News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

11/2 - Boardwalk Hall - Atlantic City, NJ - Post Show Discussion and Review

Started by runawayjimbo, November 02, 2013, 11:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lifeboy

I LOVE this Theme. Skipped straight to it bc I was incredibly intrigued by the idea of a funky Theme. So cool.

WOW, this Tweezer is ser biz.

So fucking good. There's not a lot (if any) of that overly-used, recycled 3.0 "funk". It's a pretty new type of jam, which isn't common for 3.0

Really like what this band has been doing lately. :clap:

I've only listened to Theme and Tweezer from this show so far, so hopefully I find something else I dig.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Lifeboy on November 03, 2013, 09:00:55 PM
I've only listened to Theme and Tweezer from this show so far, so hopefully I find something else I dig.

Peep the Disease > Piper and of course why the fuck wouldn't you then listen to Roggae too.

ETA: second set through Tweezer was so good I forgot just how smoking that Theme was.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Itsnotanexperience

cactusfan

and here i thought Theme was going to go far out someplace... but it's just a normal Theme, with iffy playing by Trey, with a funk groove afterwards. which is a perfectly nice funk groove and all...

but it's a far cry from something like the Japan '00 Theme.

mattstick

birdman

Quote from: cactusfan on November 04, 2013, 01:24:56 PM
and here i thought Theme was going to go far out someplace... but it's just a normal Theme, with iffy playing by Trey, with a funk groove afterwards. which is a perfectly nice funk groove and all...

Your expectations.
You must temper them.
Paug FTMFW!

anthrax

the weekend rocked! 

i thought the venue was killer.  i loved the set up because everything in town was close and it was super easy to meet up with friends in other hotels.  and there weren't a whole lotta rules on that boardwalk.  the shows were very above average, with friday being something truly special.  the tiny hats were stylish.  but the crew made it over the top.  great hanging with you all  :beers:   

JPhishman

Quote from: anthrax on November 04, 2013, 07:14:47 PM
great hanging with you all  :beers:   

:beers: to that. So many great memories from the weekend flowing right now. Showing up to our spot Saturday night to find you, Igbo and Barnesy already there was priceless. Fading Time w/ RJ at Friday night's jaunt. Feeling like I was in VA at times. SF's sick crib and dance moves. Caravan and crew's dope costumes. Emay showing up Saturday with a classic grin. Birdman and crew omnipresent and raging. WTU providing some of my favorite Phish after parties of all time. You guys all absolutely crushed this weekend. And I don't even have to listen back to the shows to know it was all worth it. (Though the highlights I've revisited thus far are real nasty!)

Paug FTMFW!

:clap:
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

cactusfan

Quote from: birdman on November 04, 2013, 06:01:04 PM

Your expectations.
You must temper them.

they are! then everyone raves about an amazing funked out Theme, and my Expect-O-Meter goes all screwy.

i blame society.

mistercharlie

Quote from: cactusfan on November 04, 2013, 07:55:22 PM

Your expectations.
You must temper them.

they are! then everyone raves about an amazing funked out Theme, and my Expect-O-Meter goes all screwy.

i blame society.

I blame the hypnotoad.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

cactusfan

Quote from: mistercharlie on November 04, 2013, 08:19:07 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on November 04, 2013, 07:55:22 PM

Your expectations.
You must temper them.

i blame society.

I blame the hypnotoad.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

rowjimmy

Have I even posted in this thread about this second set?

Because I really should.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

VDB

Listened to Limb on tonight.

The Mike's Groove was not terribly jammy but it was a pretty hot non-jammy version.

Nicely jammed Disease that I wish I was writing about while listening to, but instead the details escape me.

Solid jamming in the Piper, including start-stop (Trey indulging the woo-ers).

Nice, soaring Roggae.

Ditto the Waves.

Tweezer -- great sustained funk work that doesn't get boring. It comes to a quick stop and then the Tweezer theme returns, funkified. They play around with this ever so briefly then begin the long, satisfying slowdown. This doesn't explore too many foreign territories but, like so many "one-dimensional" funk workouts of, say, fall 1997, this one doesn't lose your interest.

Typically boisterous Julius.

I've pointed out before how much I'm not a fan of late second set BDTNLs. I like the song just fine... but late in the second just never seems like the right place for the mood this song brings. I also don't like that this tune was at one time a pretty reliable vehicle for type-II exploration but that's been essentially abandoned nowadays. That all said, this version has some nice moments in the jam, so it's not a total loss. Fine to listen to at home.

Zero -- as maligned as this song is, I find it translates pretty well live, so I'll resist the urge to ding the show for the selection from my at-home listening perspective. Besides, this version rages pretty hard, with Trey exploring his bag of shred-tricks before they bring it home.

Monkey/Tweeprise -- you can't complain.

All told, this second set brings the goods with almost nary a dull moment. Disease through Tweezer is particularly powerful.
Is this still Wombat?