News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/13 - Merriweather Post Pavilion - Columbia, MD - Post-Show Discussion

Started by rowjimmy, July 13, 2013, 10:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

mehead

Almost didnt make it through the Simple but I hung in there. I did like Week4paug.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

DoW

architect needs to be a first set song.  it's not horrible but it would work so much better in the first set imo.
transition into simple was pretty bad last night.  even in 3.0, they have dropped one note to the next pretty well.
page was good last night.  trey had some nice moments.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

mbw

Quote from: DoW on July 14, 2013, 12:42:27 PM
architect needs to be a first set song.  it's not horrible but it would work so much better in the first set imo.

ISWYDT

WhatstheUse?

Totally agree Architect should only be in the first set.  Or better yet, non existent.

And Yarmouth Road is just confusingly terrible to me.... It's interesting, I've heard some people love it, and others hate it.  The chord changes in the verse and some of the modulations they do during the song just sound "wrong" to me. Mike is such a weirdo.  Chorus is cool though, catchy melody and 'expected' chord changes that are pleasing to the ear

eta. after listening to Yarmouth road again... maybe it's not the chords as much as it is mike's vocal melody doing the verses that irks me. and the bridge is just weird. The chorus is growing on me though...
Bring in the dude!

VDB

So maybe I was coming down from mushrooms at the time last night but the first several minutes of the Disease jam sounded pretty ferocious. Then the LP app cut out and I moved on to the Dicks Light and it. was. glorious.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Melt wasn't a train wreck. Page, Fish, & Mike are dialed in and nailing it.
Trey is looking for launch clearance the whole time. I want some intensity from Trey. He does not really bring that.
Side effect of not being to out and nuts is that the turn back to close it goes well enough.

No hate but a definite "meh".

mehead

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 14, 2013, 07:12:35 PM
Melt wasn't a train wreck. Page, Fish, & Mike are dialed in and nailing it.
Trey is looking for launch clearance the whole time. I want some intensity from Trey. He does not really bring that.
Side effect of not being to out and nuts is that the turn back to close it goes well enough.

No hate but a definite "meh".

Agree.  I like this version better than SPAC

gah

oh wow. this is my first time hearing architect. is this shit for real?  :shakehead:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mehead

Quote from: gah on July 15, 2013, 11:00:11 AM
oh wow. this is my first time hearing architect. is this shit for real?  :shakehead:

Real shit?  Yup

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: gah on July 15, 2013, 11:00:11 AM

Raise your glass man!!!!
Bring in the dude!

JPhishman

"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

antelope19

Giving this a proper listen today while I work at home.  Will post my thoughts later.  We'll see if it was as bad as I thought at the time, or if I had just let the weather/setlist cloud my judgement.....
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

antelope19

FWIW, here's my review:

KDF- This is one of the 3.0 songs that has grown on me.  Where as I liked Light almost instantly, I think I enjoy this one live more now.  This version is solid with some good work by Trey through the Jam.

Destiny- was a nice surprise this early in the first set.  Is it really possible that this is the 4th time I've caught this now? Relatively well played, Nice little jam part, although I always wish they would extend this section and take it WAY out there.  Overall, a good version and better than others I've caught.

Taste- A Nice trio to start the show, IMO.  A little loose to start this one though.  Nothing cringe worthy, but not nearly as tight as I prefer.  Page comes out strong and seems to be the only one who remembers how to play this?  Trey is all over the place, it just doesn't really fit although he recovers when it comes to his turn and carries the tune well.......until the ending.....pretty rough

Halfway to the Moon- Not a fan of this song, but I guess it's better than Joy as a breather tune in the first set after a nice trio to open the show.  It kinda kills the energy for me altogether though.  Well played, I guess.

20 Years Later- Ugh.  When you're hoping to get the set rolling again, this is like a kick in the balls.  Piss Break! 

Maze-  Thank You!  The version I caught last summer in Atlanta was great.  I had high hopes for this one too after the duo of suck they just subjected us to.  Early on, this one's great with some solid work from both Trey and Page.  Mike and Fish are holding it down as one would expect.  Page is just on Fire through out in this one, I wish Trey would stop with the whale though.  Overall, a solid version to get us back on track.  Not as good, IMO, as the version from ATL last summer, but solid nonetheless.   

Yarmouth Road- Back to the Suck!  WHY?!?!?!  "We love MPP, it's one of our favorite venues on the East Coast" and then you play this?  Ok, maybe I'm being harsh because of their song choices earlier in the set, but come on....... Maybe if they hadn't just played 20 years later and Halfway to the Moon, this one would sting a little less, but overall, It's an OK Mike Tune.  I'm not a huge fan, but maybe this could grow on me.  Unfortunately, this killed the set for me at the time. 

Split- They've got to knock this one out of the park to save the set, right?  Composed section is played well(I've def. heard worse in 3.0).  Jam is ok, kind of boring with lots of Trey wankfest type stuff.  Meh version.

Set 1 gets a C- Aside from Destiny, nothing really to write home about

DWD- I thought for sure they were gonna open with Piper based on what Trey was doing, but then Mike comes in with the bass.  I was pretty psyched at the time.  This is a good version of DWD.  Trey, we get it, you love the whale.  But otherwise, this is a great version, better than the average 3.0 stuff, and always a nice way to start a second set.  This might be the highlight of the show for me.  I was expecting what they had been doing all tour, a very well played opening sequence of songs to open the second set and this opener was no different, we head into.....

Free-  Ok, not what I was hoping for, but I usually enjoy this song and who doesn't love some Mike bombs?  But this was an uninspired version from everyone.  This def. falls flat.Nothing cringe worthy, but this is very forgettable.  Next.

Bouncin-  Ummmmmmm..........well played version, but where's that second set heat we've been getting this tour?  Next

Birds of a Feather- ok, now we're talkin......hopefully this goes somewhere.  Nice, funky work early by page in the composed parts.  Trey heads into the jam well and Mike and Fish are holding it down per usual.  Overall, some nice play between Page and Trey throughout the jam and Trey taking it to the peak nicely.  I like this version.  I actually kind of wish they would've stayed with it longer.

Harry Hood- Always a crowd favorite.  They seem to be playing the crap out of this one lately.  Different intro from Page, which is nice.  Crowd is eating it up.  BOAF teases from Trey, nice.  Intro is great, but shorter than normal?  Maybe I'm crazy.  Composed sections are solid and more BOAF teases from Trey into the jam part.  Unfortunately for me, I was so soaked at this point, I was just not interested in what was happening on stage.  This is one I'll admit that I wish I had been paying more attention to because I do like a good hood.  :) 

Architect-  eh......again......better slow down than others.  Not that great though....I don't see this one growing on me.

Mike's- Solid, but standard.  Nothing really imaginative going on here.

Simple- more of the same.  Solid, but standard.  Jam is at least a little interesting

Weekapaug- Fun version, but aren't they all?  The intro, where they usually get after it, again, falls a little flat.  Mike just doesn't seem into it on this night.  Page does have some funky stuff going on though out.  Page is def. MVP of this show, possibly the weekend.     

Encore- Waste- Nice start to the end of the show.  well played and again PAGE FOR MVP

GTBT-  Always fun.  This one is no different.

Overall, this show gets a C.   

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Gumbo72203

really surprised nobody else loving the Simple jam at the end, when they FINALLY are doing something DIFFERENT with it, with Trey playing those chords.

"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again