News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

(Edit:) The Phish songs you don't always like!

Started by hachiemachie, December 11, 2005, 06:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ucusty

man i remember when guyute was encored hampton 1997 it was sick

jephrey

Actually, Piper was an instant favorite when it came out and has slid down the list over time.  I think in the beginning, the acceleration was slower but I always loved the frenzy.  Although there have been notable recent versions that segue into other stuff and are just intense, I really liked that buildup which wasn't there as much near the end.  It was like slow > frenzy instead of slow > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > faster > frenzy.

Just my thoughts on that great tune.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Itsnotanexperience

phan003 -

i hear what you're saying about Piper, but for me, the first time i heard it i was mezmerized...........one of my buddy's felt that piper was a weekapaug-riff, rip-off........but that simply isn't the case......they're not the same chords and they're totally different songs.............i really can't think of a single piper i don't like.........and piper was, to me, one of THE jam monsters, post-hiatus........

oh yeah, i HATE Friday.

Itsnotanexperience

hmmm.........interesting point about piper.........still, the following versions rage:

7/8/00
7/19/03
6/19/04
6/26/04

Itsnotanexperience

oh yeah, and the 9/23/00 wasn't too shabby either........

judeoflife

For me, it's fluffhead and harry hood, although I've heard versions of both that are sweet.   Unlike other phish tunes, I seem to like the softer parts in these two than the jams.  I'm not a fan of Guyute- but that's more b/c of the person it reminds me of, rather than the song itself.  

spaced

Lifeboy, Talk, Foam, Horn, My Friend My Friend, Prince Caspian

Also, I like the Squirming Coil and Maze, but I've gotten sick of them.

rowjimmy

Hicks

I used to hate Foam too, but I love it now, that quiet part in the middle is the butter.

I actually didn't like Tweezer when I first heard Phish, I think I was probably basing my opinion off of the version on a Live One, at that early stage of my development I couldn't get past the stupid lyrics, I mean we can all agree that it is a pretty stupid song.  But then I got a tape of 10-19-91 and I saw the light and never looked back. . .

I'll usually skip any bluegrass song if I'm near the player, except for My Sweet One. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sophist

Quote from: Itsnotanexperience on December 12, 2005, 02:03:33 PM
phan003 -

i hear what you're saying about Piper, but for me, the first time i heard it i was mezmerized...........one of my buddy's felt that piper was a weekapaug-riff, rip-off........but that simply isn't the case......they're not the same chords and they're totally different songs.............i really can't think of a single piper i don't like.........and piper was, to me, one of THE jam monsters, post-hiatus........

oh yeah, i HATE Friday.
Dont get me wrong, its grown on me.  I love piper now, but when I first heard it, i had mixed feelings.  for a good post hiatus piper, check out
7-9-03.

I used to hate Foam too, but I love it now, that quiet part in the middle is the butter.

I actually didn't like Tweezer when I first heard Phish, I think I was probably basing my opinion off of the version on a Live One, at that early stage of my development I couldn't get past the stupid lyrics, I mean we can all agree that it is a pretty stupid song.  But then I got a tape of 10-19-91 and I saw the light and never looked back. . .

I'll usually skip any bluegrass song if I'm near the player, except for My Sweet One. 
hahaha, i remember the first time I heard the tweezer from a live one.  It was before I liked phish.  My friends and I were at a Taco Mac, and my buddy found it on the juke machine and played it!!!! :evil: :-D  I remember thinking "what the *$%& is this?"  I thought it was awful, who would have known that A live one would become one of my favorite albums of all time.  As for seeing the light, I had a similar experience ikki, my conversion happened when I heard the YEM from 10/31/95.  My same buddy had the LP of it, and just popped it in during a roadtrip and I havent looked back since :-D.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

mr.apricot

...and while we doing the airing of the grievances (in honor of festivus)

Harry Hood intro.  stop dicking around and get to the awesome part it already.   (the impatient american argument -- how dare they make me reach for the fast forward button)

Dirt.   all in all a great song, but that thing had run its course way before it made it on to an album.  I find that I resent the song because of that fact.  ...and it has whistling in it. 

dinner and a movie goes without saying. 

mock song = cringe-worthy

hmmm, what else

mattstick

After reading most of your comments in this thread, it's obvious that I'm the most hardcore Phish fan here.

8-)   :-P

antelope19

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 12, 2005, 02:46:54 PM
tubthumping.

Only time i wanted to leave

:lol: :-o :lol:  I couldn't agree more!!!!!  What a disappointment to such a wonderful weekend.  I hated that tune when it was done originally, and I hated it even more when the boys encored with it.  I just remember thinking to myself, "No way.  They wouldn't, They couldn't, They ARE!!!!!!!!  AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

August

dinner and a movie is still one of my favorites.
when they busted it out in vegas of 2000 i was more than pumped.
that shit at brooklyn was a kick for al the kids that missed it.
same goes for the two spocks after vegas
here is my wink :wink:
sir-winks-a-lot

August