News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07-08-2014 Mann Music Center, Philadelphia, Pa - Post Show Discussion

Started by GBL, July 09, 2014, 12:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoW

fair enough.  my bad.  I don't read many of the reviews threads anymore because I don't really listen to all that many shows anymore and have nothing to contribute.
I didn't read the 7/1 review thread except maybe the instant reaction to the show.

I agree with some of the other parts of your post and disagree with other parts of it.
I'm glad you still enjoy listening to the recent stuff. there is just too much good music out there (new and old) to waste time on stuff that doesn't make you happy.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

VDB

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 09, 2014, 02:13:04 PM
I don't understand how those Trey ~> can continue to happen w/o the other 3 member saying something about it. How is what he does "okay"?

"No talking" rule still in effect?
Is this still Wombat?

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: sophist on July 09, 2014, 01:59:36 PM

I don't know what the fuck a "bitter bob" is.  But the exchange made me laugh. 

LOL, it's you at a PH show without droogz.
Anyway, I was just kidding around, I could care less if you like what you hear or not, it truly doesn't affect my experience at all.  Glad you're posting again, that is all.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

rowjimmy

Trey teases BOC's Godzilla early in the Feugo jam.
He plays through the refrain melody twice.

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

GBL

Quote from: mattstick on July 09, 2014, 12:27:57 PM

When are they going to ditch the "Viking Warriors" lyrical section of Fuego?

Those last two lines they tagged on before the jam seem really awkward to me as well.

I really liked the Fuego jam and thought they were listening pretty well throughout -- I def agree with Ramz that it was similar 3.0 territory but I dig it. That's what they are going for these days -- all the big jams culminate in I>IV and/or IV>I chord jams.

Kinda went downhill after that for me though.  The Line does not belong in the second set and the Tweezer > Ghost combo was pretty rough all around. I don't understand how those Trey ~> can continue to happen w/o the other 3 member saying something about it. How is what he does "okay"?

I was going to post the same exact thing late last night about why he does that.

I just don't understand why he thinks that's ok either, but then again am I supposed to understand?

It definitely frustrates me because it kills the flow so much
If this is love, I'm never going home..

McGrupp

Quote from: GBL on July 09, 2014, 03:22:12 PM
Quote from: mattstick on July 09, 2014, 12:27:57 PM

When are they going to ditch the "Viking Warriors" lyrical section of Fuego?

Those last two lines they tagged on before the jam seem really awkward to me as well.

I really liked the Fuego jam and thought they were listening pretty well throughout -- I def agree with Ramz that it was similar 3.0 territory but I dig it. That's what they are going for these days -- all the big jams culminate in I>IV and/or IV>I chord jams.

Kinda went downhill after that for me though.  The Line does not belong in the second set and the Tweezer > Ghost combo was pretty rough all around. I don't understand how those Trey ~> can continue to happen w/o the other 3 member saying something about it. How is what he does "okay"?

I was going to post the same exact thing late last night about why he does that.

I just don't understand why he thinks that's ok either, but then again am I supposed to understand?

It definitely frustrates me because it kills the flow so much

I got to see it right up close, and here's what I saw during that ~> ghost:

Fishman was off in his own world. Eyes closed, head to the side, probably just listening to Mike.

Page, playing to Fish and Trey, slowly becoming confused and kinda dropping out, while giving Trey a few weird glances.

Trey looking down at his pedal board, forcing the transition (lord knows why), and when nobody is reciprocating, looking back at Fish, who isn't looking at him. He continues to push it, although I was really hoping he would just go back to Tweezerland.

Mike = pissed off looking, trying to hold it all together.

They just need to communicate better. They need to pay attention to what each other are doing and Trey needs to learn some fucking restraint and patience.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

GBL

Restraint and patience would be great, but he's the fucking leader so they go where he wants to go when he wants to go..

:|

McGrupp

Quote from: GBL on July 09, 2014, 03:48:49 PM
Restraint and patience would be great, but he's the fucking leader so they go where he wants to go when he wants to go..

Page has been leading most of the jams...
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

phil

Quote from: McGrupp on July 09, 2014, 03:54:01 PM
Quote from: GBL on July 09, 2014, 03:48:49 PM

Page has been leading most of the jams...

But Trey is like... the leader, man
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

GBL

Also what sucks is that the Tweezer was on Fire, it never got the chance to really take off because of the terrible decision by Trey to go into Ghost, but it was fire while it lasted

danje

Enjoyed the Fuego. Doesn't bother me that it's similar to SPAC's. As long as they're pushing jams I don't care if its a recycled idea.

mbw

not to beat a dead horse, but i just listened to that ghost seg.
wow.

sophist

Quote from: mbw on July 09, 2014, 10:12:40 PM
not to beat a dead horse, but i just listened to that ghost seg.
wow.
like a dad's dick out in the open

That uncomfortable
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: GBL on July 09, 2014, 04:04:15 PM
Also what sucks is that the Tweezer was on Fire, it never got the chance to really take off because of the terrible decision by Trey to go into Ghost, but it was fire while it lasted

Just listened to both of these as well, and the (non)transition notwithstanding, I liked the Tweezer, and very much liked the Ghost once the vocals dropped out. I would have dug this Ghost at the show very much.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.