continue to improve.
and I'm sure Trey is practicing  too.  the difference being  Trey is practicing  cheesy Broadway  tunes  instead of phish...  or jazz...  or classical...  or anything that requires much music theory or precision.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 03, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
I love what the band did in Sand.  Those last 12-13 minutes were ACE, Tom Ace.  If I were drinking from the toilet, I might have been killed.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM
Bouncin' - after all that, fuck they could have kicked their instruments in the face and I would have loved to eat some ice cream.

redrum

Has anyone seen a picture of the giant anniversary card the fans gave trey at the end of the first set?
Or got a link?
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

Undermind

Quote from: redrum on July 16, 2013, 11:36:46 AM
Has anyone seen a picture of the giant anniversary card the fans gave trey at the end of the first set?
Or got a link?
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

redrum

Thanks.

But "Always being there"?
Did they forget about '04-'09, and the other years?
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

DoW

Quote from: redrum on July 17, 2013, 01:45:33 PM
Thanks.

But "Always being there"?
Did they forget about '04-'09, and the other years?
we had 70 volt parade and the zooma tour
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate