News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/14 - Merriweather Post Pavilion - Columbia, MD - Post-Show Discussion

Started by Hicks, July 14, 2013, 10:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Quote from: Insert Beer on July 15, 2013, 01:33:14 PM
Quote from: whatapiper on July 15, 2013, 12:19:23 PM
Great looking first set on paper but the short 2nd set is deceiving being only an hour plus.  How was the Golden Age throug Light?

The real meat was Light through YEM. Light got funky and segued naturally into Boogie. I thought Trey ripped during Julius and the placement was just right. YEM came as no surprise (to me at least) but the composed parts were near perfect and the jam was unique. My only complaint is that YEM did not peak as it usually does.  Still, beyond psyched that I chose to buy a ticket and go by myself last minute. Most enjoyable show I think I've been to.

Yeah, I thought the extended and dynamic little funky jam segment really begged for a big finish.

Side comment. Why does it seem as though Trey can pull out the big rawk peak consistently in some songs but consistently not in others. He can rage a Julius or a First Tube or even an Antelope, but struggles mightily to properly peak a Hood or Reba or Slave or YEM half the time. What the hell, man?
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 15, 2013, 01:52:38 PM
Great looking first set on paper but the short 2nd set is deceiving being only an hour plus.  How was the Golden Age throug Light?

The real meat was Light through YEM. Light got funky and segued naturally into Boogie. I thought Trey ripped during Julius and the placement was just right. YEM came as no surprise (to me at least) but the composed parts were near perfect and the jam was unique. My only complaint is that YEM did not peak as it usually does.  Still, beyond psyched that I chose to buy a ticket and go by myself last minute. Most enjoyable show I think I've been to.

Yeah, I thought the extended and dynamic little funky jam segment really begged for a big finish.

Side comment. Why does it seem as though Trey can pull out the big rawk peak consistently in some songs but consistently not in others. He can rage a Julius or a First Tube or even an Antelope, but struggles mightily to properly peak a Hood or Reba or Slave or YEM half the time. What the hell, man?

Because it takes more patience to jam those slow build type tunes like Hood, Slave, Reba etc. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

gah

Quote from: Hicks on July 15, 2013, 04:11:21 PM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 15, 2013, 01:52:38 PM

Because it takes more patience to jam those slow build type tunes like Hood, Slave, Reba etc.

ding ding ding...we have a winner.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

WhatstheUse?

yeah, something like Julius is just straight blues-licks... what Trey falls back on anyways.  Reba, Slave, Hood are a different beast of patience.
Bring in the dude!

Multibeast12

Just finished this Light. Nasty. And the segue to boogie is damn fine. Hope they keep this type of play up

GBL

Short 2nd set??

They are usually only 60 minutes
If this is love, I'm never going home..

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: GBL on July 15, 2013, 06:58:17 PM
Short 2nd set??  They are usually only 60 minutes

well, actually, if you're including the encore >>

Bangor        = 90 min.
SPAC 1        = 82 min. 
SPAC 2        = 78 min.
SPAC 3        = 85 min.
PNC             = 88 min.
JB                = 78 min.
MPP 1          = 93 min.
MPP 2          = 84 min.

:wink:
Bring in the dude!

DoW

I don't have hetty stats like  :wtu: but I always go in thinking 1st set will be around 75-80 minutes and 2nd set and encore will be 100 - 105 minutes.

1st set definitely seem to be longer this tour with shorter 2nd sets.
I think they just chose to take 2 of the cheesy songs Trey liked to play at the end of set 2 last year and play them at the end of set 1.
problem was easily solved.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

GBL

And if you're not including the encore and the encore break??

Obviously, I'm wrong.  But it feels like they are playing shorter 2nd sets

Meh. Haters gonna hate

VA $l!m

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

GBL

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 15, 2013, 07:24:50 PM
Quote from: GBL on July 15, 2013, 06:58:17 PM
Short 2nd set??  They are usually only 60 minutes

well, actually, if you're including the encore >>

Bangor        = 90 min.
SPAC 1        = 82 min. 
SPAC 2        = 78 min.
SPAC 3        = 85 min.
PNC             = 88 min.
JB                = 78 min.
MPP 1          = 93 min.
MPP 2          = 84 min.

:wink:

My two favorite 2nd sets so far are the shortest.. and both very close to 60 minutes

Insert Beer

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 15, 2013, 11:03:29 AM
In one of the most symbolic moments in recent years, Trey came out for the second set of Sunday night's show at Merriweather wearing a t-shirt!

Mr. Miner really loves to over dramatize things.  Maybe Trey took of his long sleeve flannel shirt because it was HOT AS BALLS.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: GBL on July 15, 2013, 07:28:36 PM
And if you're not including the encore and the encore break??

Obviously, I'm wrong.  But it feels like they are playing shorter 2nd sets

Meh. Haters gonna hate

No idea. I just pulled those stats from jambase.com to bust your balls.

IMO, any set longer than 90 minutes of ACTUAL playing is too long (obviously, if they're killin' it -- this is not true) and anything less than 70 minutes is a bit slacking.  between 70-90 is golden.
Bring in the dude!

mbw

been skipping around.  the stash jam started off really cool.  super chill, really pretty.
would have loved for them to continue in an organic way, but then trey had to start some wicky wicky fake funk crap and that ruined the vibe.
mule was cool.
the funk in ice however, was really cool.  nice ice.

light didnt really do a whole lot for me, but yeah the seg was good.  they are definitely improving in that category.
still gotta take the yem for a spin.

kill the whale and i think 2013 is gonna be a good year.

twatts

Quote from: VA $l!m on July 15, 2013, 07:33:21 PM
i heard there was some Math goin on in here? :rockout:

The correct term would be "maths": 

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill