News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Summer Tour 2014

Started by rowjimmy, March 11, 2014, 03:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

almost every show this tour has a jam/song thats 20+ min,
this is what we have been wanting right?

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

Marmar

While the music is getting better as of late, I've noticed a trend with some songs.

Some of the best songs for jam potential are being played, their timings have shown them to be shorter than usual....IE: they aren't using them to jam.....on the flip side, normally shorter songs are getting some lengthening.....That, and the set structure is getting more and more GD like (sorry but what else is there to compare it to?). 1st sets contain songs, and 2nd sets are where the "jamz" are. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, but for the most part I am starting to see that formula.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

DoW

Quote from: Marmar on July 20, 2014, 01:12:59 PM
1st sets contain songs, and 2nd sets are where the "jamz" are. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, but for the most part I am starting to see that formula.
you think is new to this year?  I don't study setlists anymore and I don't listen to a high percentage of shows but I have felt this especially true the past few years.
2nd set usually starts with the jam.  they "segue" (as much as Phish segues) the whole first ha;f of the set.
it's usually the same sings a tour that are jammed out.  rock n roll a few years ago, carini last year, fuego seems to taking that role this tour.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with this formula and you can take enjoyment int he shows but this seems to me that it has been happening this way for the past few years.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

mehead

Quote from: DoW on July 20, 2014, 01:22:23 PM
Quote from: Marmar on July 20, 2014, 01:12:59 PM
1st sets contain songs, and 2nd sets are where the "jamz" are. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, but for the most part I am starting to see that formula.
you think is new to this year?  I don't study setlists anymore and I don't listen to a high percentage of shows but I have felt this especially true the past few years.
2nd set usually starts with the jam.  they "segue" (as much as Phish segues) the whole first ha;f of the set.
it's usually the same sings a tour that are jammed out.  rock n roll a few years ago, carini last year, fuego seems to taking that role this tour.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with this formula and you can take enjoyment int he shows but this seems to me that it has been happening this way for the past few years.

Couldn't agree more.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Marmar

no, not that it is new to this year in the formula.....just the songs the formula is being applied on....I could have stated that a lil clearer I suppose.

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

DoW

Quote from: Marmar on July 20, 2014, 02:20:01 PM
no, not that it is new to this year in the formula.....just the songs the formula is being applied on....I could have stated that a lil clearer I suppose.
then, yeah, I agree.  the songs change but the formula is fairly consistent (definitely have exceptions).
I just feel like tours become fairly predictable, but the music is still enjoyable.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Marmar

Ya...it's getting to be cookie cutter.....

justjezmund

Even though it didn't really result in much and hasn't happen again yet, I am still happy to see this tour produce a song go bigger in the first set(Randall's gin).  And that hasn't seem to happen in a while.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

susep

week off time to take stock.  Tour hightlights?  Mine are as follows:

Hood - 1July
CDT - 13July
Wombat - 18July

some other nugs here and there ie. 3July Limb for ex. however those are my Top 3.  what are your personal highlights?

emay

^ agreed with that except I would swap out wombat with either the 7/20 Wedge or the 7/13 tweez

antelope19

Official MPP shirt.

Might be the first phish t-shirt I've liked in a LONG time.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Buffalo Budd

^^^I would definitely grab one of those.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mattstick

Thought about doing Webcast + T-Shirt combo, but it came to $50 and that's just not cool.

Superfreakie

Quote from: susep on July 23, 2014, 10:46:03 AM
week off time to take stock.  Tour hightlights?  Mine are as follows:

Hood - 1July
CDT - 13July
Wombat - 18July

some other nugs here and there ie. 3July Limb for ex. however those are my Top 3.  what are your personal highlights?

'bout the same. I seem to have really enjoyed the Piper if I remember from SPAC, but have yet to re-listen sober.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.